cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rope light "night light"

BobAndDonna
Explorer
Explorer
My Discovery uses a 3' rope light as a night light at a small step down from the bedroom slide. I recently noticed several burned out bulbs, so I removed the rope light after picking up a 3' strip of LED lights at Radio Shack. My mistake! The LED lights are FAR too bright for a bedroom night light. Now I need to track down a 12v incandescent rope light.

I placed an order with "Tri North Lighting" over a month ago, but finally had to give up on them after they "back-ordered" me twice (their customer service is non-existent. :M )

I've found 150-200 foot spools at $100 or more, but can't seem to find shorter lengths. Anyone know of a source?
Bob from Sedona AZ
8 REPLIES 8

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
On e-bay there are many DC to DC buck converters. You could use one of those to drop the voltage to your LED string.

Doug

MrWizard
maybe this will help, you can cut to length, as long as you cut at the right spot, multiples of (3) leds

5m long, Water resistant, PVC encapsulated, flexible strip of LEDs on 17mm C/C (300 Total LEDs). 12VDC operation 2.0A max current draw. 120 deg. view angle. 3in. leads on one end. Can be cut every 3 LEDs (50mm)

5 meters

$17.95

one meter approx 3ft might be too bright, just trim down the length, until you get the level/intensity of light you want
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Google Amazon 12V rope lights. Bunches of them. CW should have them.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also always have a good supply of the flicker lamps with us that run from AA batteries. They are great to use for night lights around the trailer. Wife is always picking up different ones we find shopping around the camp sites... Ours run a long time a AA battery... Some have sensors on them that comes on when it gets dark...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got mine from LOWES... 120VAC Incandescent type... They come in various lengths.

Been using them for years as PATIO lights around the inside of the awning and also as night lights behind my VALANCE curtains in my OFF-ROAD POPUP. Turned out to be the perfect brightness for a night light.

I have a six-foot length behind the Valance over the POPUP bed entrance near the ceiling.

The rope light can be cut to length. I have never done that but apparently you can trim to size to fit a particular area.

Being 120VAC models did not bother my ops off the power grid. I can power them up using my low wattage Inverter. My LOWES rope light is operated from one of those thumper controlled 120VAC extension cords from ACE HARDWARE RC-012-1

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wal mart sells some of this type of stuff.
bumpy

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Radioshack should have a dimmer module for that led strip, I remember seeing it at my local shack... just a box with a knob on it.

alternately, check out the EL wire strips in the same section you found the led strip, it will be much dimmer.

EDIT: another option, plan b:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/dimmers/ldp-2a-12-volt-dc-single-color-led-dimmer/61/
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mwool
Explorer
Explorer
auto parts stores. But not sure if they will be dim for a night light.
Marshall & Nancy
2013 DRV Elite Suite
2011 3500 GMC