I's siding on a 2 Wheel. Pulling a
Keystone RV Mountaineer 375FLF Fifth Wheels
Hitch Weight 2,120 lbs
Dry Weight 11,916 lbs
60 REPLIES 60

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
A heavy diesel front end with 4wd and rear locker is one hooked up truck in winter conditions. I love mine and would never be without. It has saved my bacon multiple times with and without my trailer and in summer and winter. Nothing beats that feeling of "oh no I'm stuck" flip switch "hey I'm out".

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pete_k wrote:
I always told myself Never would I buy a 2 wheel drive again. Well yesterday never happened. Bought a custom Chevy Kodiak c5500 crew cab to tow our camper with. So I'm sure tow bills are in my future. But do plan on adding a hidden winch to the front. That way I can winch my self out if I do mess up.

My 10 year old the 13th of this month 2500HD has not been used off road more then a hand full of times. Those times It was wait hours or go around stuff. And 4x4 is worth ever cent. If I had bought new you can bet the Ram would have been 4x4.
Could not pass up the C5500 with a cummins motor and allison trans.

Nice engine,nice Trans, what size is the Cummins, you didn't mention the year of the TC.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
I always told myself Never would I buy a 2 wheel drive again. Well yesterday never happened. Bought a custom Chevy Kodiak c5500 crew cab to tow our camper with. So I'm sure tow bills are in my future. But do plan on adding a hidden winch to the front. That way I can winch my self out if I do mess up.

My 10 year old the 13th of this month 2500HD has not been used off road more then a hand full of times. Those times It was wait hours or go around stuff. And 4x4 is worth ever cent. If I had bought new you can bet the Ram would have been 4x4.
Could not pass up the C5500 with a cummins motor and allison trans.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
The fact that you asked, tells me you don't need it.

Resale: You pay $2500 to get $1000 back at resale? Yes, 2wd sell just fine and they are around.

Off-roading with a 5th wheel: With the 5th wheel attached, a 2wd gets really good traction especially if you have a limited slip diff. More importantly, you will wind up smacking the bed rails with the overhang if you get into any real 4x4 territory.

You need it for normal driving in snow: 30 yrs of driving in Michigan including time spent living on dirt roads and only 1 time it might have been handy.

A 1-ton dually by itself is a horrible off road vehicle, bit and clunky. Not very maneuverable.

If you want one, by all means get one but understand, from a financial perspective this is a cost without a payback.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
...shoveled fresh snow under spinning wheel...

Oh, but that can't happen. Didn't you read the expert above?
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
You don't need 4 wheel until you need it!!!! Then you'll wish you had it!!!!

Been there, done that - didn't need it. (Current TV is 2 wheel drive)

Regular visitor to 7K ft mountains in winter. Didn't go "up" unless there was LOTS of snow. Had a cabin there for many years.

Part of the time I had 2 wheel drive pickup - didn't even have a locking diff. Got "stuck" one time - shoveled fresh snow under spinning wheel - drove off.

Same place - figured I should have 4 x 4, why not?
Two different vehicles over several years, never used the 4 x 4. Only advantage, was you didn't have to chain up when chains were required.

Disadvantage - got to spend some $ on repairs I wouldn't have had to if the vehicle/s were 2 wheel drive.

My place in the mtns:
Paved side street exited onto a busy highway. Shaded icy spot for last 200' with slight downhill.
With a slow approach, my 2 wheel drive always did just fine.
Got to watch the hard-charging "flatlander" 4 x 4 folks slide out into the highway with some really scary narrow misses!

Serious off-road 4x4 folks have lockers at "both ends" - otherwise it's still a slightly different version of 2 wheel drive.

IMO - it's a personal choice. Some gotta have it for fun or necessity: un-paved farm roads, mud, etc.
Decide on what *you* want/need to do.

However, if you buy 4 x 4 plan ahead for added pin *height* - before you get any unwanted surprises.. 😉

~

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:

Well, clearly you were kidding, or just felt like being argumentive. Of course it is a simplication to say an open diff is one wheel drive, but in practice that is exactly what it is. If you've ever been stuck in the mud and watched one wheel roostertail the mud, or layed down one a track burnout, which I know you have, then you understand why. So you just wanted to pout and show us all that you know how a diff works. Good job!

Sorry, I was not kidding and you have proven you have no clue. I was trying to correct a myth that a poster posted that is very common yet wrong. I see an number of myths and because it is on the internet "it has to be true." It never was true but obvious you were too lazy to watch the links so reasoning is out of the question. Facts are facts regardless what one wants the facts to be. Have a good day.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
DSteiner51 wrote:
bpounds wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.

