cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Review/critique of planned battery/inverter system?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Before we traded the old rig, I yanked out the batteries, battery monitor, inverter, and related accouterments (battery disconnect, catastrophic fuse, and circuit breaker).

The old setup was fairly simple:

• wired 4 batteries in parallel
  • added the battery monitor + inverter
  • and tied into the camper's 12v system

To use the inverter, I would run an extension cord and backfeed the camper by plugging it into the shore power receptacle (with an adapter).

The new camper has a built-in generator and an automatic transfer switch. I have a few goals in mind with the new setup:

1. get rid of the hokey extension cord + backfeeding of camper
  2. be able to provide power to most outlets in the camper
  3. better protect each individual battery
  4. be able to isolate down to a single battery (for yearly charge maintenance)
  5. provide an upgrade path for the future:

• adding solar charging
    • adding a larger inverter
    • make it easier to add additional 12v loads (TPMS repeater, basement lights, and USB outlets to the living room slide are on my immediate "to do" list)
    • adding a subpanel for inverted vs. not inverted breakers

The idea is that I can parallel the batteries using bussbars for positive and negative. This will aid in better charging of each battery. I'll put a fuse onto each battery in order to protect each one and to be able to pull the fuses in order to isolate individual batteries.

I'll use either the Xantrex 15amp Automatic Transfer Switches or the KISAE 15amp Automatic Transfer switches.

For the future 12v loads, I'll introduce a fuse block that I'll be able to add and protect new 12v needs.

Click for full-size

My specific questions:

1. are there specific recommendations you would make with all of this design?

2. for the battery fuses, how many amps should they be?

3. I previously opted for 1/0 between the batteries, 2/0 between the rest of the components, and 2awg to the inverter (just because it came w/ the inverter). Are these wire sizes sufficient for now and the future?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
26 REPLIES 26

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
westend wrote:
I'd also move the disconnect to the (+) polarity but that's just me.

Between the devices and 12V supply there should be circuit protection.

Why the (+) side vs (-) side?

What type of circuit protection are you thinking? That's why I had the fuse block there.
(-) or (+) location for disconnect: Best practices.

The circuit protection for each device should be between the power supply (bus bar on your diagram) and the device. After looking at your diagram again, I see that the fuse block is between the bus and the devices with a circuit breaker protecting the inverter. You're right on, excuse me.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Ok, I've revised the diagram with a couple of updates:

1. I noticed my charger was bypassing the battery disconnect and worse was also bypassing the shunt so it wouldn't be counted.
  2. I tried to add clarity to the 15amp transfer switches
  3. I tried moving the charging points so they would more equally balance the batteries

Click for full-size

1. battery disconnect is in the preferred place, if you place it in the positive line the battery positive terminals are still hot and a wrench from a terminal to chassis will result in fireworks.
the automotive industry worked this out a long time ago which is why they tell you to disconnect the negative side first.
2. there should be a strap from the shunt to chassis at one point only, either at the shunt or the negative buss bar as drawn or at the campers distribution panel. one and one only.
3. power takeoff. as you are using lithium drop-ins, you will not have the issues lead acid suffer from in parallel. as drawn the positive take off should be on the bottom battery terminal and the negative should be on the top battery terminal.
4. fuse to the inverter is on the small size. inverters are at best 90% efficient so at full load you will have approx ( 1000 * 1.1 ) / 12 = 91.6 Amps.. your 80 A breaker will most likely trip.
5. there is no fuse in the converter positive line, hopefully there is one inside the converter itself.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I'd also move the disconnect to the (+) polarity but that's just me.

Why the (+) side vs (-) side?

What type of circuit protection are you thinking? That's why I had the fuse block there.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

1. I noticed my charger was bypassing the battery disconnect and worse was also bypassing the shunt so it wouldn't be counted.
  3. I tried moving the charging points so they would more equally balance the batteries

Click for full-size
I hope you don't mind but I see a few things that could be changed--I'd suggest to locate your shunt between (-) bus bar and frame. I'd also move the disconnect to the (+) polarity but that's just me.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice System. Thanks for letting us know what you did and how well it works.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update for anyone searching in the future... we settled on 3 Rolls Surrette 12v wet cells for total of 630 amp hrs, 315 usable at 50%. All batteries wires with equal length 00 cable to bussbars, 0000 gauge in 3 ft run to 2000 pure sine inverter. 900 watts of solar in 2 separate arrays (650 in 2 x 325 watt 72-cell panels in series to Victron 50 amp MPPT controller, and 1 250 watt 60-cell panel to separate Victron 30 amp MPPT). In typical daily use solar will recharge batteries by noon, nighttime usage with TV and coffee maker & Tassimo gets down to maybe 85%. Quite pleased that even in heavily overcast situations will get 150-200 watts of solar.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

Click for full-size

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Max fuse is fine so 200 amps.... if you go 3000w inverter with a 300 amp fuse then maybe to the next level.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Do you have any recommendations for bussbars to buy?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/2126/MaxiBus_250A_BusBar_-_Six_5_16in-18_Studs

Unless you need 600 amp rating....

Honestly, I have no idea what amp rating I need. How do I figure that out?

Each battery is 100amp hours paralleled to remain at 12v and the inverter is 1000W.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I made mine from 3/4 inch copper pipe pressed flat and drilled holes in the appropriate places.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

While the connections to the buss are equal length, the length of the buss to the charger from battery #4 is MUCH greater than from battery #1. That leaves it unbalanced.

Stack the cables (two under the bar and two above the bar) on a single connector. Loads can go anywhere on the buss.

I see. I think that was more an issue of the diagram than what it would actually be in reality, but still good to be mindful of.

Do you have any recommendations for bussbars to buy?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

While the connections to the buss are equal length, the length of the buss to the charger from battery #4 is MUCH greater than from battery #1. That leaves it unbalanced.

Stack the cables (two under the bar and two above the bar) on a single connector. Loads can go anywhere on the buss.

ependydad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Your bank is not balanced.

Have a look here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

I use method #3

Don, thanks for sharing that link. I had seen it before but couldn't find it when I went to make this diagram. That said, I tried to reproduce method #3 from memory and looking again, seems like I did.

Would you mind taking a closer look? Is there something specific in my diagram that you think I've missed?
Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad