cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda generator

tlnibert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rockwood travel trailer, is it possible to mount a generator on the rear bumper? The RV is 34 ft.
8 REPLIES 8

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ummm, hang on a second here, let's think this through first.

A EU2000i Honda generator weighs a whopping 45 pounds.

If the generator is sitting ON the bumper, not hanging a few feet back like 4 bicycles on a bike rack clamped around the bumper tube and bouncing at every pot hole, the load I from the generator is nothing.

The sky is NOT falling.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 26' Terry. We added two receiver hitches, built a mount, added a Harbor Freight rack and it worked great. It carried a Honda eu3000, and two gas cans, one for the chain saw and another for the genny. We did have to be careful in balancing the weight. We had no problems with vibration. Of coarse the receivers were welded to a frame cross member not the bumper!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you remove the spare tire and keep the generator as close to the trailer as possible, I think it would be fine. A spare tire hanging behind the bumper most likely creates more stress than a 50 lb. generator mounted close to the trailer.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dad had a welding shop cut his bumper off, extend the frame, make a platform with hinged, lockable cover (expanded metal) and then welded the bumper on the back of the new platform. Dad put some hooks on the back corners of his trailer so he could put a piece of 1/2 electrical conduit across them and then hang a tarp to shade the generator when hot out and also to protect from weather when raining... He can also carry a couple of 5 gallons gas cans on the platform with the generator also. It works well for him.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Bumper and frame reinforcement then bolt the gen to the mount. Bumpers are thin plus the leveraged bounce of gen.
If you want the ultra deluxe set up, wire in a transfer switch and probably 10 gauge back to the gen. If you have remote start its even better.

Put a few layers of difficulty in removing it. Use torx and then bolt a plate over that. As others have said, anything can be gotten but the easiest fruit is picked first. Yes it's a PITA if I need to remove it but that's the price we pay.

I have a 3000 that I removed the 2 bottom plates on and drilled holes in them with bolts going through the truck bed then built a metal vented and fan powered enclosure with a padlock. So the enclosure lock has to be cut, the enclosure has to be unbolted and the bolts under the gen removed by two people. One under the truck and one up in the bad feeling around blind for the bolts that are spinning. Then there is also the alarm.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT mount it to the rear bumper, but you could have a good welding shop to install a frame mounted hitch and build a bracket to hold your generator. Make sure it is bolted down and locked. The ride might be a little rough back there but I see people doing it all the time. Make sure you have a cover for it to protect it from the elements.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes in theory, but most rear bumpers are rather flimsy. They're designed from something to hit them horizontally, not to have weight bouncing vertically up and down on them. It all depends on how strong the bumper, and its connections to the frame are so that the constant vibration doesn't crack something.

And there's always the chance of someone hitting the generator or you backing into something when you need that extra two feet of room.

Several truck campers mount their Honda 2000s on their ladders and then the extended run fuel tank above the generator. It seems to work.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Sure. Will it be there when you arrive, maybe.