cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Array Install on a Lance 1995

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
I've been installing a Solar Array in the RV and thought maybe someone would like to see the progress. Got all the solar hardware from Renogy. and some screws, wire clips, and 10 AWG wire from Lowes. Well nuts from Home Depot.

The goal is to be able to dry camp without running the generator. Where we live and do most of our camping the sun it out in full force with no clouds about 320 days of the year. Solar power is used quite a bit even in homes. We camp 4-seasons. Fall through spring camping is my favorite since no AC is required to run the air conditioner. With a 2 battery system, we've got plenty of juice to make it through the night running everything we want and the furnace, bringing the battery down to about 1/2-3/4 battery power left depending on how often the furnace gets used. a 200 watt system will be plenty to bring the batteries back up to full power by nightfall.

Day 1. About an hour.

First step was installing the Z brackets to the panel. Rest the panel at the mount location and mark the holes to be drilled. Z brackets connect the panels to your roof.

Drilled the holes. 2 Per bracket. You only have a little over an inch, if that, as the depth of your roof. Careful not to overshoot the thickness while drilling. I put tape on my drill bit at 5/8 depth.

Next I inserted #10-32 X 5/8 inch well nuts. Hard to find here. Lowes doesn't carry that size. Home Depot does, but I had to raid all their stores in this area to get 16 of them (8 per panel) plus order 7 online and that depleted their online stock. A little squirt of sealant into each hole before inserting the well nut. These well nuts expand inside your roof (much like a sheet rock anchor), and they secure the panel to the roof.

Place the panel over the mounting holes and tighten. I use #10-32 X 3/4 stainless steel machine screws with stainless steel #10 washers and lock washers. Self leveling sealant over the screw heads and brackets just for my own security, although these well nuts are rubber and the pressure from tightening is supposed to make them a water tight seal. It's rained pretty hard already for a couple days with no leaks. The other panel will install on the right side of the roof vent. Each panel is 100 watts.

Day 2, about 3 hours.

Running the cable from the panels to inside the trailer via the fridge vent.

A 3/8 inch cable holder secures the cables to the vent, then bring them inside, and silicone sealant generously applied.

The view from the inside. Of course at this point, I had to remove the fridge. It's a 6 cubic foot freezer over fridge model. unplugged the AC from the wall, disconnected the 2 DC wires. Disconnected the gas line. Removed the screws holding the unit to the floor in the back (5). At the front of the unit, removed the panel trim from top and bottom, and the unit slides right out. It was a 2-person life to get it out and set down softly.

This view is from inside the fridge bay, looking out and up into the corner. I ran the panel cable through the baffle of the upper fridge bay area and into this corner, secured them with 1/2 inch cable holds all the way down to the floor of the fridge bay.

At the floor of the fridge bay I drill 2 holes and ran the panel cables through them. Under the fridge is the furnace bay area.

Cut out a hole big enough to fit my solar controller in. It's the Renogy Adventurer. I wanted to mount this flush-mount controller over the fridge. Seemed like a natural location. Also, note that over the fridge in this trailer, is about a 6 inch wood trim panel takin you up to the roof and Lance already has a cut out that you can only see from the inside. They've already got a mounting position in there for their own solar controller. Would be easy to use. I didn't use it because this is a little bigger, and the instructions clearly indicate that you want at least a 6 inch clearance on all sides, including the top of the unit to the roof. Installing it in that natural location would give about a 1/4 inch clearance from the top of the controller to the roof. The manual states it needs this clearance because the face acts as a heat sink. Not having that clearance may cause it to overheat. I didn't want to chance it. I only want to install this once.

Roof side again, I put the fridge vent cover back on and released with self-leveling sealant over the screw heads.

Later today I'll finish the job and post those pics here as well. Well, it won't really be complete. It'll be operational at half capacity. Later this month I'll buy one more of those solar panels and hook it into the system. For now, it'll be a 100 watt system. We'll try that out this weekend when we dry camp at Guadalupe Peak and climb the highest point in Texas.
51 REPLIES 51

justme
Explorer
Explorer
TheWB wrote:
justme wrote:
Why not use flexible solar panels-- seems like this would be the best option for RV roofs that are generally too flimsy to mount hard panels. Keep mind that the wind force on the panels can equal a hurricane in force while traveling.
Here is one example that would be preferable to solid panels IMHO
http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/flexible-solar-panels-rv

10 year warranty vs 25 was my reason. And yeah, I mentioned the wind in a previous post.

