and not be able to use my water system.

Any comments

Regards
Kyte in NW PA
14 REPLIES 14

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in Myrtle Beach Travel Park a few years ago. Normally go to Florida but put Dad in Nursing Home, he passed a week after we got to Myrtle. We decided to stay in Myrtle for the winter, coldest winter they had in 15 years. Use your head and a few precautions and you will be fine. I spent a lot of time helping others thaw sewer hoses and water hoses. Remember to keep propane tanks full. We had a great time with the snowbird activities. Ron
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each of my daughters keeps a room for me. Might normally be an office or sewing room, but it is there. Only time I've taken the RV was when more family was visiting, and then it was a camp driveway thing.

Both are still moving around, we would visit the northern daughter in Summer, the southern daughter in Winter. Places like Nashville, San Antonio, Biloxi, Fort Bragg, southeastern England. Right now both are in places that are cold in Winter, won't be snowbirding with them, but have brother and cousins in Florida.

Jacksonville to Wilmington area should be cool camping weather through November, and OK again in late February or early March. Not necessarily warm, but outside the icy part of winter.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Kyte wrote:
OP here,

The only reason I said southeastern NC was because I
have a daughter that lives in Jacksonville with a nice
campground nearby. I may have to do some more thinking
on this.

Thanks for the comments

Regards
Kyte in NW PA

We're 20 minutes from there (see my earlier post comments.) You could probably enjoy a nice visit with enough notice to depart or winterize if there was a hard freeze coming. But I don't see it as a snowbird option.

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a daughter that lived there, I would pick some warm days and go stay awhile. I like the challange of staying in the cold with my RVs but I always have a backup plan and a backup heating source as well. But for long term I would go a little further south.
mtnman

Kyte
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

The only reason I said southeastern NC was because I
have a daughter that lives in Jacksonville with a nice
campground nearby. I may have to do some more thinking
on this.

Thanks for the comments

Regards
Kyte in NW PA

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived on that part of the coast, less than a mile from the ocean. Two years, two winters, drove through an ice storm to initially move down there. The ocean stabilizes temperature, keeps it from getting too cold for long, also keeps it from getting very warm. Where it is stablized depends on how close to shore is the Gulf Stream.

Temperatures will be chilly for at least two months, maybe three. It was regularly cold enough that our heat pump was not adequate, had to go to "emergency heat" which was resistance for us, and quite expensive. You will have to deal with the occasional freeze, sometimes for several days at a time. When winter weather hits the coast, it is seldom snow, more often sleet and freezing rain.

The Atlantic Coast, right on the coast, is RV-able in winter from about southern Delaware on down, but you can't always get close enough to the ocean. It is not the sort of climate most snowbirders seek. I know people from the area who go to South Florida for the winter. Even northeast Florida, Jacksonville to Daytona Beach, gets down to freezing time to time, been there trying to tent camp at Daytona in January.

If I wanted "livable" winter weather on the coast, I would seek the Texas Gulf Coast, which tends to be windy, or the Florida-Alabama-Mississippi Gulf Coast, which tends to be cool and wet, but seldom really cold.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived on the NC coast for almost seven years and agree with other posts. Yes, it definitely freezes here and sometimes snows.

Furthermore, the grass turns brown all winter, a lot of businesses close for a month or two, and it is not my idea of a scenic destination you'd plan to visit on purpose.

We head south to the Keys every year.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, I live at Holden Beach,about 8miles from Shallotte NC. About 30miles north of MB SC. Typical year u will have to deal with freezing temps. Usually for only a few days at a time. But no guaranty. I have seen years with temps no lower than 28 or so and I have seen 12 inches of snow and really cold for a week ( very very unusual but could happen ). We have a few people staying at the pier oceanfront during the winter. Don't know what they do for frost protection. About 30 miles n of MB so weather is about the same. I can leave my outside s and b water on 90% of the time if I am home. If we get a cold spell I cut it off and drain it for a few days then turn it on again. Probably could the same with rv if u have some underbelly protection. I winterize s&b ( just cut off water ) and TT if I am not going to be around.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
My sister lives in Wilmington NC. This past February (2014) it was so cold the pipes in her new house froze. So it does get cold in NC.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the mountains of NC and it gets cold here. Eastern NC gets cold as well, you just have a little less of it. You have more warmer days but it still gets cold. I doubt your water system will freeze as long as your RV has heat on but I would use my fresh water tank to avoid the water hose from freezing up. The damp air there feels colder than what you think. I could stay a few days there but no all winter.
mtnman

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Travel just a few more miles to Myrtle Beach, SC. Lots of folks winter there. You will still have the possible of a freeze.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that and yes your water lines and tanks will freeze UNLESS you take precautions. If you have heated tanks and use heat tape or insulate your water hose then you will be OK. Myrtle Beach, SC which is just a bit south has a small group of snowbirds.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The area around Shallotte NC has several year round CGs. You could call and ask about any problems they may have. I would think the problem would come in you hose, and not the water hookup. You may have to wrap the water hose with heat tape to keep it from freezing. Other than that. You should be good.

BTW. The beaches close to Shallotte include Oak Island, Long Beach, Yaupon Beach, Caswell, Holden, Sunset Beach, with Southport not far away with a ferry to Pleasure Island ,and Carolina, and Kure Beaches. Wilmington is also near by. And it is around an hour to Myrtle Beach.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned if it were my rig. We are bikers and it would be too cold for us. We go to Florida in January.
How about talking to the campground personnel where you plan to stay to discuss how they prevent water problems.
Added later; some campgrounds will charge you for repair of their site faucets if you leave the hose attached and the water freezes and damages their equipment.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)