cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicine Cabinet Door

AstroKing
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. Recently purchased our first travel trailer, a Gulf Stream Conquest Lite 198BH. It does not come with a medicine cabinet. I ordered a cheap $30 plastic one from Lowes that comes with a mirrored door, with a magnetic lock. I have not mounted it yet but am concerned about the magnet lock. I do not think it will stay shut while traveling and don't want a big piece of glass swinging open while traveling down the road. I can just see that either breaking off the hinge and shattering or something bad. So, I am wondering what would be recommended to keep it shut. I have considered changing to a rare earth magnet and also maybe using Velcro dots. Has anyone ever had this issue or have any ideas? Thank you.
Towing Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD - 5000 lb. tow capacity
TT: 2017 Gulf Stream Conquest Super Lite 198BH
5 REPLIES 5

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I took the cheapo plastic case off the wall, and using a fine toothed saw, cut two small V shaped notches in the case closest to the wall in the top and bottom (about 1 1/2 inch deep). I then took a piece of elastic out of wife's sewing basket, tied a knot on each end, and hook it in these slots when traveling. When arriving, I just pull the elastic from behind the lower V, and put it on top where it is out of view.

Cheap and easy; has lasted a number of years.

Doug

AstroKing
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the quick responses. I think I'll use a combination of the Neodymium magnets and some of the 3/4" velcro, mounting it on a side wall. My thought process is I would rather it be over-protected than under and then have busted glass everywhere. Thanks again!
Towing Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD - 5000 lb. tow capacity
TT: 2017 Gulf Stream Conquest Super Lite 198BH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Add two Neodymium magnets to the existing ones (or existing one magnet and steel catch). If you want the magnets to never move, put a drop of epoxy on them when installing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

I have one of those cheapo box store medicine cabinets.

It has the basic magnet catch and the previous owner added about a 3/4 inch square of velcro. It never comes open. Just have to watch for the avalanche of stuff when you open it the first time after moving.

But one consideration is which wall it is mounted on.
A side wall is less prone to flying open than a front or back wall due to braking and acceleration.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
You could add more magnets, a couple of hooks on each side and a bungee or a latch of some sort. Installing it would be added to your "departure list".

I added a medicine cabinet to mine and it's never came open with the factory magnets.