cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The ultimate 5th wheel stabilizers!

MSHappyCampers
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I have discovered the ultimate home-made 5er stabilizers! I was at a Love's Travel Center and found the S-Line SL125-HT Ratcheting Cargo Bars at $19.95 each. The bar expands from 40 to 70 inches. It is very easy to convert to RV stabilizers as you will see in the pics below. Aside from the easy installation, the big advantage of these is the ability to use the ratchet to get the maximum pressure after the jacks are in place, thus making the 5er more stable. When you're ready to pull out, you simply move the ratchet to the free-moving position, releasing the pressure, and raise the jacks! See what you think.

This is what the bars look like before modification

The first step is to use a wheel grinder to grind off the head of the rivet which is securing the foot on the large end opposite the ratchet. Drill out the hole where the rivet was to 1/4 inch. One caution here, on one of my bars the rivet hole was too close to the end of the bar so I had to drill a new hole 90 degrees over. I had to use a small drill press to drill the holes in the bar as a hand drill kept grabbing as the bit went through. Below is what you have now.

Now you will need to drill two 1/4 inch holes in the foot at the other end of the bar to mount it to the landing jack. Check the hole spacing on your landing jacks to determine the spacing of these holes in the foot. The holes in my jacks were 1 inch apart, but I don't know if that's a standard. Next you make the brackets to secure the bars to the underside of the 5er. You have a choice here. You can leave the bars full length and use two brackets, crossing the bars in the middle, or you can use one bracket and cut off the bars to fit your 5er. I didn't have the shop facilities to properly cut off the bars so I took the simple way and used two brackets.
I made the brackets from a piece of U-shaped steel bracket. It should be at least 1 1/2 inches inside, as the bar is 1 inch in diameter. CAUTION..when you drill the hole through the sides for the bolt that goes through the bar, be SURE to measure from the SAME end of the bracket to mark the holes in the two sides! I learned this the hard way! Use a 1/4 inch hex head bolt with locking nut to secure the bracket to the end of the bar.Below are the finished brackets and the bracket attached to the bar.

Next, you want to determine the correct position for the mounting brackets on the underside of the 5er. First, release the ratchet on the bar and slide it to it's shortest length. Then, place the remaining foot on the bar all the way up against the inside of the landing jack, and secure temporarily with cable ties, tape, etc. You need to determine a center line between the two jacks. Measure from the inside center of one jack to a reference point towards either the front or back of the 5er. This could be the front edge below the storage doors, a cross member underneath, etc. Raise the end of the bar with the bracket up to see about where it will touch the bottom, then at that point make a mark on the bottom at the measured distance. In other words, this mark should be on a center line between the two jacks. Now, measure 1 inch from the center line forward or backward and make another mark. This will be the inside edge of the mounting bracket. One bracket should be 1 inch FORWARD of the center line, and the other bracket should be 1 inch BACKWARD from the center line. This is to give the two bars some separation where they cross in the middle as they move up and down. You may have a situation where there is nothing to mount the brackets to directly between the two landing jacks. These mounting brackets DO NOT have to be directly in line with the jacks! You can move several inches forward or backward to find a suitable surface without affecting performance. Just be sure to move both brackets forward or backward! Go ahead and bolt the brackets to the bottom. Now, remove the foot of the bar from it's temporary mounting at the top of the jack. With the ratchet in it's free moving position, move the foot down to the bottom of the jack and use the 1/4 inch hex bolts to secure the foot in the lowest possible position on the jack. The ratchet can be rotated to whatever position you prefer by a small clamp using a #2 phillips screwdriver and a 8mm socket. YOU'RE DONE! You'll leave the ratchet in the free-moving position while you lower the jacks to level the 5er. When it's level, move the ratchet handle to the center position and apply pressure. You'll find that you will probably only get one "click" of the ratchet but that's enough. The handle can now be folded to the closed position. There is a small bar under the handle that has to be pulled to move the handle through the different positions. One last and very important suggestion...print a warning label in LARGE letters and place it near your switches that control the landing jacks. If you forget to release the stabilizer ratchet before you start raising the jacks, IT AIN'T GONNA BE PRETTY! Good luck!

