cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New steps for our 3750FL

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife and son came out on the road with me, we put hook and eye latches on the screen door of our travel trailer to keep our son from getting out. Well, he managed to squeeze through the bottom and fell out the door. I built a 3'x3' "porch" with steps so he could't fall again. They were nice. They had a railing, and deep steps. They barely fit in the bed of my Ram with nothing else in it though, and they took 15 minutes to level up and screw together (not to mention the screw holes were getting stripped out more and more every time we took them down and put them back up). Since we were upgrading from our old bumper pull to our new Montana 5th wheel, I gave a friend at work the old porch and decided to build something new. I needed deep steps, a landing at the top in case our son made his way out the door, and the ability to break the steps down so that I could stow them in my 5th wheel basement (since my 5th wheel hitch tool box, and 100 gallon gas tank now occupied the bed of my truck). I found a few ideas, but nothing as large, or as sturdy (since the Earth, in it's wisdom, decides to tax me heavily with it's gravitational pull). So I did what I always do. I just bought a bunch of wood, and figured it out as I went along. What I came up with, I'm proud of. Maybe later, when I have more time, and access to a welding machine, I'll make a set that bolts together out of square tubing that will take even less space in my 5th wheel basement. They have wide steps, a decent landing at the top, they all break down and fit inside each other to save space, and they are held together by simply dropping a bar down through them. All told they cost about $80, but the peace of mind in keeping our son safe is worth a lot more.

This is the old porch I had built for our Gulf Stream.

These are the new steps I've built for our 3750FL.

The rear of the steps.

This one shows how the bars drop down through all 4 steps to lock them together.

This one shows the 4 steps pulled apart, by simply yanking the 2 bars out. The 1st step fits in the 3rd, and the 2nd fits in the bottom, and they all fit nicely under the bed of our 5er through the outside door.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2001 Silverado 3500 dually (8.1l w/ an Allison)
2010 Montana 3750 FL

Full-Time pipeline family
13 REPLIES 13

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job! FWIW, we had made some plexiglas panels to turn the screen door into a storm door so we could keep the main door open during the day when the heat or a/c was on. The screen door has a diagonal reinforcing bar on the lower half, so we wound up just leaving the bottom plexiglas panel in place full time, we found the it protects the screen from the dogs. You might want to consider similar for junior, with plexi in the bottom and the hook/eye that should keep him inside.

lindarose714
Explorer
Explorer
Can you please tell me the size wood. I need the exact size that you made

Sunshineinal
Explorer
Explorer
I like your design better than any I've seen. I just got a fifth wheel similar to yours and I need to make this so my mother and I can get in easier. I think I can make this but I was wondering, did you use 4x4's for the frame and 1x4's for the steps?

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
kmart2491 wrote:
I like what you have done and would like to do the same. What I'm missing is how they fit inside each other. I can see how the top step when turned sideways would fit, I'm struggling with the second step fitting inside the other step.

The top step turns to fit in the 3rd, and the 2nd step turns to fit in the bottom just the same way. It's a tight fit, but it drops down in there. My steps are 30" wide, 28.5" on the inside. So your 2nd step just has to be 28" deep to drop down into the last set.
2010 Montana 3750 FL

kmart2491
Explorer
Explorer
I like what you have done and would like to do the same. What I'm missing is how they fit inside each other. I can see how the top step when turned sideways would fit, I'm struggling with the second step fitting inside the other step.

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
kmart2491 wrote:
What are the measurements?

Of each individual step, or overall?

Overall they are 34" tall, 30" wide, and a total of 46" deep.

You just have to measure the storage compartment you're going to stow them in, and use that as the size for your largest step, and the 3rd largest step, then make sure the other 2 steps will fit inside those.

If you'd like me to get the tape measure out I can (I have lost my plans). But unless you have exactly the same 5er, or the same size storage compartment, my measurements won't be what you need for your rig.
2010 Montana 3750 FL

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
necessity (no more stitches) is the mother of invention! Nice job!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

kmart2491
Explorer
Explorer
What are the measurements?

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to post an update. I'd measured to make these steps fit in the basement under the bed when taken apart. I just go the chance to stow them today, and they fit perfectly. I'm pleased with how they turned out.
2010 Montana 3750 FL

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
BobandShaz wrote:
great that the family can travel with you.

I see too many guys in my profession that leave their families at home, and their relationships, and children suffer. I always knew that if I were to pipeline while I had a family I'd be buying a nice 5er so that the family could come with me.

I'm just glad my wife is a sport about it.
2010 Montana 3750 FL

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. great that the family can travel with you.
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Beautiful job, glad you didn't have to resort to duct taping the kid to the wall. The screaming can get annoying.

I was seriously considering a leash attached to the leg of our dining room table. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2010 Montana 3750 FL

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Beautiful job, glad you didn't have to resort to duct taping the kid to the wall. The screaming can get annoying.