cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spring vacation in Arkansas

mabel
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a vacation in May in Arkansas.
Any tips on places to go and stay.
We like the out doors, hiking, and historical things, natural wonders, gardens, etc.
24 REPLIES 24

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Eureka Springs is nice. Fort Smith is historical since it was the stop off going into Indian Territory (Oklahoma). Just south of Ft Smith is Subiaco Abbey, the peanut brittle the monks make is great. Just South of there is Magazine Mountain, the highest point in Arkansas. Near there is Hot Springs where Al Capone frequented. The fountains are very hot, giving rise to the famous baths. Just a few thoughts.

upstech76
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for petit Jean, lots of trails through the mountains.
2013 Forest River Puma 28'

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `Arkansas tourism' and read on.
We visited the Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock which is worth at least 1/2 day or more if you are really into Clinton history.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Petit Jean SP - amazing place. A lot of sites have the water and electric on the passenger side.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Grew up in Arkansas - spent most of my junior high and high school years on Lake Greeson at Kirby Landing COE park.

My favorites in Arkansas are:

1) Devil's Den State Park - between Fayetteville and Fort Smith - be sure to come in from the north via AR-170 from the town of West Fork

2) Petit Jean SP - amazing place

3) Thompkins Bend COE Park on Lake Ouachita near Hot Springs

4) Lake Catherine SP - near Hot Springs

None of the other parks listed above is 'bad' all are worthy of a visit. But you probably aren't planning to spend two years touring Arkansas, which some could easily do.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest the JFK COE park at Heber Springs it is below the dam on the little red river, or the Maumelle coe park on the arkansas river in Little Rock or the Downtown Riverside rv park in NLR, it is on the ark river across from the Clinton Pres Libary and all other attractions in the LR area, it is 50 amp only full hook ups
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have camped OFF-ROAD all over the Northern Part of Arkansas... Alot of beautiful places with lakes and mtn high country.

My working days back in the 60s for the Air Force out of Little Rock put us into alot of the way back off the road places working on the Titan II Missile Sites electronics. You always carried fishing gear on every trip.

Pull up a google map on Arkansas towns and type in RV CAMPGROUNDS. There are camping places all over Arkansas... Mouse click for reviews...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of beautiful natural areas in Arkansas. We like the area around Eureka Springs and go every few years. A number of RV park options from private RV parks to state/COE campgrounds. But it is very touristy if that is not your thing.

We especially like Petit Jean State Park. Another beautiful area and the park has lots of hiking trails. Fairly remote area but only a little over an hour or so to Little Rock for a day trip excursion.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Northwest Arkansas has a lot to offer. In Bentonville is the Crystal Bridges museum, even if you are not a huge art buff it's a beautiful place to experience and it's all free from the Wal Mart foundation. Outside of Rogers is Beaver Lake with 12 Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds, all have water & elec campsites with a dump onsite. We work at Prairie Creek cg and it has 112 sites but few for bigger rigs. Eureka Springs is a unique little town. There are several state parks that are awesome, Devil's Den is beautiful, at Crater of Diamonds state park you can hunt for diamonds. Last year we visited the Clinton presidential library in Little Rock, also a beautiful setting and interesting.

BJ_NW_Arkansas
Explorer
Explorer
What part of the State will you be in?

Lots of camping opportunities through out the state. Large lakes in the Northwest and Northern part of the state. Lots of State Parks. I-40 Follows the Arkansas River for a good way and it has a lot of Corps of Engineer Parks, Lock and Dams, etc. Clinton Library and other stuff in Little Rock area. Arkansas Post in the Southwest area.
2003 Newmar Scottsdale, SDCA 3257, 8.1 Vortec