cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beef up (fish plate) “I” beam frame

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dealer told me some people have done this. Adding 10 or 12 feet of plate centred over axels.
This should prevent rear frame sag which I think my 34 foot Cedar Creek has some of.

Thoughts?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
28 REPLIES 28

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lippert produces EXACTLY what most manufacturers want plain and simple "light and cheap" !!!

Now my Mobile Suites Lippert frame is hell for stout because it was designed to meet DRV's specs.

I know of two people who own DRVs, one a camp host who I know like a brother, and both have been back to the DRV factory more than once for frame issues up at the front.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers know exactly what LCI is engineering and chooses to accept it. They accept it because all the liability is on LCI, and they're cheap, which goes straight to the bottom line. When something fails its on LCI's nickel, not the manufacturer, even if the manufacturer gets involved which they don't have to, and most could care less.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lippert produces EXACTLY what most manufacturers want plain and simple "light and cheap" !!!

Now my Mobile Suites Lippert frame is hell for stout because it was designed to meet DRV's specs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Curly2001 wrote:
That doesn't say much for the manufacturers if they do "under spec" the frames and other components to save money,although it is much the same with auto manufacturers. Even if you think "you get with you pay for", that really doesn't mean anything anymore. Manufacturers will still use the cheapest **** they can get away with like putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig even though it is pretty.
Curly

At the same time, LCI =could= have said to a mfr that they would refuse to accept a spec, given the end product, but no, they simply built it, did a cr@ppy job, then refused to warrant their junk.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wing_zealot wrote:
Lippert makes what the manufacturers want. If the manufacturers wanted stronger more durable components, they would get them; as long as their willing to pay for them. Suppliers don't make a bunch of frames then go see if someone wants to buy them. Suppliers build frames to the manufacturer's specs. The price and specs are negotiated before the supplier even turns on the light switch in the plant. Everyone is on the same page and knows exactly what is what. The manufacturer is getting exactly what he wanted and paid for.

I don't disagree with you 100%, but I will say that LCI's =build= quality, no matter the spec, leaves a lot to be desired, though it does seem to have improved the past several years. About 8-10 years ago, there were =lots= of post here, with pictures, of broken frames and, especially, broken welds. Many of those welds, while pretty, had little to no penetration, so were mere decoration, with little to no strength. This led to other problems, including broken frames, mostly in the pin box area, around the suspension and in the frame step area. Sadly, the mfrs refused to really inspect the frames and either fix them before building on them, or flat-out returning them to LCI as sub-standard. Had the mfrs, as an industry, been willing to go draconian on LCI back then, you'd've seen a lot fewer frame issues, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:

The manufacturer may spec what the frame needs to accomodate, but LCI does the engineering. The manufacturer has 0 liabilty should the frame fail, unless they choose to assume some of it. LCI warrants the frame. LCI sucks and essentially has a monopoly. They bought out almost every other frame fabricator involved with the RV industry or undercut them out of business systematically. The RV industry sucks as well. Birds of a feather.

This! As well as a few other established, reputable RV component manufactures....then outsourced and/or lowered the quality! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
Lippert makes what the manufacturers want. If the manufacturers wanted stronger more durable components, they would get them; as long as their willing to pay for them. Suppliers don't make a bunch of frames then go see if someone wants to buy them. Suppliers build frames to the manufacturer's specs. The price and specs are negotiated before the supplier even turns on the light switch in the plant. Everyone is on the same page and knows exactly what is what. The manufacturer is getting exactly what he wanted and paid for.

Exactly, and the manufacturers are producing what the customers will buy. They are making tradeoffs between price, weight (towability), length, structure vs interior appointments, etc. I know I'm not willing to pay what it would cost for a 16" fully boxed frame and the MDT that it would take to tow it. My problem with the industry isn't with building to a price point, it's poor QA/QC. For example a weld should never break, if it does you've first **** up the welding, and then **** up the QA.

The manufacturer may spec what the frame needs to accomodate, but LCI does the engineering. The manufacturer has 0 liabilty should the frame fail, unless they choose to assume some of it. LCI warrants the frame. LCI sucks and essentially has a monopoly. They bought out almost every other frame fabricator involved with the RV industry or undercut them out of business systematically. The RV industry sucks as well. Birds of a feather.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:

Exactly, and the manufacturers are producing what the customers will buy. They are making tradeoffs between price, weight (towability), length, structure vs interior appointments, etc. I know I'm not willing to pay what it would cost for a 16" fully boxed frame and the MDT that it would take to tow it. My problem with the industry isn't with building to a price point, it's poor QA/QC. For example a weld should never break, if it does you've first **** up the welding, and then **** up the QA.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
That doesn't say much for the manufacturers if they do "under spec" the frames and other components to save money,although it is much the same with auto manufacturers. Even if you think "you get with you pay for", that really doesn't mean anything anymore. Manufacturers will still use the cheapest **** they can get away with like putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig even though it is pretty.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I’m glad that you folks mentioned Lippert......I suspected as much! “If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....”! Lippert has a long-standing, traceable trail of producing garbage. From their frames, to their axles, and most things they produce/sell! As much as I hate government intervention....The RV industry has long needed some form of “quality controls, much like the automotive industry or aviation, to name a couple! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
With the way they put axles under these trailers that are barely strong enough to support the weight from the factory.... If you are going to add another couple hundred pounds of steel (maybe more depending on thickness of plate) I would take a serious look at the axle ratings.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert actually has a part number for patching their pathetic frames. While it is much shorter than your proposed fix, it shows the need for it. Patch

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I’m reasonably certain, that if done properly, it should help. I fail to see how increasing the “web” thickness can hurt, only help! The sad part...you have to consider doing this! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl