cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel rebuild from major water damage

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
The Before part 2. The duct tape was used to get it home from Oklahoma in January.
It is a 2006 5th wheel 32' bunkhouse.

Bad repair job from previous owner

They used close to an inch thick of buytl tape instead of Eternabond tape.

The insulation is in pretty good shape

The damage ๐Ÿ˜ž

The roof

The worst of the front wall

The water was on the inside of the wall and must have puddled in the tyvek. The wood was still wet

You can only see the damage to the front of the trailer, the roof and sides about 2' back are bad too.
Enough work for one day, this trailer demo is harder than it looks on youtube But now that we are started we have to keep going.

We don't have a barn big enough to store the 5th wheel so it's under a tarp. It's not like the water wasn't already getting in anyway.
Any tips or help would be appreciated. We have had a hard time finding much good information and/or how to videos or websites on doing a massive rebuild like this one. If you know of any send the link!
111 REPLIES 111

FurmTC
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready to kick my own project off. Have to rebuild front and back. And then tackle the roof.
Not sure what I'm facing yet.
This is an incredible posting, that I plan to review several more times before I actually kick off.

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
twins89 wrote:
Give your RV guy a shout out on the forum for those who live in your area. He did a great job and didn't scam you.

Yes we thought the cost was reasonable for the extent of the repair. He specializes in mostly RV interior remodels and is a subcontractor for the name brand RV dealers and shops. They sub out that type of work to him. He has a huge shop big enough for a few class A's We would recommend him for anyone in the Springfield Missouri area needing RV repairs. He even came out to our house to look at the RV and give us an estimate before we hauled it to him for the repair.
His name is Mike 417-350-6026

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
LangsRV2 wrote:
hawkeye-08 wrote:

regarding the leveling, you can do it in your gravel driveway. It takes some cinder blocks and wedges, but it can be done. You can also use blocking instead of the cinder blocks. Think of mobile homes, they have used cinder blocks and wedges for many years (although many areas now require a foundation support now)..

This would have been GREAT information to have BEFORE we started the rebuild. You don't know what you don't know.
My hope with posting all our issues is that someone else may have an easier time when they start on their project.
Pay it forward you know!

I agree, we all learn and glad you shared your experiences. My wife and I have always done as much as we can ourselves.

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:

regarding the leveling, you can do it in your gravel driveway. It takes some cinder blocks and wedges, but it can be done. You can also use blocking instead of the cinder blocks. Think of mobile homes, they have used cinder blocks and wedges for many years (although many areas now require a foundation support now)..

This would have been GREAT information to have BEFORE we started the rebuild. You don't know what you don't know.
My hope with posting all our issues is that someone else may have an easier time when they start on their project.
Pay it forward you know!

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what a transformation. Most of us would have just sent to the parts junk yard. So pleased you got it done. Hopefully it won't have any issues and keep up the caulk and roof. Best wishes. Keep a journal of the fun times now! Give your RV guy a shout out on the forum for those who live in your area. He did a great job and didn't scam you.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad this turned out okay. Great job, you got it done.

I am glad you got it done and had the bearings and tires taken care of. You should have some great camping memories now to add to the rebuilding ones.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Great to see you are finally enjoying all your work!
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
Looks real nice! One would never know about the repair unless you showed them pictures...

Happy Camping...again!
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to have taken so long to get these new photos posted of the "finished" product. We got distracted with actual camping!!! It kind of felt like a miracle that the RV actually got put back together enough to actually camp in. There is still work to do until it is closer to perfect (mostly on the inside) but it has come such a long way!
The RV repair guy had to get the RV completely level and do a little more sanding but was then able to get the front cap back on nicely. Being out of level was our main problem with gettting the fiberglass front cap back in place.
Note to anyone trying this at home MAKE SURE YOUR RV IS TOTALLY LEVEL BEFORE STARTING!!!!
We thought it was good enough sitting basically level in the gravel driveway. THIS IS NOT OK when rebuilding! Leveling could have saved us zillions of hours of frustration and $$$ if we would have known this before starting. We may not have been able to fully fix the problem at our house because our only spot to work on the RV was a gravel drive. But it certainly would have been better.
The repair guy said they use floor jacks to jack up the RV all around in different spots to get it totally level BEFORE they start working on them. MAKE SURE AND DO THIS FOR YOURSELVES!
Overall it looks pretty good. Up close you can see there has been some work done to the RV but thats OK it works!
In case you are wondering the RV repair guy charged us about $600 to complete it and put it back together including putting the cap back on and hanging the interior cabinets over the bed.
We also had him pack the bearings, and put 4 brand new tires and replace the hubcaps and check the breaks on the trailer. Lastly he had a bugger of a time getting the gooseneck adapter off. It was welded on and the installers had cross threaded the bolt so it wasn't coming off easy. We had to pay for an hour of labor for that one. Worth it for us because we don't want to crawl in the bed of the truck to hitch every time. We really like a 5th wheel instead of a gooseneck. We will get the adapter retapped and sell it.
Total bill from the repair center for repairs and new tires etc $1166.92

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
Now the framing is sanded down just perfectly to match the original shape of the siding. Everything looked perfect so we were excited to get the fiberglass cap put on and get finished.
However...it didn't fit.
You can see from the photos that on the left side framing is showing on the right side it overlaps. No matter what we did it just would not sit properly. The angles just would not match up on both sides at the same time.

The RV repair guy had told us that if after we sanded the framing down if it still didn't fit it was because the RV was sitting unlevel.
We had the 5th wheel sitting as level as possible at our house. However we only have a gravel driveway. No cement no asphalt. Nothing it truly level here. We also do not have enough heavy duty large jacks that we could use to jack up the trailer to make it perfectly level. Lastly we have run out of patience on this project and with this final setback that is pretty much impossible for us to fix on our own we finally threw in the towel and decided to haul it to a professional RV repair shop.

stage
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I was trying to say. Glad it all worked out.
2004 Four Winds Hurricane 29d
1997 Jeep Wrangler toad
2016 Ford Edge toad

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed and glad you didn't pull it apart and start from square #1 again. Sometimes it just takes a fresh perspective and/or some time to think about it to find the right solution. Best was it only cost you a little consulting time, not the 000's you had feared!

Be sure to post pics with the cap on!

BTW, the new issue of RV Business has the complete industry supplier guides, so if All-Rite doesn't have what you need, let me know and I can send you the complete list.

Congrats on getting this solved, this was a great project and looks like you'll be on the road camping soon!

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
That's probably what I would have done in that spot, also. Looks good! I hope you have less problems from here on out!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
looks good to go