???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.

At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.

This is totally false. Have you ever seen the inside of a differential?

You're kidding right? It is totally true unless you have limited slip or other locker. Open diffs, all power goes toward the wheel with least resistance. Most 4WD trucks do get ordered with limited slip in the rear axle, but plenty of them don't.

NO!!! I AM NOT KIDDING! A 2 wheel drive vehicle is exactly that. In an open differential BOTH wheels get equal torque. If one wheel hits a slippery spot then it will spin limiting the amount of torque to the other side to the same amount as it takes to spin the wheel on the slippery surface.

Many limited slip differentials add a slip clutch to the differential allowing extra torque being put on the wheel with more traction. Locking differentials will allow all the torque to go to the wheel with traction. Newer traction control will use the brakes, much the same as we did years ago on old farm tractors by holding the brake on the spinning wheel requiring added torque to turn it and it response increasing the torque also to the traction side.

A 4wheel drive vehicle has two differential, front and rear and both work the same way making it a true 4wheel drive vehicle.

The differential is not just a right angle gearbox as many believe. I was working on one years ago when an older farmer first told me that lie. It didn't take but a few minutes with the axle on the work bench and tires off the ground proving that lie for what it was.

Learn something before spouting.

Here is another one. It does have one small error in the commentary but most folks won't catch it.

Well, clearly you were kidding, or just felt like being argumentive. Of course it is a simplication to say an open diff is one wheel drive, but in practice that is exactly what it is. If you've ever been stuck in the mud and watched one wheel roostertail the mud, or layed down one a track burnout, which I know you have, then you understand why. So you just wanted to pout and show us all that you know how a diff works. Good job!
2006 F250 Diesel

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessary but I can go down to Dillon from the tunnel with my 15k 5er at 55mph and not touch the brake peddle for more than 10 seconds. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

Taken a step further, a winch is for the guys who have 4wd drive & thought they could go anywhere only to find out that they really only have 2wd, then need to pull themselves out with a winch.

???? You either have 2wd or 4wd and if the driver/owner hasn't figured out which he has he be in real hurt.

At any point with 4WD only 2 wheels normally have power going to them. A front wheel & a rear wheel. A 2WD only has power to 1 wheel, the one that is spinning joyously.

You're kidding right? It is totally true unless you have limited slip or other locker. Open diffs, all power goes toward the wheel with least resistance. Most 4WD trucks do get ordered with limited slip in the rear axle, but plenty of them don't.

NO!!! I AM NOT KIDDING! A 2 wheel drive vehicle is exactly that. In an open differential BOTH wheels get equal torque. If one wheel hits a slippery spot then it will spin limiting the amount of torque to the other side to the same amount as it takes to spin the wheel on the slippery surface.

Many limited slip differentials add a slip clutch to the differential allowing extra torque being put on the wheel with more traction. Locking differentials will allow all the torque to go to the wheel with traction. Newer traction control will use the brakes, much the same as we did years ago on old farm tractors by holding the brake on the spinning wheel requiring added torque to turn it and it response increasing the torque also to the traction side.

A 4wheel drive vehicle has two differential, front and rear and both work the same way making it a true 4wheel drive vehicle.

The differential is not just a right angle gearbox as many believe. I was working on one years ago when an older farmer first told me that lie. It didn't take but a few minutes with the axle on the work bench and tires off the ground proving that lie for what it was.

Learn something before spouting.

Here is another one. It does have one small error in the commentary but most folks won't catch it.
D. Steiner

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Veebyes wrote:
mountainsam wrote:
Four wheel drive is for getting you out of the mess 2 wheel drive got you into.

No, with 2wd you get out & have a look before you drive into questionable places.

How true!! Long time saying here is, a 4WD will only get you in deeper, and then you are really stuck.

I am on my 6th 4x4, and the only one I haven't had really stuck, is my current one, with only 4,000 miles on it. At least it was deep snow, which requires a lot shoveling, more so when the frame is being held up by crusted snow, and no tires touching ground. Still better than being stuck in deep mud!!

Jerry

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

D. Steiner

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Have we beat this one enough? :B

I guess not...

If you want to drive here...

and set up camp here...

then you might find 4WD useful. North Rim, Grand Canyon.

But if this is your camping style...

then can't imagine you'll need it.
2006 F250 Diesel