cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Companion users

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
My new truck has a drop in liner in the bed. Will a Companion work without cutting the bed liner? I know I will have to cut it for the ball to come through but didn't know if there was an adjustment on the Companion to allow for the thickness of the bed liner.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.
26 REPLIES 26

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I run a companion. First truck had a sprayed in liner. Worked fine with the hitch. Present truck has a rubber mat. B&W's present day instructions says to cut the mat under where the hitch rests on the bed - two huge rectangles. I didn't cut the mat and it does squash down under the weight.

The original instructions for my hitch said it could sit on top of a drop-in liner. I wouldn't have done it then, nor would I now. Too much weight/stress being put onto a piece of plastic.

If I were in your shoes... a couple options. Sell the liner and get what you can towards spring in or mat. OR you could cut out the entire bottom of the liner and put a mat down on the bed of the truck.

Up to you, but I would not trust the weights involved sitting upon a piece of corrugated plastic.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
AZ T&T wrote:

These photos are of my hitch after installing the GM base to stop bed creasing.

Cool! Thanks, Tom.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer

These photos are of my hitch after installing the GM base to stop bed creasing.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
That is the new model RVK3500 companion with the feet tucked in, the old model RVK3000 the feet turned outward and were just flat on the bottom.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
transamz9 wrote:
I robbed this from another thread. If you look closely the little pads are adjustable from side to side on this hitch with slotted holes in the hitch base.

Thanks; I don't recall seeing that before. Must be the solution for the bed creasing.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I robbed this from another thread. If you look closely the little pads are adjustable from side to side on this hitch with slotted holes in the hitch base.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Best use for a drop in bed liner is to put it upside down and let some farm animal use it for shelter.

They make a heck of a multi-person snow sled also.....

In all seriousness though, does or can someone get a picture of the under side of a Companion hitch. Also, how thick are the little adjustable feet that rest on the bed and their dimensions? I'm brain storming here. I hate the drop-ins too but I got what I got and first things first, I need a hitch and I would really like to make the B&W work and work correctly with the bed liner I have at the moment.

The Companion I have, that works with the Turnover Ball, does not have adjustable "feet". There are 4 ~1/4" thick rubber pads that sit directly on the bed. The square tube that goes into the receiver is designed to bottom out on the hole in perfect alignment with the cross-pin. You then screw down the hold down bolt that's in the Companion frame into the vertical tube and torque to 40 lb ft. As mine's the old style, I have 2 u-bolts that are then tightened around the vertical tube and torqued to 80 lb ft. As you can see, there is no "adjustment" on the older Companions. I'm not familiar at all with the newer versions, though I do know that trucks in the past couple years have been having issues with the bed corrugation crushing/bending under load. B&W has addressed this with an insert that replaces the flat rubber pads with a pad that fits into the bed corrugation to spread the load at the corners onto a larger surface area. A really stupid way to take 5 lbs off a truck, IMO, by making the working surface thinner and less durable. Yet one more reason to have a quality spray-in liner.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Best use for a drop in bed liner is to put it upside down and let some farm animal use it for shelter.

They make a heck of a multi-person snow sled also.....

In all seriousness though, does or can someone get a picture of the under side of a Companion hitch. Also, how thick are the little adjustable feet that rest on the bed and their dimensions? I'm brain storming here. I hate the drop-ins too but I got what I got and first things first, I need a hitch and I would really like to make the B&W work and work correctly with the bed liner I have at the moment.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Passin' Through wrote:

"I know people who've been ticketed for not having safety chains (or loose chains) on trailers AND fifth wheels. Not as obvious on a FW, for sure, but if a cop sees you in a lot, then waits for you to leave, he can nail you. Have known a couple CDL's get cited when they forgot to hook 'em up, as well. I have a triple-axle GN and you can bet they're always hooked up whenever I move it.

Lyle"

Safety chains on fifth-wheels? I've seen a many thousands of big rigs as well as pickups towing 5ers, and never once saw one with safety chains. Maybe you meant a connected breakaway switch?

Sorry, I meant "GN", not "FW".

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably referring to 5th wheels being pulled with gooseneck adapters not having safety chains.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer

"I know people who've been ticketed for not having safety chains (or loose chains) on trailers AND fifth wheels. Not as obvious on a FW, for sure, but if a cop sees you in a lot, then waits for you to leave, he can nail you. Have known a couple CDL's get cited when they forgot to hook 'em up, as well. I have a triple-axle GN and you can bet they're always hooked up whenever I move it.

Lyle"

Safety chains on fifth-wheels? I've seen a many thousands of big rigs as well as pickups towing 5ers, and never once saw one with safety chains. Maybe you meant a connected breakaway switch?
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
transamz9 wrote:
laknox wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
My new truck has a drop in liner in the bed. Will a Companion work without cutting the bed liner? I know I will have to cut it for the ball to come through but didn't know if there was an adjustment on the Companion to allow for the thickness of the bed liner.

As the others have said, no way do you want to use a drop-in bed liner with the Companion. Get a spray-in. Also, if you're using the Turnover Ball, and want to have the ability to use the GN hitch, you will need to have the 5 1/2" holes for the safety chain hold-downs drilled in the bed as well as the center 4" hole for the ball. Almost all states require safety chains when using any sort of ball hitch. I don't think it's one of those things that you can skate by with as a "my home state" exemption.

Lyle

LOL! I know you're right, I just wanted to say I bet I've only seen one or two trailers in my state that still has the chains on. HAHAHA! I know nun of ours do.:S

I know people who've been ticketed for not having safety chains (or loose chains) on trailers AND fifth wheels. Not as obvious on a FW, for sure, but if a cop sees you in a lot, then waits for you to leave, he can nail you. Have known a couple CDL's get cited when they forgot to hook 'em up, as well. I have a triple-axle GN and you can bet they're always hooked up whenever I move it.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

As the others have said, no way do you want to use a drop-in bed liner with the Companion. Get a spray-in. Also, if you're using the Turnover Ball, and want to have the ability to use the GN hitch, you will need to have the 5 1/2" holes for the safety chain hold-downs drilled in the bed as well as the center 4" hole for the ball. Almost all states require safety chains when using any sort of ball hitch. I don't think it's one of those things that you can skate by with as a "my home state" exemption.

Lyle

LOL! I know you're right, I just wanted to say I bet I've only seen one or two trailers in my state that still has the chains on. HAHAHA! I know nun of ours do.:S