cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY Insulating with spray foam kit

HanSolo
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience with Touch N Seal or Foam it Green (or any other)spray foam kits? Do you think you can get a professional result with a DIY product like this? Any personal experience stories would be much recommended. Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Cool thanks for your info. Our steel studs are very square because I built them myself ๐Ÿ™‚

I used 1x1 for everything but the floor so there will be 2 inches of foam between the studs and 1 inch of foam over the studs...no cold steel touching the inside of the camper. Outside of camper is aluminum sheet 0.063 thick. Bonded to steel studs with 1/16" spacing and Sikaflex 252 adhesive sealant. No galvanic action there.

Everything is expensive though when you do things right. Makes me just want to buy a camper and not know what they did underneath. I am not one to cut corners, so I could never build these for a living.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:
hi westend,

I got some of the 2 inch R-Max TSX-8500 exposure rated polyisocyanurate foam (expensive!) now. Do you think I need to aluminum tape the sides of the foam when I cut them to fit inbetween my wall studs? The foam would otherwise be exposed on the 2 inches of thickness, but would be pressed up against my steel studs.
No, I wouldn't seal the cut foam. I'm guessing the thoughts about sealing the foam are generated from consideration about moisture absorption? I wouldn't worry about it. You can do some experimentation with absorption by soaking a small piece of foam under water. Weight down the foam piece under water and let it soak for a few days (weeks, months?). Remove the weight and see if you have the same amount of flotation. A trip to the beach will also show that most extruded/expanded foam is difficult to saturate.

One advantage to metal studs is that it bespeaks the walls being set up on a jig in the factory, resulting in cavities that are plumb and square. I did not have one cavity that was plumb, some differing in dimension by as much as 1/2", latitudinally, in my wood-studded trailer. Every piece of foam needed to be measured and custom cut. If you have metal studs, I would strongly suggest you investigate the use of an additional thermal break between the studs and the interior paneling. It may be that the climate in your area doesn't warrant it but conductive heat transfer from the outer siding through the studs can be significant. At one point, I added up the surface area of the stud and ceiling joist faces and came up with a figure of around 40 sq. ft., IIRC. That is equivalent to having a 4'x8' sheet of paneling that is close to ambient temp inside the trailer. As mentioned, I installed a thermal break of 1/4" fanfold insulation across the walls. The fanfold insulation is cheap and is easy to install on wood studs, staples were used. With metal studs, it would need to be glued with foam adhesive.
Fanfold being installed:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
hi westend,

I got some of the 2 inch R-Max TSX-8500 exposure rated polyisocyanurate foam (expensive!) now. Do you think I need to aluminum tape the sides of the foam when I cut them to fit inbetween my wall studs? The foam would otherwise be exposed on the 2 inches of thickness, but would be pressed up against my steel studs.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
With a foil face and fiberglass reinforcement, your Iso foam permeability to water vapor will be under 1 Perm. That is about as good as it gets. A vapor barrier of 4 mil polyethylene sheet will decrease vapor transfer into the wall. A thermal break of 1/4" extruded polystyrene (fanfold insulation) stapled across the studs and Iso foam will offer relief from conductive heat/cold transfer through the studs. That thermal break shouldn't be underestimated, IMO.

I cut and installed extruded polystyrene and friction fit it into the cavities. This was followed by sealing any voids or cracks with foam adhesive. It's not necessary to attach the foam sheets to the inside of the siding.

Good luck with your TC!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
I decided I am going with exposure rated polyisocyanurate block foam (doesn't require sheet rock thermal barrier) although I think the only difference between this and non-exposure rated is the aluminum facer and fiberglass reinforcement. I want to use the Dow Thermax but you can't find this stuff on the west coast. A similar product is Rmax TSX-8500 polyisocyanurate. Both of these are rated at about R13 for 2 inches thick.

I couldn't find anyone that could spray polyisocyanurate. I think the block foam will be ok...will use a bit of sikaflex to fix it to the aluminum siding and steel frame on our camper build.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spray foam, even of high density, is not totally closed-cell. It does get clogged with water, given a chance - ask boaters. And then it takes forever to dry, in enclosed space in the wall. Luckily for us Rv-ers, it doesn't get a chance to get soaked very often. On the contrary, fiberglass wool gets soaked with water easier, but also dries completely in a few days. Under the floor, however, I would rather use block foam or spray foam than fiberglass wool.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone use it or something similar to insulate the overhead in the front cap of a MH or know someone that does it?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Jfet,

Apply the fire proof foam. Some of it can be heated to 2000 degrees without burning.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. One other quick question. Is there a major concern about the foam during a fire? I have heard the smoke is very very toxic....we were planning luan over the foam...is this enough or do we need to look for specific fire rated foam?

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct, it is the same foam used in homes. I don't know if they trim flush to the walls or leave that to the installer - you will have to ask them.

Home installs they usually use a hand saw to bring the foam flush with the wall surface. A good foam guy will have no problem spraying and filling the cavity but not overfilling it.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I have a thread going in the truck camper section but saw this recent post on a search and thought I would ask here. We are building a flatbed truck camper and were thinking of using the 2" sheets of foam, cut to size. Over the weekend, as we were installing the aluminum siding, I starting to think about spray foam.

It sounds like getting someone to do it is the way to go. Do you have any recommendation where to look and what to ask for? Most of the spray foam installers in this area seem to be doing houses...is it the same material that would be used in an RV? Do they scrape the walls flush such that we can install interior luan over the foam?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Foam is a great way to seal, insulate, and strengthen the walls, ceiling, and floor. I hand cut extruded polystyrene for my rig and it was a long process. Since none of the cavities were plumb, I'm guessing Starcraft (and probably other mfg.'s) thought getting everything square and plumb wasn't a necessity. If I had it to do over, I'd hire a spray professional.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

HanSolo
Explorer
Explorer
I've definitely going to hire a professional to spray foam. Thanks for taking the time to comment. You probably saved me a big mistake.

As far as the paint, I think this would be a good additional measure; but right now I'm most concerned with the insulation and sound proofing value of filling the walls.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ryhed wrote:
I just learned about this stuff today!
Not in the same league as a couple inches of foam. The microspheres are a radiant barrier, not a convective or conductive insulator although they should afford minimal conductive insulation value.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC