Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah's Old Burr Trail

Clattertruck
Explorer
Explorer
Torrey UT Trip Report: The Burr Trail

We have been attracted to Southeast Utah for many years. Edward Abbey said," God goes here when he's tired of listening to the whining". It has been described as the land of standing rocks where the color red permeates everything.
We drove from Colorado to the Thousand Lakes RV Park, a little west of Torrey, Utah.

Our site had good shade.

The view from our site as luck would have it was nice.

Main Street in Torrey. A pleasant town located on State Route 24 at an elevation of 6839 ft. The population in 2010 was 182.

Our plan was to travel the Burr Trail, which we only vaguely remembered from the 1970s when it was a dirt trail. The Burr Trail is named after John Atlantic Burr, a homesteader and rancher.
In 1876, John Burr soon developed a trail to move cattle back and forth between winter and summer ranges and to market, known as the Burr Trail.

Boulder Town is 37 miles south of Torrey where the Burr Trail road starts. From there, the distance to the Notom Road is about 37 miles. It is a paved without a centerline until it crosses the Capitol Reef border where it changes to gravel.

Highway 12 goes to 9600 ft. south of Torrey. It was a very hazy morning looking east to the Henry Mountains.

The start of the Burr Trail drive soon shows Navajo Sandstone which is light colored.

Navajo Sandstone was originally a Sahara like desert of dunes, which was compressed under later sediments.

Winding across the Steep Creek Bench.

The road enters beautiful Long Canyon, which runs for 7.4 miles.

The wash was dry even though there has been rain a couple of days before. Water below the surface feed the rich stands of cottonwoods.

Late summer flowers.

Rattlesnake Bench on the left has been cut by the grinding of canyon erosion.

The right side of the canyon is the King Bench.

Rains leave a telltale sign.

Long Overlook sees White Canyon Flats with the Henry Mountains to the east.

Lunch at the overlook in hot sun. We were blessed with a fine day.

After entering Capitol Reef NM the last 19 miles to Notom Road are gravel.

View from the switchbacks to the Grand Bench and Notom road, which heads left (north) 34 miles to Highway 24.At this time the Notom road was closed due to flooding so we would have to wait a couple of days before trying it.

Looking back west to the wall of the switchbacks. This is a slot in the Water Pocket Fold of Capitol Reef NM.

We returned on the Burr to Boulder Town. The 37 mile drive was just as good going west. The delicious greens of trees in the red canyons are a visual delight.

Coming out of Long Canyon I found a little spot to park to get this photo. The walls are Wingate sandstone. Of all the things that the desert landscape offers, runs in tight walled canyons are the best. That goes for driving, hiking, and riding.

Ron and Margot
Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.
7 REPLIES 7

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pics, thanks for sharing them.

I had been under the impression that 4WD was recommended for the Burr Trail, but it appears to be very good road. Probably my memory is off. Now that I know better, I'll be sure to drive it next time I'm over that way.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
There's also a great cafe "The Burr Trail Grill" at the West end of Burr Trail Road where it meets Highway 12.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
There's a great little cafe in Torrey that has a great breakfast menu and the best coffee I have ever had. I don't remember the name of it but it's not important because it's probably the only one in town.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Ron and Margot, Nice looking, great picts and description. We plan on spending some fall time there next year. Going down to the Colorado/Green confluence too. Putting this in the DW's trip tic.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We only made it about halfway before storms turned us back.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We did that beautiful trip a couple of years ago, but probably made a mistake in also heading down to Bullfrog Bay on Lake Powell. It was an interesting trip, but way too much travel on rough gravel roads.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

byways
Explorer
Explorer
Ron and Margot,
Thank you for sharing a beautiful journey! Your words made me feel a part of the trip. Maybe my wife and I could take that route sometime. We have a son in southwestern Utah, so getting to the vicinity is certainly a possibility.