Warranty is a manufacturer dependent item. Also warranty is largely a function of the manufacturer staying in business that long. I don't know of many companies that stay are in business after 25 years. Even 10 years is a long time in the solar industry for a company to remain in business. Therefore I consider the convenience and efficiency of flexible panels to be the deciding factor.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Flexible panels glued directly on the roof lose mucho output in high heat.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
dillapreme wrote:
How big of system are you currently running with the Renogy Panels?

200 watt.

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
Why not use flexible solar panels-- seems like this would be the best option for RV roofs that are generally too flimsy to mount hard panels. Keep mind that the wind force on the panels can equal a hurricane in force while traveling.

10 year warranty vs 25 was my reason. And yeah, I mentioned the wind in a previous post.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
For "best" all wiring has to be balanced and on the same posts. For option 2 move both controller wires.

The wiring should be balanced because it allows the charging and discharging voltage to be as equal as possible on each battery. That way multiple battery configurations do the same work and see the same charge and therefore have the same theoretical life span. However it is not mandatory that batteries be connected in that manner and do not HAVE to be balanced. The difference between batteries that are balanced and those that are not is rather minimal and it is more of a theoretical requirement than a practical one. But saying that it is good to connect them in a balanced manner, but nothing to loose sleep over if they are not balanced. When one replaces one battery that has died they usually replace the other one as well because its life span is considered close to expiration.

justme
Explorer
Explorer

dillapreme
Explorer
Explorer
How big of system are you currently running with the Renogy Panels?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For "best" all wiring has to be balanced and on the same posts. For option 2 move both controller wires.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

abslayer
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at option 2 That is how it is First battery + post the other battery on - post
Is that not right ??

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
abslayer wrote:
This is what I am talking about and which would be best
Neither is balanced. For option one move the negative controller wire from the left battery to the right battery and it will then be balanced.

And the positive should also have a fuse. And maybe a switch depending upon the controller.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

abslayer
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I am talking about and which would be best

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
TheWB wrote:
I chose the Renogy panels specifically because I knew I would have some shadows.
I haven't seen you post about how many amps of charging you're getting with the shadows on the panels. We're always curious about that.

Haven't paid much attention to it simply because we're never there to monitor. Always out doing something. But ya got me curious. I parked it in the yard last night with intentions of washing it today. Today is a rare cloudy day because of the cold front moving through. Current amps on the gauge says 5.4 and voltage from panels was 16, and voltage on battery was 13.7. 50ยบ out.

Real world info: We keep the RV in covered parking. So no direct sunlight. We keep trailer "on" with nothing turned on. So just the resting consumption. Batteries stay charged between 3 and 4 bars. Mornings at 3, evenings at 4. I know the hardcore electricians here will be all like... don't use the bars... they're c r a p, 'use the gauge. Just so you know - I really don't care. I know this. But for my purposes and how I use the RV, the bars are perfect and are what I use. I gotta gauge. Don't use it. If I really lived off my batteries I would give a dime. I don't.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TheWB wrote:
I chose the Renogy panels specifically because I knew I would have some shadows.
I haven't seen you post about how many amps of charging you're getting with the shadows on the panels. We're always curious about that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
Final thoughts...

Just finished a week long camping trip that took from El Paso to Van Horn to Monahans to San Angelo, to Balmorhea back to El Paso. 3 nights (including Thanksgiving) was spent at San Angelo. Single nights elsewhere.

My cabling did not even flutter during travel. Clamped my iPhone up there with a view of the cables from the curbside panel to the fridge vent. There is no slack there at all, and didn't budge. Highway travel speed was 65MPH. Couldn't clamp the phone in a spot that had a clear view of the cabling between the 2 panels, but there is no evidence on the roof that there was flopping. I think if I spent more time and dropped the filter screen for the front vent cover I could clamp the phone with a clear shot of those. Maybe some other time. I think that vent cover deflects most of the harsh stream from hitting those. Panels show no sign of stress at the mounting locations. At first I checked them at every stop. On the way back from San Angelo I didn't bother. I checked them one final time when we made it back home. All held well as expected.

First night (Van Horn) we spent off the grid (but handy in case it didn't work). dipped into the 40s at night giving the furnace a work out, kept the temp at 70ยบ. Water heater also kept on all night (gas). Fridge on gas mode as well. 3 hours of sunlight had the batteries back up to full according to the bars. I know that aint an accurate reading, but good enough for me and my uses. After that we stayed on the grid. We did use up an entire grill size propane bottle.

My only concern is the plastic cable clamps. They will get brittle in cold and sunlight will diminish their strength. I'll end up replacing them with metal clamps with the rubber surround.

I'll label this a success.