cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have to send fiver back to mfg for major repair?

Kate_and_Ed
Explorer
Explorer
Friend has Montana that’s flooring ruined by hot water heater leak. Brand new fiver. It’s basically her primary residence since she sold home. Wondered if anyone experienced what mfg might offer to do for customer in this situation?!? Offer temporary substitute until ready for instance?
Kathy and Ed
9 REPLIES 9

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have personal experience with Keystone Montana, but yes, I have had a camper that was back to the factory twice for repairs. It was a 2010 Coachmen Northridge. It was a piece of junk! In three years of ownership, I had at least 50 quality related/ warranty repairs. Turned me totally off to any Coachmen product! Every trip out I would come home with two to three repairs to make.
In general, Manufactures, once the unit leaves the factory, turn all repairs over to the selling dealership. Only if the dealer determines they can not handle the repair will they send the unit back to the factory, or make arrangements for the owner to take it to the factory. Then the wait time can be weeks!

Bandaid

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
Back a few years ago, Sept of 2016, we had issues with some slide out seals / gaskets. Grand Design, scheduled the unit back to the factory for repairs. They paid for our gas to and from, paid for our lodging for four days and replaced all the slide out gaskets and went through and made sure everything was in spec. We didn't have any other issues with it while we had it until late 2019.

That speaks very highly of Grand Design!
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Back a few years ago, Sept of 2016, we had issues with some slide out seals / gaskets. Grand Design, scheduled the unit back to the factory for repairs. They paid for our gas to and from, paid for our lodging for four days and replaced all the slide out gaskets and went through and made sure everything was in spec. We didn't have any other issues with it while we had it until late 2019.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Kate and Ed wrote:
Friend has Montana that’s flooring ruined by hot water heater leak. Brand new fiver. It’s basically her primary residence since she sold home. Wondered if anyone experienced what mfg might offer to do for customer in this situation?!? Offer temporary substitute until ready for instance?

If the leak was due to a faulty water heater or faulty installation, then she would likely have a warranty claim. If it was the heater, itself, then whoever made it would most likely be on the hook for damages. If it was only the floor =covering=, a dealer would likely handle that. If the entire sub-floor is shot, then it =might= need to go back to the factory, but it might not. IMO, an insurance claim needs to be filed and let them hash it out with the mfr/dealer.

Since we can't talk about legal stuff, I won't suggest getting an attorney involved.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
She has already posted on the Montana Forum. She has owned it since early June and already spent 5 weeks with the dealer with little help.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm betting nothing. I don't think Montana advertises for use as Full Time (not that it's a problem), so they are unlikely to consider obliged to accommodate her non-recommended use.

Standard fare for warranty work is, the dealer gets around to it when they get around to it. Paying customers come first and they fill in warranty work when they are slow. I've never seen a warranty that had a time requirement. It's not uncommon for buyers to lose much of their first summer with an RV waiting for warranty work.

Unfortunately, if they have to take it back to the factory (unlikely), she's looking at some sort of medium term rental. Check airbnb for monthly stays.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Needs to look for an Extend-a-stay type place with weekly/monthly rentals.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Go over to the Montana Owners Club forum. Someone there may be able to provide some guidance with who to contact.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suspect she will have to find an apartment to rent.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine