cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

westward bound

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow rv people...next year we'll be heading to Yellowstone National Park via Michigan. Has anyone traveled this route? Is there any must see attractions along the way? Any help would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or less for 1/4 mile or more, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 4-5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 4-5 month long road construction season and a 45 mph radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! I don't mean to scare you but to inform you of reality. (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line.)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft, Old Faithful- 7365 ft, up to 7734 ft at Canyon and Grant to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge. Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking. And again I don't mean to scare you but rather to inform you, after all there is normally 3.5 million visitors annually.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 5 PM and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 7-10 PM. Remember that from mid June to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until shortly before 10 PM.

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have a hour and 10-20 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F geyser basin while waiting for the next eruption. Old Faithful INN is a must see (meals are "OK" also)

We have lived about 110 miles (4739' elevation) from W. Yellowstone, MT for 51 years, go there 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all of it yet and at 80 years young pace myself when walking/hiking.

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/SEATING ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle contest twice". We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

http://www.barjchuckwagon.com
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
If on I90 stop at the "Butterfly House and Marine Cove" in Sioux Falls SD. It is a most unusual attraction.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Ozlander wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Wall Drugs, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons, (actually I'm kidding about Wall Drugs)

You have to stop at Wall Drug.
They have to justify having a sign every mile. lol

LOL well maybe, but don't get suckered into the "free coffee" as I believe it is made with dishwater.

The ice water is free. The coffee is 5 cents. Both are very good.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your route and trip duration, besides some of the above we added a few days in Custer State Park, a couple days at Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, and a drive through at Badlands NP. Spent an hour at Wall drug and another at Sturgis, wasn't overwhelmed with either. Guess it was worth an hour just to say you were there. Skip Deadwood.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower,Little Bighorn National Battlefield and Glacier if you have the time.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:

LOL well maybe, but don't get suckered into the "free coffee" as I believe it is made with dishwater.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have done yellowstone 7 times in the last 20 years. send me a pm if your interested.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your interests and your route, I'd also recommend Little Bighorn National Battlefield, near Hardin MT, just off I-90. Worth a day, and several decent FHU CGs nearby.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled those routes, from Northern Michigan. First trip followed I-80, into Wyoming and then the south gate of yellowstone.

Second trip was US-2/ I-90 to the black hills of South Dakota. That was as close as I got to the east gate, then I turned north and went to Glacier and on into Canada.

There are a lot of things to see in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, both touristy and just of great natural beauty.

Where abouts in Michigan are you leaving from, and which yellowstone gate are you aiming for?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed