cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing on wrong side

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm supposed to pick up my 40' 5th wheel friday and have been watching youtube videos on how to back.

All of the videos say to have the place you are backing into on the drivers side. Well, our driveway is not on the drivers side - its the opposite and I cannot see sitting in the wrong lane the first time I attempt to back this rig up.

Any suggestions on best way to do this?
50 REPLIES 50

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never realized that backing in from the "wrong side" was harder. I just assumed that the workers that installed our driveway put it in the wrong place.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Based upon the location of our parking spot in the driveway - always back in from the passenger side. I can see the house and make sure I do not hit it. My wife watches the drivers side at the beginning.

Have to re-learn backing every spring.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
Just go slow don't be in a hurry. Pull out and start over after a deep breath.

Best advice I have seen in this whole thread. Being a farmer for years and now Rving,
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
When we travel we prefer a 'blind side' back in over any other type of site. Its only a little more trouble and knowledge to manage backing into a curb side site.

Pull Thrus are in the middle of the camp, sight side back ins leave your camp side open to any walker or drive by. Privacy is gone.
A blind side back in almost always gives us more privacy by turning our camp side away from the road, in a part of the camp less used, on the fringe with noone behind us. Little trouble for the benefit.
Max

What he said!
Power mirrors are also helpful as you can follow the camper far enough until you can see for yourself. We never take an interior site if it can be avoided.
Puma 30RKSS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
paulbeauchemin wrote:
I'm supposed to pick up my 40' 5th wheel friday and have been watching youtube videos on how to back.

Any suggestions on best way to do this?

Over and over till you get it right.

After 7 years I'm getting good at it most of the time.

Just go slow don't be in a hurry. Pull out and start over after a deep breath.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel we prefer a 'blind side' back in over any other type of site. Its only a little more trouble and knowledge to manage backing into a curb side site.

Pull Thrus are in the middle of the camp, sight side back ins leave your camp side open to any walker or drive by. Privacy is gone.
A blind side back in almost always gives us more privacy by turning our camp side away from the road, in a part of the camp less used, on the fringe with noone behind us. Little trouble for the benefit.
Max

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't find it any easier to back from one side or the other. It is much more important where the obstacles are, both behind you, and in front where the truck has to swing. Just practice whichever way your driveway requires.

As for traffic, I live on a fairly busy street. I wait for traffic to clear enough to get my backup started. After that, screw'em, they just have to wait. And I'm not going to pay them any attention. That needs to be on my rig. In truth, once in a while someone will honk, but mostly people are engrossed in watching me do something that they don't have the nerve to attempt.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spotters are nice, but done for years without one. If you get use to a spotter wha happens when you don't have one??
You want some fun try backing to the blindside uphill with a manual transmission.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Better known as backing on your "blind" side. If your right hand mirror says, "objects may appear closer than they" ...good luck! Distorts distance to much.

But at least you're not blind siding against one way traffic into a alley.

To get new hires more comfortable with blind siding, we used to hose down the spot they are leaving from, then have them pull out the trailer. Then put down some rope following the curve of the tire tracks, (where the wheels left tire tracks in the water). Then go around the block and then have them back up trying to keep trailer tires on the rope.

But first get some "stick" time as others have mentioned.

One of the first things I would do is (being careful) is see how sharp of an angle I can cut trailer to see if it will hit cab.

And daylight is more user friendly than in the dark.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
AS a poster above said watch your wheels in the mirror and know where you want them to go. Mark the ground/driveway with tape or chalk and keep your wheels on the line.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

gjcummings
Explorer
Explorer
Use a spotter...wife or other and do not forget your GOAL...Get Out And Look
Bigger mirrors as mentioned a must...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truth is. Either way is just like the other. you still have to use the mirrors, and need a spotter, especially if you can't se the post on the corner.
I back out of the road and around the house to the left, but I have to turn it to the right to get under the shed. I can't see the posts on either side. that is what DW is out there for.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean your driveway is on the opposite side. It all depends on which way you approach it. If the way you normally drive to your home puts it on the passenger side then just come in the road from the other direction. Or, go around the block or whatever you have to do.
Blind side backing up is certainly more difficult. If you don't have a spotter then stop periodically and get out and look where your trailer is.
I have to say, if this is your first time backing a trailer and it's a 40 footer you've got a lot of something, not sure what appropriate word to use.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's four words, darsben1.....three words and a number.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
2 words
Backup camera
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind