cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Porch Light

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
I've converted my entire TT lighting inside and out to LED. I purchased 194 leds for the clearance and marker lights with the led colors to match the lens colors and 5050smd 1157 in red for the tail/brake lights and they all perform terrific and are very bright in the daylight. I switched the orange porch light to 5050smd amber 1156 and it is very dim compared to the rest of the led's. You can't even tell it's on unless it's completely dark outside. I plugged the bulb into one of my trailers and it is super bright. I have not checked the voltage on the socket yet, but wondering if the porch light is limited amperage for some reason as to be dimmer? The halogen 1156 was also dim and was a deciding factor to brighten up the porch light.

Any ideas?
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim
6 REPLIES 6

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Will do!
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you could check the voltage at the light with the light on, and with no bulb, it will tell you more than just checking the voltage with no bulb. If the voltage drops with the bulb lit, you have a bad connection. If there are other lamps on the same circuit, unplug the fuse to see what other lights go out, that may help you locate the bad connection.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Those leds are similar to the 194 pancakes I put inside. I'll pick up a couple of those for the 1156 and check the wiring when I get home Friday. Thanks for the input.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
You have a poor connection some place, maybe on the switch. I replaced the complete Porch light to LED from Amazon for $ 9.95 incl.shipping.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of those 1156 'lollipop' style lights for my patio light. Since the base of the light points sideways instead of straight on, this type of light works perfectly:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gold+Stars+11568305+LED+Replacement+Bulb+1156+Base+250+LUM+12+or+24v+Natural+White
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage at the socket and also check the ground, there might be some moisture damage, they should de bright.

navegator