P.S. Adding this statement because of what someone said about the normal operation of JT stabilizers. DO NOT USE THE LANDING JACKS TO PUT PRESSURE ON THE STABILIZERS!! Lower the jacks to the position where the 5er is level, use the ratchet to put pressure on the stabilizers, and LEAVE THEM LIKE THAT! Using the jacks to put the pressure on the stabilizers might very well strip out the ratchet mechanism!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT
62 REPLIES 62

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I looks to me that the upper support is into the lower portion of the 5er over hang, I personally would prefer to mount one side to the lower leg and the other to the metal frame. I do not want to put holes in the underside of the 5er overhang. OR AM I SEE THE WRONG THING Ed
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

MSHappyCampers
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend of mine install a set on his Titanium this afternoon. Rock solid!
Joe & Annette

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Great project, ingenuity, and write-up. Thanks a lot!
I'd thought about doing this a couple of years ago, but couldn't come up with the right materials. Thanks for doing the legwork.
And BTW, those who question the strength seem to be targeting the lateral movement of the bars, but all the load is strictly longitudinal. I'm sure they're plenty strong. I'm going to order mine soonest.
Another BTW, I have gotten great improvement in 'wiggle' by placing a bottle jack under the frame on either side right between the tandem wheels. I just jack them up enough to take some of the weight off the tires and it takes a lot of the tire sidewall movement out of it. I also use home-made 'roto-chocks'.
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
'02 F350 PSD, CC, SRW, 2WD
One terrific wife

Admin
Moved to DIY forum from 5th Wheels
Admin
RV.net

jcullipher
Explorer
Explorer
Resourceful and well thought out.
2013 Thor Motorcoach Challenger 37DT
Ford V10, 38ft
Blue Ox towbar and baseplate
2011 Jeep Wrangler using Invisibrake.

MSHappyCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
jminyard wrote:
Mile High wrote:
I admire your dedication and resourcefulness - but I must comment:

I have JTs, and I have your stabilizer that I use to secure loads in the back of the truck. Your stabilizer is just not strong enough for the purpose you've adapted it too. I can flex mine by hand just spanning the bed of the truck. The ratchet also cannot exert enough pressure and would not be able to hold the pressure of the landing gear when trying to "set" the stabilizer like the JTs. Lastly, the ratchet only works against compression, not extension. The JT set screw works to secure both ways, which is part if the success.

To be honest, I bought one of your stabilizer at the same time as another brand that actually has opposing threads on each end that lets you turn the shaft to secure it between the bed and I prefer it over the ratchet type.

You may prove me wrong, but I don't see where they would not be strong enough. As for the flexing, they will never be extended but a few inches and I challenge anybody to bend one of them in that position. I'm not that familar with the JT's but I assume that you would bring the jacks down to where the trailer is level, go a little bit more, lock the JT's in place, then raise the jacks back to the level position, thus putting the pressure on the JT's. Correct me it that is not the correct way of setting them. With these stabilizers you just put the jacks down to the correct position, ratchet the stabilizer to put the pressure on, and you're done. Anyway, glad you're happy with your JT's and I really believe I will be just as happy with mine, for a WHOLE LOT less money! :B
Joe,
I didn't mean to sound so negative - I do hope they work out and again I admire your resourcefulness. Yes, for yours you would let down the front a little to put pressure on the stabs. I have to do the opposite to mine because I have them in the back as well. I go down in front, set the back and raise the front to put pressure on them, then set the front and raise the front a little more to take the slack out of the front stabs.

Just caught what you said above "for yours you would let down the front a little to put pressure on the stabs". I think this would be a HUGE mistake! If you use the landing jacks to put pressure on the stabilizers there is a chance you could exceed the design specs for the ratchet mechanism and strip it out. Just lower the landing gear to where the 5er is level, engage the ratchet to put pressure on the stabilizers, and LEAVE IT THERE! I think you will find that the pressure you get from the ratchet is sufficient to stabilize the RV.
Joe & Annette

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
when I got my trailer I was wondering why the need for the stabilizers, the trailer did not budge. I have since had to put the axles over the springs(axle flip) and the stability is not there anymore. and I believe most new trailers come with the axles on top of the springs. So I will soon address the problem ED
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
houtrz wrote:
kab449, try sitting in a fiver with the washer on the spin cycle. Without the stablizers your neighbors will think your filming the latest Larry Flynt video :B

This illustrates the differences between people who live in their trailers full time and ones who use them for recreational purposes. Different equipment required. I do not have and do not need a washer/dryer for camping that does not exceed 10 days per trip. I still think it is a great idea that the OP shared with us.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

houtrz
Explorer
Explorer
kab449, try sitting in a fiver with the washer on the spin cycle. Without the stablizers your neighbors will think your filming the latest Larry Flynt video :B

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love it when people rain on your parade? Great job, and thanks for the post. It's nice when fellow RVers pass on information that may help others.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I guess I must be the odd ball here, but I don't see a need for any stabilizers vs what came with my 5'er on the rear. This isn't a s&b and some movement is just going to happen. Trying to reduce what movement that does happen just isn't worth the cost or having something else to install/haul around.
A little movement doesn't bother me one bit.

X2
I hate spending more time setting up and tearing down then I have to.
For anyone feeling the need to make their trailer rock solid this is a good alternative to spending the bucks on JT's.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
jminyard wrote:
... I then locked the stabilizers and tried pushing it. It was solid, I was not able to rock it at all...

That makes it a sucessful mod in my book. If I would have seen this 2 weeks ago I would have shamelessly copied your idea to a tee. As it is, I bought the "JT-Like" stabilizers from BAL.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I must be the odd ball here, but I don't see a need for any stabilizers vs what came with my 5'er on the rear. This isn't a s&b and some movement is just going to happen. Trying to reduce what movement that does happen just isn't worth the cost or having something else to install/haul around.
A little movement doesn't bother me one bit.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

MSHappyCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I do want you to know that I just installed the stabilizers this week and have not tried them out on the campground. As a test, with the stabilizers not locked down, I pushed against the side of the 5er near the front jacks. I was able to rock it side to side considerably. I then locked the stabilizers and tried pushing it. It was solid, I was not able to rock it at all. It is entirely possible that the ratchet mechanism in these bars is not built to take what we will be putting on it. Only time will tell. Don't buy and build these on my recommendation, use your own judgement after looking at the bars BEFORE you buy them. I did not install the bars from the jacks toward the rear of the 5er because I use RotoChoks that lock the wheels so tightly that I don't think I will have any front-to-back movement. If you don't use RotoChoks or something similar then you will probably want to install the other two on the sides. Hope this helps someone!
Joe & Annette

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
jminyard wrote:
Mile High wrote:
I admire your dedication and resourcefulness - but I must comment:

I have JTs, and I have your stabilizer that I use to secure loads in the back of the truck. Your stabilizer is just not strong enough for the purpose you've adapted it too. I can flex mine by hand just spanning the bed of the truck. The ratchet also cannot exert enough pressure and would not be able to hold the pressure of the landing gear when trying to "set" the stabilizer like the JTs. Lastly, the ratchet only works against compression, not extension. The JT set screw works to secure both ways, which is part if the success.

To be honest, I bought one of your stabilizer at the same time as another brand that actually has opposing threads on each end that lets you turn the shaft to secure it between the bed and I prefer it over the ratchet type.

You may prove me wrong, but I don't see where they would not be strong enough. As for the flexing, they will never be extended but a few inches and I challenge anybody to bend one of them in that position. I'm not that familar with the JT's but I assume that you would bring the jacks down to where the trailer is level, go a little bit more, lock the JT's in place, then raise the jacks back to the level position, thus putting the pressure on the JT's. Correct me it that is not the correct way of setting them. With these stabilizers you just put the jacks down to the correct position, ratchet the stabilizer to put the pressure on, and you're done. Anyway, glad you're happy with your JT's and I really believe I will be just as happy with mine, for a WHOLE LOT less money! :B
Joe,
I didn't mean to sound so negative - I do hope they work out and again I admire your resourcefulness. Yes, for yours you would set down the front a little to put pressure on the stabs. I have to do the opposite to mine because I have them in the back as well. I go down in front, set the back and raise the front to put pressure on them, then set the front and raise the front a little more to take the slack out of the front stabs.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed