cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Different style inlet?

forestriverlife
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking to replace the inlet on my 5th wheel to a different color to better match. I was browsing around and saw that there is this different type of inlet, with straight blades like the 30A rv cords you plug into the pedestal.

here's a link to the listing...30A straight blade rv inlet

This is pretty new to me, is there some difference between this product and a locking one?
9 REPLIES 9

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy wrote:
forestriverlife wrote:
So I'm looking to replace the inlet on my 5th wheel to a different color to better match. I was browsing around and saw that there is this different type of inlet, with straight blades like the 30A rv cords you plug into the pedestal.

This is pretty new to me, is there some difference between this product and a locking one?

How about painting your current inlet with a color your like using Krylon Fusion paint? Works great on plastic.

I totally agree paint it!! Jb
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't need a twist lock as the unit has a screw ring to lock it in place, Save your money buy a can of paint or live with the regular plug. Had the same 50 amp plug for 10 years and used the 200.00 elsewhere.
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
I would stay away from them. The twist-lock is more secure, and if you find yourself with a burned cord end, are going to be easier to find. The only people who benefit from proprietary product are the manufacturer and the retailer.

X2, What Bob said.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, those aren't new. That's what they used several decades ago and very old RV's had them as standard issue (I had one on an old 1960's TC years ago). The female end of a standard 30A extension cord will plug right in.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay away from them. The twist-lock is more secure, and if you find yourself with a burned cord end, are going to be easier to find. The only people who benefit from proprietary product are the manufacturer and the retailer.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The difference is that with these new "straight blade" inlets, you must use the matching cord supplied exclusively by the same company. Very convienent. How lucky for us! :R
Here is a cut/paste from their site.
"Replaces your old 30A RV inlet (locking) to a standard Straight Blade style TT-30 connection found on most RV cords. This product is only available from Conntek Integrated Solutions and will only work with their cords. Lucky for you we have the 30A Straight Blade Inlet Cords in stock!"

I don't see a single thing about them being any "safer" than the standard locking cord. The cords they supply also lock on - only through the round ring on the cord rather than via the blades themselves. I would certainly think twice about purchasing it seeing that you need to not only purchase the inlet but the matching cord also.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
forestriverlife wrote:

How about painting your current inlet with a color your like using Krylon Fusion paint? Works great on plastic.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think you would want to stay with the so called RV standard 30A twist lock on one end and 30A blade straight plug on the other end.

I havent checked but is there a standard 30A FEMALE/MALE shore power cable for this. If you change for something different then you will have a special order replacement cable if needed in a hurry..

All the ones I have ever seen are these Twist-on locking type female connector on the trailer end on the 30A shore power cable..

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think I'd prefer the locking one just so it doesn't fall out but the nice thing about those is you could use a standard 30A extension cord for your normal use.