Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Host, from the other side.
953 REPLIES 953

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
memtb - great site! Even greater difference between outside temp and inside. 57 is warm compared to the outside!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
ORbiker, you probably already know this, but there is some big rig friendly back road boondocking off of Highway 97, in the area around Crescent and Chemult. Also take a look near the north entrance to Crater Lake, in the national forest. Wide gravel roads, lots of places to turn around, plenty of good riding.

Yes 139
I know of many places to camp in that area.

There is no reason for me to primitive camp because I have a membership at Cascade Meadows RV Resort. 2 weeks for free w/full hookup. Maybe once we go full time we might use a boondock site near there to camp for our week out before going back to the park.

There is a nice spot just east of Cascade Meadows about 2 miles that has 3 or so free spots near a little creek.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Maman325
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Maman, great photo, and congrats on being able to post pix. (Not to mention congrats on living in Colorado --boondocking heaven. It takes us three days of hard driving just to get to that area.)

Here is a suggestion -- try this link, if you have not done so already:

RV Photo Post app

It was created for us by one of the moderators (his name is 1492 -- bless him). You just go to that site, either drag your photo in or else use the select button, copy the code that pops up into the box, and paste that code into your message. So easy.

Keep on posting!!

Thank you! I think that is the very post that helped me figure it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite boondocking place is...wherever we happen to be at the time...
This picture was taken November 3, 2017, weโ€™re camped southwest of Meteetsee, WY, at about 7000 feet.

This morningโ€™s temperature and probably dropped a degree or two after we left camp. Pretty decent temperatures for this time of year.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Off Pavement, that's an awesome view you got (had) there.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taken a month ago near Craig, Colorado...

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ORbiker, you probably already know this, but there is some big rig friendly back road boondocking off of Highway 97, in the area around Crescent and Chemult. Also take a look near the north entrance to Crater Lake, in the national forest. Wide gravel roads, lots of places to turn around, plenty of good riding.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been brave enough to go on the back roads yet with our 42' f'er. I have done lots of boondockin' via my different motorcycles over the years. Once you get east of the Mississippi it's pretty hard to fine even a reasonable priced tent site.

I have boondocked at Little Nash Sno-park in Oregon. Most of the sno-parks are BIG rig friendly.

(trying the pic link)
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maman, great photo, and congrats on being able to post pix. (Not to mention congrats on living in Colorado --boondocking heaven. It takes us three days of hard driving just to get to that area.)

Here is a suggestion -- try this link, if you have not done so already:

RV Photo Post app

It was created for us by one of the moderators (his name is 1492 -- bless him). You just go to that site, either drag your photo in or else use the select button, copy the code that pops up into the box, and paste that code into your message. So easy.

Keep on posting!!
About our trailer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great spot Maman325!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Maman325
Explorer
Explorer
First attempt at uploading a photo - here goes! Dispersed camping site just east of Wilkerson Pass in Colorado from August...

Maman325
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this thread a few days ago & have been enjoying all the great pictures. I don't have many to share (yet), as we have had our camper for almost a year now & have been getting our feet wet boondocking the past few months - but will post a few as soon as I figure out how to do it!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So this is one of those "where's Waldo" shots -- where is the trailer? (The answer is after the photo.) This shows the setting of our boondocking site in Idaho, situated on a range of low hills just across the valley from the Sawtooths:

Click For Full-Size Image.

(The trailer is at the center of the far left edge of the shot.)
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
August 15, 2017, near Stanley, Idaho:

August 31, 2017, near Wright's Lake, Calif.:

September 5, 2017, northwest of Mono Lake, Calif., just before sunrise:

About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks!! Great tips. We are hoping to do some boondocking on the Island later this summer.
About our trailer