cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater won't shut off.

heavyodie1
Explorer
Explorer
Have a G10-3e that is heating to the point of pressure relief valve weeping. Water is extremely hot and the gas doesn't shut off. This is a gas only water heater and I have replaced the gas valve and the thermostats with no difference. Don't know what to try next.
9 REPLIES 9

heavyodie1
Explorer
Explorer
Had a hard time finding the 1/2" regulator but did get it replaced. Everything worked fine and water temp is 150 when it shuts off. Thanks everyone for the help.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
heavyodie1 wrote:
You were right OB. I again tried the air pocket then lit the gas and let it go until the regulator started weeping. Checked the water temp and it was 155. I will replace the regulator next weekend and let you know if that fixes it. I am using an electric hot rod right now but our park frowns on using electric.??

I bet your park smiles when you pay the rent!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

heavyodie1
Explorer
Explorer
You were right OB. I again tried the air pocket then lit the gas and let it go until the regulator started weeping. Checked the water temp and it was 155. I will replace the regulator next weekend and let you know if that fixes it. I am using an electric hot rod right now but our park frowns on using electric.??

heavyodie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks OB. I won't be at the trailer until this weekend so I'll get back to you.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You stated ....."have replaced gas valve and the thermostats with no difference"

Then you did not get t-stats tight against water heater tank wall.
I do not like Atwoods method of holding t-stats. Plastic washer pressing against a spring that has to be held compressed by three small tabs.

If tank wall is dirty where t-stats touch......t-stats won't sense temp (actually temp will go higher before t-stat opens
If t-stats are not tight.... same ----high temp before opening
If t-stats terminals/connectors not clean & tight....t-stats can open erratic

Turn water heater ON
When propane shuts off OR T&P Weeping hot water (it steams when it is released into atmosphere----doubt it is 210*F-----hot but not that high)
Collect a cup of full hot from faucet with thermometer in cup.......note highest temp reaches.

With that info...........easier to pin point issue

Post here or PM me with temps.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess the TT is not good or installed correct. The relief valve leaks because the water is hot and the reason for this relief valve. Air chamber as was posted above should help the problem. what else can the problem caused from?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

heavyodie1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You have a 10 gallon DSI propane water heater

It has 2 t-stats

Brown wire goes to normal t-stat (preset 140*F)

Red wire goes to ECO (high temp) t-stat (preset 180*F)

T&P Relief valve OPENS at 210*F/150 PSI

Weeping ......

Water swells when heated. If air pocket in top of tank (there by design) gets lost pressure can build up causing T&P to weep

Turn off water supply
Open faucet hot side to relieve pressure
Open T&P via lever....let snap close when water stops running out
Close faucet
Turn on water supply

Thanks. I've done all of that with no improvement. The water is steaming hot when the pressure relief starts weeping so I don't think there is a problem with that. Don't know what to try next.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manual is here
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a 10 gallon DSI propane water heater

It has 2 t-stats

Brown wire goes to normal t-stat (preset 140*F)

Red wire goes to ECO (high temp) t-stat (preset 180*F)

T&P Relief valve OPENS at 210*F/150 PSI

Weeping ......

Water swells when heated. If air pocket in top of tank (there by design) gets lost pressure can build up causing T&P to weep

Turn off water supply
Open faucet hot side to relieve pressure
Open T&P via lever....let snap close when water stops running out
Close faucet
Turn on water supply
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31