cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13FT 8IN FW height with second AC

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
Checking the brochure for a 2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS, lists the height as 13 ft 2 in, and states to add 6 inches for the second AC. That puts the height at 13 ft 8 in.

US Federal regulations for bridge heights are between 14-16 ft: https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometric/pubs/mitigationstrategies/chapter3/3_verticalclearance.cfm

I've still yet to hook up and measure the AC height while on the truck, but how do you avoid low clearance bridges? What apps are you using?

Copy of the 2018 Avalanche brochure I'm referring to is
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS
8 REPLIES 8

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
jkwilson wrote:
There is no federal height limit. Legal height varies by state. Western states tend to allow much taller vehicles than eastern states.

True, but if you want to travel freely interstate, you need to stay 13'-6" or less. The majority of states have that limit. You can cherry pick where you choose to travel if you want.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
Makes you wonder how they can sell a trailer that is over legal height. You would get away with it I'm sure, they will never notice 2", but technically a permit would be required to move it on the highway.

What happens if you purchase the Moryde and also the second A/C? Then you're over 14'! I wonder if they would sell that combination of options? :E

I don't use an app. I just watch bridge clearance signs. Anything less than 14' is going to be well marked and usually a sign in advance. I'm only 12'-2" so I have less to worry about, less often at least.

You can't trust anything but your own tape measure. Be sure to measure it yourself.

There is no federal height limit. Legal height varies by state. Western states tend to allow much taller vehicles than eastern states.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Get a Rand McNally Motorman's Atlas. It provides all low clearance overpasses on all Primary and Secondary roads in the US and Canada.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
^ That makes sense.
2006 F250 Diesel

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the MOR/ryde pin box is adding to the overall length; not the height.
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

I think that you will find that it is not 13’8”... just guessing.. hook up, take a long, straight board up to the roof and measure...if your buying it, tell them the sale is contingent on the height being UNDER 13’6” when hooked up
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Makes you wonder how they can sell a trailer that is over legal height. You would get away with it I'm sure, they will never notice 2", but technically a permit would be required to move it on the highway.

What happens if you purchase the Moryde and also the second A/C? Then you're over 14'! I wonder if they would sell that combination of options? :E

I don't use an app. I just watch bridge clearance signs. Anything less than 14' is going to be well marked and usually a sign in advance. I'm only 12'-2" so I have less to worry about, less often at least.

You can't trust anything but your own tape measure. Be sure to measure it yourself.
2006 F250 Diesel

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I ran into this problem when I purchased our latest 5er Toy Hauler. I told them to measure it with our TV hooked up to it when we purchased it. They stated it was 13’9”. The national average for trucking is 13’6”. I measured it myself and found the height to be 13’4”. I use a gps app called Co-pilot RV. It lets you inter the height to keep you safe in you travels. Been using it for years as a fulltime RVer and it works. The one problem I have had is gps will keep you safe with bridges and Low Clearence’s wa will get you is trees.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon