cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v shut-off

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
If my 5th wheel is parked for a couple of months and my solar panel is keeping my battery charged, should I turn off the battery disconnect switch or just leave it on?
16 REPLIES 16

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
My buddy recently bought a used Sabre and we canโ€™t find a 12v kill switch. Do some trailers not have them? The leads coming off the battery seem to terminate on a breaker before splitting and running in different directions.

Yep, my 2013 Sabre (bought in 2012) did not come with a battery disconnect from the factory.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
Thanks guys, I'd love to know the reasoning behind that. I thought all RV's had CO sensors that draw power 24/7 and not conducive to long term storage without a switch.
Your correct and that's why so many new owners complain of dead batteries in their new trailer. All that grief for a $14. discount switch.

What I can't understand is the dealer not explaining this to a new owner.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Cost, pure and simple.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I'd love to know the reasoning behind that. I thought all RV's had CO sensors that draw power 24/7 and not conducive to long term storage without a switch.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy recently bought a used Sabre and we canโ€™t find a 12v kill switch. Do some trailers not have them? The leads coming off the battery seem to terminate on a breaker before splitting and running in different directions.

No they are not a standard option they put on. My last 2 did not have them and I bought my own and installed it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
My first trailer did not have one. My current one does. It's hit or miss if the manufacturer installed one or not. Probably more do NOT install them if I were to make a guess. You are then forced to just remove lead from the battery, or install your own.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with Solar, so I cannot directly answer your question, but one thing about the Mfr provided battery disconnect. For liability reasons, it does not disconnect everything, like CO/LP detectors, breakaway switch, etc. This is the reason I installed a disconnect right in the battery compartment. That way I *know* everything is disconnected and wont come back to a dead set of batteries a month later.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
So shutting off 12v from the batteries to the trailer does NOT shut off the solar panels ability to keep the batteries charged?

It shouldn't. My solar goes from the controller directly to the battery. The shutoff goes from the the battery to the trailer, So I can shut it off to the trailer and the solar keeps the battery topped off

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
AM Allan wrote:
So shutting off 12v from the batteries to the trailer does NOT shut off the solar panels ability to keep the batteries charged?
Only a voltmeter knows for sure.

Seems like disconnecting a battery should be turning a 'connect' off.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
AM Allan wrote:
OK. Thanks ronday & laknox.

You should assume nothing. Test it with a meter.
That's the way it SHOULD work but don't guess.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
AM, that depends on how your system is wired. In most applications the panels go to the controller, the controller goes to the batteries. Some do controller to electrical panel...not many...but that violates the โ€œshortest possible distance between controller and batteries rule.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Thanks ronday & laknox.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I disconnect everything except my little storage solar panel and weather proof controller to the batteries. And Winnie is always covered when she is at rest.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad