cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stoves & Ovens

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that most of the TT's we're looking at - in our price and weight range - only offer a 2-burner cooktop rather than the 3-burner range or oven. I'm guessing this is more of a cost consideration than weight, but in many of the smaller TT's an oven is not even an option.

So my first question is... Is is possible to change out the cooktop at a later time? Whatever we end up buying will likely be new so not planning to make any changes while it's under warranty but just wondering if it's possible.

Another thought... Is is possible to swap out the microwave for a convection or microwave/convection combo? I have no idea how a convection oven works so not sure if it'd require special wiring and or venting?

What are your thoughts on this?
DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP
41 REPLIES 41

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 3 burners quite a bit. I will have meat simmering on one - potatoes on the other and a vegetable on the 3rd one. Don't know for sure, but does a convection oven require 50 amp service?

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Another thing for you to think about when it comes to having a "4 Burner Cook Top" It take rather small pot and pans to fit, with all four Burners with pots or pans on them at the same time. Don't want to Burn any Handles or anything.

As I mentioned in my first post, we have everything that we will ever need ion our Kitchen, for any kind of weather or any kind of cooking. But it is a very nice Mod there, nicely done. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our Two Small "Yorkies Kids", who love to travel as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
galtgirl wrote:
Tom M....LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your range top conversion. This is exactly what I want my hubby to do in ours. Did you build new drawer fronts or order from the factory?
We have a 10 year old 5er that has dark walnut cabinets so I imagine matching the wood will be a problem. Our oven doesn't work and I'd much rather have a high end cook top and storage space where the oven is now.

Not trying to get off track but Sherwin Williams does a great job of color matching stain. Just take a drawer or door and some scraps of the wood you will be using.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
we have a 3 burner cooktop. It's been a very rare occasion when we used all 3 burners, and even when we did, we could have gotten by with 2 pretty easy. My small home built toyhauler has a 3 burner stove, never been any issue.

X2. Don't get hung up on the 3 burners. Our trailers have always had 3 burners but it's been a rare occasion when we've used 2. Never used 3 in 10 years. If you like the trailer, go for it with 2 burners. If they will put in a 3 burner cook top, that's fine too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
Tom M....LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your range top conversion. This is exactly what I want my hubby to do in ours. Did you build new drawer fronts or order from the factory?
We have a 10 year old 5er that has dark walnut cabinets so I imagine matching the wood will be a problem. Our oven doesn't work and I'd much rather have a high end cook top and storage space where the oven is now.
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

marielw824
Explorer
Explorer
FYI ... I can hardly use 2 at a time. I have 2 stand alone, individual electric burners. If I need more 'stove top' cooking room ... I put out an electric burner and cook on the counter with that while other whatever is on the RV stovetop. The burners are so close together ... there isn't room to use them very well.

Also ... I just posted a similar question about microwave swap out. : ? )

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure the opening or space to expand the opening in the counter top and cabinet area.
These things are at every RV surplus and factory, running out their ears. A lot are removing the ovens and installing dishwashers.
A lot are replacing the stove top with all electric etc.
Just a drop in and connect the gas I suspect on the two burner to three burner but I haven't measured.

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Used our oven a lot. Miss it in this MH.
Micro/Convection sucks.

Hi All.

Not trying to be a smart butt here. But why did you buy the Motorhome that you now have, if you really wanted more Gas Top Burners and a real Oven ?. Not all Motorhmes have Microwave/Convections in them either.

We got exactely what we wanted. A "3 Top Gas Burners", a "Real Oven", and a "Microwave/Convection". Everything we have is used all of the time.

Every now and then, Mother Nature plays games on us and gives us a bit of rain here and there some times.

Its nice to have all of the equipment, espically on good old fashioned cold days.

Good Luck.appy Travels. Dan & Jill & "Two Yorkie Kids"
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
We were very happy that our preferred RV had an oven. I have great memories from camping as a kid and making english muffin pizzas, etc. in the oven. I like that I don't have to be plugged in or running a generator to bake since we're often dry camping. That said, we don't use it a ton, but I like having the option and would always want one in an RV.

It's also a handy place for stashing a takeout pizza (box and all) picked up in the last town before you get to your destination. ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

wandasone
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto for most of the previous posts. I will add that if you don't dry camp we have found that the convection oven, surprisingly enough, works well in place of the standard oven. We have both but the convection does not heat up the interior of the unit anywhere near as much. However we do dry camp also and occasionally like to make biscuits or something suchlike to pour a little sausage gravy over so we use the standard oven and then don't have to run the generator.
Dan and Wanda
03 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Prius toad
Counting the days till full time!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the life of me I cant remember us ever using more than one burner.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, either a dealer or an RV Remodel Co can redo almost anything in a new or used RV. There are quite a few companies around the country that do just that.

I find I cook totally different for two than I did for 8 or more in our previous homes. We ordered our Suites without the gas oven because the GE Micro-Convection Oven gets more of a workout. With our 3-burner gas stove, I've only used the front burner. The rear ones seem to have weird settings. Only On or High and very little in between. The front has more variation from High to Low.

Tom M has a nice gas unit, but since countertop space is at a premium in most RV's including ours, I like having a gas stove that I can put a cover over and the toaster oven sits there when I don't need to heat up some soup.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
My coach has a micro/convection oven. I don't use it often, but it works great. One of the times I used it, I cooked up a 13 lb. turkey and it came out great.

I replaced the 3-burner Suburban cook-top with a residential style cook-top. The typical RV cook-top is nothing but an overpriced camp stove. The unit I put in is not cheap, but for me it was well worth it. It's a 24" Smeg. Here's a photo:
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Used our oven a lot. Miss it in this MH.
Micro/Convection sucks.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dtaylor wrote:
LOL, I thought the only thing the oven was for was storing the frying pan! Did not know people actually cooked in it.

Being serious, we do all of our cooking outside except for the microwave. The only time my stovetop has been lit is when I bleed the gas lines

X2
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide