cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front door locks

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about the front door locks made by Trimark. It has 2 cylinders. The top cylinder is the dead bolt and the bottom cylinder has the master key that supposedly everyone has a key to.
I've been locking the top lock only and the other day when I went to the RV I was not able to get inside. The bottom lock was locked.
My question is, is it possible for the lock handle to fall down into the locked position by itself or did somebody try to get into it.
The RV is behind someones house.
Stefan
11 REPLIES 11

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
A friends unit was broken into in a storage lot in the MIami area. After viewing the damage to the door and compartments I quit locking mine! It is amazing how much damage a drug addict with a crow bar and hammer can do! I would rather lose what I have in it than repair that much damage.

When traveling and in rest areas RV parks and such I do lock it. Jim

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
The fear of doing that is why we have a locking key safe secured in a protected, hidden location accessible from the RV's outside.

Me too but it's a magnetic key holder.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Right now the RV is parked behind somebody's house and I'm the only one going in there while I work on it to get it ready to fulltime.
Bob that is exactly what I will do

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new Itasca. For a while when we would open it from the outside it would only open start to unlatch like it was a double latch. I would have to put my shoulder into it to close it back up then pull the latch quickly and it would open. Then it got to the point where you could not open it from the outside.
I took the inside plate off and found a piece of white plastic broken that was causing the problem. I got the whole latch replaced under warranty. The new one looks just like the old one, I wounder how long the new one will last ?

Dusty

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fear of doing that is why we have a locking key safe secured in a protected, hidden location accessible from the RV's outside.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
In our case, the door had been locked from the inside, while the door was open. as the latch is spring loaded, the door can be closed and latched after the lock lever has been turned. In our case, DW did it, without realizing that neither of us had a key on us. We make a point not to do that again.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
That is why we always leave a window unlatched somewhere. Not always the same one. Impossible for me or DW to crawl in, but the time we needed to get in, we found a young park ranger to save us.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Were you abe to unlock it with a key, or is this another case of the broken tirmark latch pin?? Hope you were able to unlock it. The other option is more expensive. Hope you have a window unlocked somewhere.

There was a window open and I climbed through. The lock was in the locked position. I just unlocked it and opened the door. I tested the lock and it worked fine.
I noticed that when I moved the lock on the inside it was definitely stiff and felt like there is no way it could have locked by itself.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally locked mine a couple of times. I am not sure exactly how I did it but I think I inadvertently pushed the lock pin down somehow as I closed it. I was very careful after the second time and it never happened again.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help you with your Trimark lock issue but you'd probably do better to post your query in the Tech Issues forum, not here on the Mods and Upgrades Forum. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Were you abe to unlock it with a key, or is this another case of the broken tirmark latch pin?? Hope you were able to unlock it. The other option is more expensive. Hope you have a window unlocked somewhere.