cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle shopping: Large SUV with removable rear seats?

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone. I'm in the market for an older used full-size SUV (think Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Excursion class) that will work for both my everyday driving needs and for solo boondocking in remote public lands. My main question: Is there a model that has 2nd and 3rd row seats designed to be easily removed?

I know most SUVs have seats that fold flat, but that's not good enough. I always ride alone and these seats will never be used; they're just dead weight and taking up valuable cargo space. I want to pull the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely (hopefully, without major surgery involving sawing or torch cutting) and have a relatively flat floor left behind where I can put a single-wide mattress on one side and a locking cabinet for my gear on the other side.

I'm aware that there are vans which work this way, but I've rejected the idea of van ownership. Few vans, if any, are going to have the 4WD and ground clearance I need on the remote backcountry "roads" I explore, which are deeply rutted and high centered. Subarus can get around out there, but they're far too small inside.

Please keep in mind that I'm shopping for an older used vehicleโ€ฆunder $15K. Any year will do, but I'd prefer something modern enough to have anti-lock brakes, air bags, and an easy availability of repair parts.

So, is there a large SUV that has fully removable 2nd and 3rd row seats? If nothing has seats that are designed to be easily removed, then I guess I'll have get the vehicle I like best and cut the seats out the hard way.

Thanks for your help!

Randy
17 REPLIES 17

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Suburban and Tahoe 3rd row sears remove with no tools and have handles and little roller wheels to help move them.

Good to know. I'll have to take a look at the second row and see what I can do with that. Thanks!

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
Expedition EL 3rd row folds flat, no need to manhandle a 200lb seat to remove it.

Handy. Thanks for the reply!

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Go to YouTube and search for "living in a chevy suburban". There are several videos of DIY vehicles similar to what you describe. Also a number of minivans done that way.

Will do. Thanks!

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Go to YouTube and search for "living in a chevy suburban". There are several videos of DIY vehicles similar to what you describe. Also a number of minivans done that way.

Yeah, considered trucks briefly but definitely don't want to have to go outside to get from one end to the other.

Most vans I looked at online failed my expectations, except those insanely-priced Mercedes travel vans. But I'll take a look at a few more vans when I'm poking around SUVs on the used lots. Thanks for the reply!

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Not sure if the cabin interior is similar to the truck, as they claim to share the same chassis, but I had a late 90s pickup that I unbolted the rear "split bench" seats, and bolted in a piece of 3/4" ply to give me a large flat space for "whatever".

Might want to visit a used car lot and poke around with a flashlight, I would wager the seats un-bolt. Having them welded in makes no sense from a manufacturing perspective.

You will have foot wells, the transmission / drive shaft tunnel and possible rear wheel wells "in the way" when you remove the seats, it won't be a nice flat floor.

Yeah, I think I'll have to dig around in a few lots and see what looks best in person. Thanks for the reply!

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
My 96 Suburban the third row comes out and the 2nd folds flat. At 6'5" I can stretch out and be comfortable. But because of the wheel wells there is only 49 inches across in the rear but it is wider just behind the drivers seat.

Thank you! I'll check one out.

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
My excursion 2nd seat folds flat and the 3rd seat come out.

Good to know. Thanks!

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
I don't know about the newer Suburbans, the last one I had was a 95 and the third row seat came out while the second row folded flat. That made an area for a mattress

Thanks for the info!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban and Tahoe 3rd row sears remove with no tools and have handles and little roller wheels to help move them.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Expedition EL 3rd row folds flat, no need to manhandle a 200lb seat to remove it.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of thoughts...

It sounds to me like you're basically describing a pickup truck with a cap or a truck camper. The main drawback vs. an SUV for what you describe is that you can't (easily) get from the cab to the back without going around outside; but you can easily get ground clearance, four wheel drive, a flat bed area, and all the other goodies you're looking for.

Vans, while rarely four wheel drive, do generally have fairly decent ground clearance--I think at least equal to that of a Subaru (albeit on a longer and wider chassis, so less maneuvarable and possibly less capable in that regard). I wouldn't write them off without at least doing a cursory check to see if they actually might be usable. Maybe you've done that already, and if so, please disregard this suggestion.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if the cabin interior is similar to the truck, as they claim to share the same chassis, but I had a late 90s pickup that I unbolted the rear "split bench" seats, and bolted in a piece of 3/4" ply to give me a large flat space for "whatever".

Might want to visit a used car lot and poke around with a flashlight, I would wager the seats un-bolt. Having them welded in makes no sense from a manufacturing perspective.

You will have foot wells, the transmission / drive shaft tunnel and possible rear wheel wells "in the way" when you remove the seats, it won't be a nice flat floor.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
My 96 Suburban the third row comes out and the 2nd folds flat. At 6'5" I can stretch out and be comfortable. But because of the wheel wells there is only 49 inches across in the rear but it is wider just behind the drivers seat.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup