cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black water holding tank leak at 25 gals???

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
Have removed underbelly and tested several times _ had my son add water through the toilet while I watched under the rig and at about 25 gals water dripped down from the top of the tank and tank has a much higher capacity so I am sure it is not simply a matter of overfilling _ do think it may have something to do with a problem with the air vent and air is being trapped in the tank _ going to CW in a few days but thought I would see if you had any ideas 1st _ would much rather fix it myself _ thanks your input _ Bob
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel
7 REPLIES 7

beliveauj
Explorer
Explorer
They don't use a wax ring.
Jim & Jeanne fulltiming and loving it.
Buddy and Emma (Silky Terriers)
2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab "King Ranch" Power Stroke 6.0
2007 Mobile Suites 36SB3 Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
A defective "wax ring" (actually a foam-rubber seal) would present a leak INSIDE the RV, not outside underneath.
Also, as the OP mentioned, the leak starts well before the capacity of the tank is reached. The wax ring is at the top of the tank.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently in the process of replacing the black tank in my Jayco. A crack in the bottom was repaired successfully but on our last trip it leaked from the top when nearly full.
As far as I am concerned no tank should leak when full. Especially the black tank. The vent itself has nothing to do with the tank leaking but the glued on fitting for it or the toilet may be cracked. Unless they used a rubber grommet, the fittings are simply glued to the top of the tank with ABS cement. If the toilet dumps directly into the tank then I could see a bad floor seal possibly showing up as a leak. It could also be the seam around the top of the tank.
If the leak can't be located by inspecting the top of the tank in-place then it would need to come out. Not a fun job but not that difficult if there is enough access but I was surprised how much "stuff" was left even after draining. That old tank was quite heavy.

Here is a photo of the new tank and old tank. The top of the old tank is sagging and there is a water mark where the "waste" was sitting. It looked as if the toilet fitting on the tank leaked. Once I finish the installation of the new tank I plan to post it to the DIY section.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of going to CW, you might consider Quality RV on Aurora. They're about halfway between Wickham and John Rodes.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

beliveauj
Explorer
Explorer
It's the rubber seal between the toilet and the tank.Mine just did that and the icky stuff took out the circuit board on my furnace and my 12 volt converter.
Jim & Jeanne fulltiming and loving it.
Buddy and Emma (Silky Terriers)
2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab "King Ranch" Power Stroke 6.0
2007 Mobile Suites 36SB3 Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator

LVTOCMP
Explorer
Explorer
It could be that your wax ring between the toilet and tank is leaking.
Jerry

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you think the vent pipe could be part of your problem, take your garden hose up and run water down the pipe. That should clean out the vent pipe.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly