cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bicycles

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long time truck camper, and am now considering adding a fifth wheel to the mix. I was thinking toy hauler, but only because my wife and I each have bicycles. I know a toy hauler might be overkill for that, but when the grandkids stay, they could sleep in the toy hauler part. But the difference in living space between the two is quite profound (and also price).
For non-toy haulers, if you carry a couple of bikes, how do you haul them? I was thinking of trying to find a way to secure them inside the camper. Not knowing fifth wheels, I don't know if that is practical. I've seen bike racks on the back of some, but it seems a little strange having a bike rack hanging off the back of something so big. Thank you.
27 REPLIES 27

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Carry 2 bikes on top.
Could carry 3 if needed.

Carry 2 or 3 smaller bikes inside.

Also carry 12'X 12' screen house, 10'X 10' canopy,

treated firewood, splitting maul, fire extinguisher,

extra water hose, 20,30,50 amp power cords,

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve carried up to five bikes(2adults3kids)when the kids were small inside our fifth wheel since 2002 without issue. Now it’s just 2 adult bikes. Just make sure they’re secure enough to not move around too much.
E.Lee Galik

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Martyn wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
We've carried our two bikes on an RV-rated bike rack mounted on the chassis-integrated hitch receiver on the back of our two fifth wheels the whole time we've been on the road. Zero issues and no sacrifice of interior configuration or living space. We keep them secured and a good cover on them at all times (except when riding, of course).

Rob

Ditto - have done over 12,000 miles with two electric bikes on Thule rack on rear hitch - Hitch was preinstalled on our Cougar and is rated for a tongue weight of 300 lbs, plus 3000 bs tow weight. Back in Colorado, all surrounding states, we used to tow double as it was allowed there - but not here in Florida. Bikes don't move much - Thule has a screw tightening pin which takes out most of the hitch movement.

As for the hitch mounted on the pin - that would be better for long bed trucks, where turning and hitting the cab with the bikes may not be an issue. Plus, at 74, I don't think I could lift a bike that high any more. 🙂

And wouldn't the bikes take a decent beating from elements and bugs on the hitch pin? I used to clean the front cap of our FW - not fun.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:
We've carried our two bikes on an RV-rated bike rack mounted on the chassis-integrated hitch receiver on the back of our two fifth wheels the whole time we've been on the road. Zero issues and no sacrifice of interior configuration or living space. We keep them secured and a good cover on them at all times (except when riding, of course).

Rob

Ditto - have done over 12,000 miles with two electric bikes on Thule rack on rear hitch - Hitch was preinstalled on our Cougar and is rated for a tongue weight of 300 lbs, plus 3000 bs tow weight. Back in Colorado, all surrounding states, we used to tow double as it was allowed there - but not here in Florida. Bikes don't move much - Thule has a screw tightening pin which takes out most of the hitch movement.

As for the hitch mounted on the pin - that would be better for long bed trucks, where turning and hitting the cab with the bikes may not be an issue. Plus, at 74, I don't think I could lift a bike that high any more. 🙂
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I carried two adult bikes laying in the bed in front of my hitch (with quick remove front wheels off) and sometimes a 20" kids bike behind my hitch for a number of years. Then made a pin box hitch to get them out of the bed and up and out of the way. I just made a simple straight line frame and used the pin box bolts to mount it rather than drill it my air ride pin box. The rack is not touching the top of the pin box, just very close. I could carry 3 adult bikes and the smaller bike on the rack with my long bed.

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
As an avid cyclist I pondered the same thing. When we had our FW I was able to put fork mounts in the bin beneath the bedroom. It was a massive pass through and tall enough and wide enough to mount 3 bikes via forks with seat posts lowered (dropper posts helped). Out of sight and out of elements.

With our new setup I'll be using my Kuat hitch mounted rack with a zippered cover.

I'm in the same boat. I have never liked the idea of reinforcing the rear of the travel trailer bumper and using a rack because the bikes would just get hammered by road filth back there and really bounced around. I like the idea of the rack on the front of the trailer, but my preference is still always to have them inside a vehicle or trailer. I currently fit them inside the trailer wherever I can. kids smaller bikes laying down on their beds, wife's bike laying on our bed, my bike partially disassembled and wedged between a bed and wall. I often think if I had to do it all over again I would prefer the toy hauler route. just load everything into the toy hauler garage and be good.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As an avid cyclist I pondered the same thing. When we had our FW I was able to put fork mounts in the bin beneath the bedroom. It was a massive pass through and tall enough and wide enough to mount 3 bikes via forks with seat posts lowered (dropper posts helped). Out of sight and out of elements.

With our new setup I'll be using my Kuat hitch mounted rack with a zippered cover.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, that is quite the set up, raghfo.

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for the replies. Langley, when you say “bunkhouse, do you mean one of the rooms?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went with a pin box mount, which I cut then had a local welder weld up.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I carry 2 electric bikes inside my bunkhouse 5th wheel. Transporting them inside keeps bikes out of weather and eliminates security issues.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Grand Design Reflection came with a 2 inch receiver on the back. I purchased a bike rack and use that on the 5th wheel receiver. Works very well.