cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto satellite

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Which roof mounted auto satellite to get for direct tv? I would like to stay on the lower priced end.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
11 REPLIES 11

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
In three years there has only been one time that the Wingard Trav'ler coud not get the Dish network signal due to trees, fixed that by moving about 10 feet. Stopped carrying the portable dish a year ago.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
So far we have never gone without reception, even that hard to get 129 Satellite low on the Horizon (Dish). I don't know if Direct uses that satellite or not, but there were occasions I worried that the mountains would block it.

On our old Dome - rain would put us out of service pretty quick until it dried out.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
I have dish and I hate it. We switched from direct tv to dish about 2 years ago and I have not liked it since. I am switching back to direct and want a mounted auto dome. I am tired of messing with the dish tailgater.

I stay in an rv park on the Madison river every summer for about 6 weeks, and have gotten to know and make friends with the other regulars that come every summer, and it seems that the only problem people have with reception is with dish for whatever reasons, never had a problem with reception with direct

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
We too love the Travler Slimline...we carry an HD ground dish for those very few times we can't get reception off the roof...won't ever go back!!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We debated this issue a few years back. Had been using a portable dish on a tripod and was fine (only had Std Def tvs). Then we moved up to a bigger rig and HD TVs, stayed with the portable for a while, but with more travel it became a PITA so we finally broke down and had the Winegard Travelr Slimline dish installed. Needless to say, there was no discussion when we ordered our Redwood, made the Slimline dish part of the order. Yes every once in a while you have reception issues with trees, but most CGs now have Satellite Friendly sites, you just have to ask. Just keep in mind that domes use a much smaller size dish and are subject to more reception problems than a larger dish and the Slimline when stowed isn't any taller than a dome.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a roof top HD Winegard Traveller with DirecTv and we love it. Hit the button and it does all the work for you. We have not had to use a portable dish since we had it installed. We just ask for a satellite friendly site. All satellite dishes, portable or roof mounted have issues in heavy rain. Yes, it costs a few dollars but as full timers we thought it was worth it.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
I have dish and I hate it. We switched from direct tv to dish about 2 years ago and I have not liked it since. I am switching back to direct and want a mounted auto dome. I am tired of messing with the dish tailgater.

OK ๐Ÿ™‚

If you want High Def, you need an SK-WM3 Traveler. If you are OK with Standard Def, the RT4000 dome.
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have to have HD in the RV (I don't) the winegaurd was not bad, cost was around 1150 installed. I like it much better then the one that replaces the crank up antenna as there no searching for signal. A Friend has the winegaurd that replaced his crank up and its more involved.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately the Direct TV SK is about $400 more than the Dish Version. Switch to Dish, then you can even have HD in a dome for about $850.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Domes will get SD, the Winegard SK series will get HD. Just remember they are not 100% fool proof. If you park near trees it is very possible you will not get a signal without resorting to a ground antenna. Ground antenna is by far a better solution. Couple that with a great satellite meter and save the 1500 dollars for camping.