cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel vs Bumper Tow - Weight

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
I've considered two different options to upgrade from our small TH. First is the Nitro 29udql5 - 5th wheel. From my calculations the 2,029lb pin weight and 10,377 dry weight of this rig will be too much for my 08 GMC 2500 crew cab diesel. So, option 2 we are considering is the Amped 32GS, which is a travel trailer TH about 10,000 lbs dry and about a 1,400 lb hitch weight. So I thought I knew something about trailers, but in my case a bumper tow trailer is okay for my truck, but a 5th wheel is too much? Thanks for any insight from the pros.
25 REPLIES 25

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
So I thought I knew something about trailers, but in my case a bumper tow trailer is okay for my truck, but a 5th wheel is too much? Thanks for any insight from the pros.

Every 3/4 ton truck can pull some 5th wheel trailers.
For sure the Dmax/A will pull anything a one ton DRW will...but is limited by the smaller 6200 RAWR/tires which includes rear spring pack and maybe 17" tires and wheels.
Many 3/4 ton/diesel trucks rear axle may weigh in the 3000 lb range which leaves around 3200 lb for a payload.

IMO the truck won't have any issues pulling either of those trailers.

If you decide to get a fifth wheel trailer don't add any suspension help till you load it up and then make a short drive. Then is the time to decide if any help is needed.

I pull a 11200 lb 5th wheel trailer with a older '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins. The truck is no where near max in the go and stop part of towing trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
OP, You are correct that a 3/4 ton doesn't give much for pin weight.
A 5er tows a whole lot better than a tow behind.

If u r worried about tow ratings, look at a smaller 5er or just go with a tow behind.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone. I am still reading the responses and they are insightful. I appreciate learning from other's experience(s).

jareddustin
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
You would probably get more responses if you put it on the TOW VEHICLE forum instead of just toy haulers.

if going a tag trailer i would want to go with something smaller. i dont have alot of experience but at that length it will not be a great towing experience. my good friend had one about that length and could not go over 55 or the trailer would start swaying alot, also killed the gas mileage. and the gross weight of the tag is greater then what that truck is rated for. i have pretty much the same truck but an 09. my trailer is 31' long hitch to rear, with a gross weight of 10,900 dry its about 6800. i dont have any issues towing it but if i went any bigger i would want a 5th. just full of water you are almost 11,200lbs not including gas, gear and any toys. and that tongue weight is more than half the payload on the truck. in the end its your money and your choice.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Hell my current 5er tows better than my little old 20ft WW Toyhauler. Will never go back either. Too much to like about the 5er over a bumper pull.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
I'll never go back to a tag trailer.

Hater.

:B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
jlud wrote:
I would rather tow a TT th and be well under weight ratings than go over the ratings for a 5th wheel. My 9,000 lbs dry TT has a 4k capacity and tows just fine with a sway bar set up. I would not be scared from buying one by saying it won't handle well because it flat out isn't true...mine handles just fine for a newbie at towing...no white knuckle moments or inadequate power or worrying about safety of being overweight.

A 5th wheel might pull better, but I can tell you mine goes perfectly fine as a tt and zero complaints.

Have you ever towed a 5er?

Your TT is a different beast than a bumper Toyhauler. Guarantee you your hitch weight is much less than 1400lb. Toyhaulers put a lot of weight on the hitch assuming your going to be loading the back with a couple thousand pounds of toys.

Having pulled both, 1/2 ton pulling 24' TH (overweight) with air bags, then my current trailer with 3 different trucks I will say there is NO COMPARISON. Towing a fifth wheel is a dream compared to a large tag. And if its windy I don't care what kind of hitch you have (I had a good Eaz Lift with sway control) the tag is not fun, the fifth wheel hardly feel the wind.

The wind tends to push both fifth wheel and truck down wind while the tag trailer will overpower the tow vehicle and try to turn it, forcing you to actually turn the front wheels downwind, not upwind; hope that makes sense.

I'll never go back to a tag trailer.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Boosted1200 wrote:
I just had 26,000 behind my work truck gm 2500 srw no trailer brakes 80mph no problem and still stops..........
Hafta wonder what WIHP would make of that combo (and speed!)
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is a Toyhauler...it pulls what I would call very well as I have never had a camper before and its my first one. It has no sway, no shimmie, no up or down, windy days have been fine, passing vehicles no issue, etc.

I have not pulled a 5er, but I have pulled a gooseneck with hogs (shifting load much fun), grain wagons, grain truck, etc on the farm.

I have not measured my hitch weight but I believe it was published around 1300 range dry. To be fair I have not put much for toys in the back so far, so its possible that could make an impact. I hear 5th wheels pull better and dont doubt it, but if the choice is overweight or within weight I would probably take the within option.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
jlud wrote:
I would rather tow a TT th and be well under weight ratings than go over the ratings for a 5th wheel. My 9,000 lbs dry TT has a 4k capacity and tows just fine with a sway bar set up. I would not be scared from buying one by saying it won't handle well because it flat out isn't true...mine handles just fine for a newbie at towing...no white knuckle moments or inadequate power or worrying about safety of being overweight.

A 5th wheel might pull better, but I can tell you mine goes perfectly fine as a tt and zero complaints.

Have you ever towed a 5er?

Your TT is a different beast than a bumper Toyhauler. Guarantee you your hitch weight is much less than 1400lb. Toyhaulers put a lot of weight on the hitch assuming your going to be loading the back with a couple thousand pounds of toys.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

jlud
Explorer
Explorer

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I've been RVing for quite awhile, but never really paid attention to weight numbers until I started looking for a bigger trailer. I have seen many trucks like mine pulling big, heavy rigs and it seems to be the norm. To now find out this is often being done outside vehicle manufacturers guidelines is news to me. It almost seems like a dirty little secret of RV companies and their dealers. Thanks again to everyone that responded.

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
It has always appeared to me that mfg. Trailer tow rating ignores truck gross vehicle rating.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
same trailer is in my sig. but pulled with 2005 2500 Duramax. Had to add air bags to level it off by about 1.5" but pulled and handled great, new truck is better but would not hesitate to pull with the old TV (my trailer is 13,500 GVWR per the MFR. sticker)
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX