cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding window to front of slide-out

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco 26DS has a pretty deep slide with a u-dinette. It has a nice window on the main part. I was thinking about adding a window to the front only that could be opened to help with ventilation from the front when parked. This would be inside the coach when traveling. I have seen some others with windows in front and back of the slide. (I won't in the back since that is where the fridge is.) I have a contractor that would be willing to try this. My question is if anyone has tried this and what type of framing lies beneath. I am willing to take off inside and reframe if necessary.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
3 REPLIES 3

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may not even need any framing to put a window in there. It kind of depends on the type of wall construction. If you have the kind of sandwich with glass-foam-wood you can probably put in a window simply by cutting the proper sized hole.

RV windows are mostly self framing and use the wall as the filling of a sandwich. The outer part contains the glass and the frame, the inner part is the frame and the two get held together by a bunch of screws that go from the inner frame to the outer frame.

I suspect that that type of installation will also work with an RV that has normal hung glass walls or aluminum siding but not 100 percent positive about it. I would take out an existing window to see how it is put together and installed and then decide on whether to hire the job out or do it myself. Many here have done the job by themselves.

We have windows on both sides of our slideout and open them very frequently to get the breeze. That is especially effective if you also run one of the Fantastic fans. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
We had a window added in the kitchen but it was not in the slide. The work was done by the dealer at purchase time.

Can you take a tour of the plant? We found many answers to our questions there.

Also, on colder frosty days I can "see" some of my framing on the outside walls when the morning sun shines on it.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ask Jayco for a schematic of build on that wall.
bumpy