cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I replace these with LED lights

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I have a 2013 shockwave toy hauler from forest river. I want to replace my bulbs with LED bulbs to reduce the power draw. But I can't get into the bulbs. I pull on the glass and the whole thing just comes down. It feels like it's spring loaded into the ceiling and I can't get the glass off to get to the bulb. I tried a screwdriver to pry it apart but can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch
26 REPLIES 26

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I found these at Lowes. I replaced my G4 bulbs in the bathroom and there is a lot less heat and amp draw. The downside is I had to open up the reflector where the bulb plugs into. The base on these are wider than the incandescent it replaces.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
1971duster340 wrote:
I've been researching, talking to a friend for some time that is quite knowledgeable about LEDs. I want to replace my halogens also. He gets his from Asia and has good luck with 12V auto use and know which brands are junk. I'll pass on what I learn.

I am staying away from LEDs that handle both ac and dc and the variable voltage type, 12v dc only. The more dedicated for a certain use, the better. I think 35 LEDs with transformers would be an RF noise disaster.

Thanks for the info!!!

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the transformer but the switching regulators that are the problem. The cheap Chineese regulated LED's are a real problem, but there are things that you can do to quiet them down. It just takes a little time and experimentation
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching, talking to a friend for some time that is quite knowledgeable about LEDs. I want to replace my halogens also. He gets his from Asia and has good luck with 12V auto use and know which brands are junk. I'll pass on what I learn.

I am staying away from LEDs that handle both ac and dc and the variable voltage type, 12v dc only. The more dedicated for a certain use, the better. I think 35 LEDs with transformers would be an RF noise disaster.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
bobrizer2 wrote:
Word of warning. IF you replace that G4 bulb with a high quality led bulb, you can forget about watching TV on your bat wing antenna when that light is on. I replaced mine only to discover that the more expensive leds contain a voltage regulator that emits an rf signal that will blank your tv signal. Google leds and tv reception for more info. Then buy the very cheapest leds you can find. This apparently doesn't happen with every brand, but you won't know until you try.

To be fair, I purposefully don't have a TV in my camper. ๐Ÿ™‚

westend
Explorer
Explorer
E Bay is a good source for replacement LED's. I have the onboard arrays with multiple chips and all of them are working well. There is no way I would pay $8 for a 12 x 5050 LED board. I bought one in that size for $1.99 including shipping. 12 X 5050's is not that bright, even in 5K Kelvin.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bobrizer2
Explorer
Explorer
Word of warning. IF you replace that G4 bulb with a high quality led bulb, you can forget about watching TV on your bat wing antenna when that light is on. I replaced mine only to discover that the more expensive leds contain a voltage regulator that emits an rf signal that will blank your tv signal. Google leds and tv reception for more info. Then buy the very cheapest leds you can find. This apparently doesn't happen with every brand, but you won't know until you try.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
I used some of the side pin version of these. Don't remember exactly which one. Even work with the dimmer.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
1971duster340 wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
Here's the pics. Are those the correct bulbs? I want something in the range of 5k rather than 3k tho. Any recommendations?

Without knowing the diameter of the lens or fixture part #, can't be answered. There are two different fixture sizes in our camper...the G4 bulb fixture lens is 3"dia. The GY6.35 bulb goes with a lens 4 1/4"dia. The fixtures are identical except for lens size, so a photo is misleading.

5K is cool light...3K warm light.

You're getting there by not cracking the lens and loosing a finger.

Thanks!! I'll have to measure them. I have looked all over Amazon. Most brands, half the reviews there are issues such as flickering. They all seem to be Chinese knockoffs. Anyone have suggestions on a set that is high quality?

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
Here's the pics. Are those the correct bulbs? I want something in the range of 5k rather than 3k tho. Any recommendations?

Without knowing the diameter of the lens or fixture part #, can't be answered. There are two different fixture sizes in our camper...the G4 bulb fixture lens is 3"dia. The GY6.35 bulb goes with a lens 4 1/4"dia. The fixtures are identical except for lens size, so a photo is misleading.

5K is cool light...3K warm light.

You're getting there by not cracking the lens and loosing a finger.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Lazy D wrote:
Looks a lot like mine. That lens should just pull out. It is real tight. Held in with a flat spring type retainer.
Mine are a G4 bulb.
Something like these might work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W1038SS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=36HHYDB8CCEAG&coliid=IY3QGR26E8B3C&psc=1

OK I got in. Just twisted it counter clockwise while holding the base. It was tight but eventually came off. Here's the pics. Are those the correct bulbs? I want something in the range of 5k rather than 3k tho. Any recommendations?

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.
Please see sticky at the top of the forum about posting pictures.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
How many rv.net members does it take to change a lightbulb? To be determined...

I'll tell you this afternoon. Lol

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
How many rv.net members does it take to change a lightbulb? To be determined...
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thanks for the replies!!! I'll try to turn it today while holding the housing.