cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to do in Charleston, SC

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife and I are going to Charleston the end of May for 4 days. We are staying at the Mt. Pleasant KOA. Tried to get into James Island but they only had 2 days available of the 4 we needed.

We have never been to Charleston before and would like some input on some things to do in the area. I noticed that there's an aircraft carrier there (USS Yorktown). Can you actually board the ship for a tour? I am a bit of a history buff and stuff like that really interest me. My wife is more into shopping and food (she is a food network junkie). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
16 REPLIES 16

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The aircraft carrier is at a location called Patriots Point. The have a submarine, coast guard vessel and musuem.

May also consider a trip out to Fort Sumter which not only wil take you to the fort but also give you a water tour of the harbor.

If into nature, you could consider a day trip by ferry to Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge.

Back to history would be the plantations in the area. The closest to KOA Mt Pleasant would be Boone Hall Plantation.

Since it will be hot by June, an evening stroll in downtown Charleston will feel wonderful with the cooler ocean breeze coming into town. And what better way than on a ghost tour. Either (Walking tour) or carriage tour.

Problem will be deciding how to spend your limited time.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. The carrier is a Patriot's Point and open for touring for a fee. Other ships and a Vietnam display are there too. Fort Sumter is interesting as is The Battery and Old Charleston. Also the market is interesting as well as many historic homes. Tours leaving from the visitor's center is a good way to get an overview of the sites and history.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT