cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike receiver hitch on a trail air king pin

Ready2gonow
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen pix of bike racks attached to king pins, but not on a trail air king pin. Has anyone had a receiver hitch welded to Trail-air king pin? I have a 2010 Mobile Suites, and don't like the ladder carrier for bikes. I have no receiver hitch on the rear, am considering adding one, but would rather carry two or 3 bikes up front on the king pin. In front of the one ton dually is also an option. What does everyone prefer? One other question, that might determine what I do...I would love to pull a swivel wheel trailer, like an Idaho tote, to carry a motorcycle. The extra wt. really concerns me. This of course would require a rear end receiver with 2 attach points. Anyone doing this with a 36' Suites? Again, I have asked 2 questions. Thanks for any advise and pix.
6 REPLIES 6

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the Trail Aire I have a Moryde pin and I had a receiver tube welded on the box. It works great. However I am down to only 1 bike now. I am also interested in the Swivel wheel hookup for our Cameo.
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Beaker wrote:
I did not want to weld to it or drill holes in it. So I built the pin box hitch so that it mounts to the pin box bolts. It extends forward and sits just above the pin box, not touching it.

I have a fifth airborne sidewinder. Any pictures of your mount?

Don't know if it will work with the Sidewinder.
Since I had some angle iron laying around, bought a receiver at Harbor Freight, and made it myself, it cost me about $25.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I did not want to weld to it or drill holes in it. So I built the pin box hitch so that it mounts to the pin box bolts. It extends forward and sits just above the pin box, not touching it.

I have a fifth airborne sidewinder. Any pictures of your mount?
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
I made one for my 5th Airborne pin box. But it is not welded to the pin box. I did not want to weld to it or drill holes in it. So I built the pin box hitch so that it mounts to the pin box bolts. It extends forward and sits just above the pin box, not touching it. Easily carries 3 bikes and could probably carry a 4th but have not tried.
Don't see any reason you could not do something similar to make one to fit the Trailair.
After watching bikes bouncing on the back of trailers I did not want mine there. Very little movement up over the pin box.

I have An Arvika pin box bike rack that attaches as described above. It bolts on using the existing pin box bolts.
Contact Arvika. They maybe your solution
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Ready2BRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Can't really help you with the bicycle rack idea but reference the swivel wheel I do have some experience in that arena. We have a 2010 Mobile Suites 36tk3. We use the swivel wheel for our Harley. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have in regards to this arrangement. Also look forward to anyone's experience with a similar set-up.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I made one for my 5th Airborne pin box. But it is not welded to the pin box. I did not want to weld to it or drill holes in it. So I built the pin box hitch so that it mounts to the pin box bolts. It extends forward and sits just above the pin box, not touching it. Easily carries 3 bikes and could probably carry a 4th but have not tried.
Don't see any reason you could not do something similar to make one to fit the Trailair.
After watching bikes bouncing on the back of trailers I did not want mine there. Very little movement up over the pin box.