cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone buy or make a kitchen island for more counter space?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the fifth wheels and TTs have such a tiny bit of counter space, which has forced us to eliminate 70-80% of them.

Has anyone bought or made a kitchen island for more counter space? Or any other ideas will be appreciated.

We cook together every day from scratch, so together, we need a good bit of counter space for cutting, chopping, as we do a lot of stir-fries.

Most of the trailers with the wrap kitchens are on the long side and we would prefer to keep down the length.
47 REPLIES 47

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
We have the washer/dryer cabinet which is used as a huge pantry, a 4 door 13.5 cu' fridge & loads of counter space.

If you are going to long term or full time you need a functioning galley.

I have never seen a W/D closet in the kitchen. a LOT of storage!!

I have been looking at new units and there is no pantry on most of them.

The only one that I am aware of, that has a huge pantry (in our length range), is the Sundance 340RK, and most everyone said that this brand is not good enough for full-timing.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
rvjames wrote:
We use this folding kitchen island from oasis. We stash it out of the way until we need it. Very handy and easy to move if we need it outside.

That is remarkable!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the washer/dryer cabinet which is used as a huge pantry, a 4 door 13.5 cu' fridge & loads of counter space.

If you are going to long term or full time you need a functioning galley.

Pardon all the bags. This was move in day after 6 months winter storage. Round 1. The next day was almost duplicate in bags of stuff to be put away. We don't shop very often but when we do we don't play around.

This is better. For the sharp eyed, no it is not the same trailer. Same floorplan though. This is the 2006 Alpenlite we lost in a blowover. Same size fridge. Different colour countertop. With fireplace.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rvjames
Explorer
Explorer
We use this folding kitchen island from oasis. We stash it out of the way until we need it. Very handy and easy to move if we need it outside.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Bovinity wrote:
This was the link for a kitchen island that was previously posted on this forum Granite Kitchen Cart

I purchased one in a natural finish clicky for our fifth wheel. I really love it, especially the granite top!

I have had this same Granite Kitchen cart since April. Probably 6 or 7 camping trips with it so far.

Here is my original post about it: Rolling Kitchen Cart with granite counter top

DW and I LOVE this cart in our 26TBSS trailer. We store it all the way up front between the queen bed and the window. It rolls around wherever we want it. We measured our trailer before ordering to be sure it would fit in some key places. It is amazingly sturdy for under $100. It also has a wooden shelf, a wire drawer,a wine rack, and a wooden drawer.

DW rolls it next to the sink and uses it for counter space.

Roll it next to the dinette table and use it as a sideboard / table extension for when we have company for dinner and the dinette top gets crowded with plates and food.

Plus the wheels lock. Sturdy wheels. And did I mention it has a granite counter top?

And Amazon review are very high on it - it really is amazingly sturdy for under $100.

Ed

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat wrote:
marielw824 wrote:
All I can say is ... counter space WAS an issue for me. After years of being in a 23' Eclipse Attitude with nearly ZERO counter space ... counter/work space was ESSENTIAL. And you're right ... we went with a Voltage 3905. The island is large and provides TONS of work space. The elevated top portion of the island allows for additional work space also. It has been wonderful.

FYI ... the double fridge and huge pantry allow us to shop without any worries. We have NEVER hesitated in selecting our groceries and houseware needs. And we have left Fred Meyer's with a $338 grocery/home stuff receipt recently.

What a gorgeous unit!!! I LOVE the styling!!! This is so us!! Love the kitchen island AND the bedroom with the nightstands and the bathroom with the kool looking basin!!

:h you have never Rv'ed before and you think you might buy a 90K plus 5th wheel which you will need at minimum a 3500 dually at another 45kplus?

I sure hope you enjoy it. You would lose 30K if you wanted to sell it in 2 years

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
marielw824 wrote:
All I can say is ... counter space WAS an issue for me. After years of being in a 23' Eclipse Attitude with nearly ZERO counter space ... counter/work space was ESSENTIAL. And you're right ... we went with a Voltage 3905. The island is large and provides TONS of work space. The elevated top portion of the island allows for additional work space also. It has been wonderful.

FYI ... the double fridge and huge pantry allow us to shop without any worries. We have NEVER hesitated in selecting our groceries and houseware needs. And we have left Fred Meyer's with a $338 grocery/home stuff receipt recently.

What a gorgeous unit!!! I LOVE the styling!!! This is so us!! Love the kitchen island AND the bedroom with the nightstands and the bathroom with the kool looking basin!!

marielw824
Explorer
Explorer

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
We wanted more counter space also. Bought a cabinet @ Lowes. It was an unfinished oak upper double kitchen cabinet. Added another shelf inside....made a top for it and added locking swivel wheels.Finished to match the other cabinets in the 5ver and when we do not need it....roll it out of the way. Was a 30" tall cabinet and 16" deep which made a great new extra counter top.

Brilliant idea!! Thank you!

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted more counter space also. Bought a cabinet @ Lowes. It was an unfinished oak upper double kitchen cabinet. Added another shelf inside....made a top for it and added locking swivel wheels.Finished to match the other cabinets in the 5ver and when we do not need it....roll it out of the way. Was a 30" tall cabinet and 16" deep which made a great new extra counter top.
cpaulsen

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to know!

mmp3823
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat wrote:
mmp3823 wrote:
We wanted more counter space and had a good spot for thisKitchen cart when the slides were out. Then we secure it when we are travelling. We got a color that matched better with our cabinets.

Thanks! Very nice, and the price is nice, too!

How exactly do you secure it?

Our counter has an L shape to it and so we slide it into the corner and then bungy it to the stove and a cabinet. I thought about putting eyelet anchors in but it actually doesn't move much where sits and I have even towed with it unsecured and it didn't go anywhere.

Bovinity
Explorer
Explorer
This was the link for a kitchen island that was previously posted on this forum Granite Kitchen Cart

I purchased one in a natural finish clicky for our fifth wheel. I really love it, especially the granite top!

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
mmp3823 wrote:
We wanted more counter space and had a good spot for thisKitchen cart when the slides were out. Then we secure it when we are travelling. We got a color that matched better with our cabinets.

Thanks! Very nice, and the price is nice, too!

How exactly do you secure it?