cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cedar Creek & Silverback

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Silverback just less "fancy" than the Cedar Creek?
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
18 REPLIES 18

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2009 SB has some features that the same year CC's did NOT have. IT was considered more residential.

We have had very few issues with it, replaced the China bombs after 3000 miles...CC service department has been GREAT - for the few minor things we needed taken care of when it was new.

We love our open fp. Will replace it someday, but not for awhile....I like no payments.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

silverback31b2
Explorer
Explorer
Our thoughts and experiences dovetail AZCLs, the CC is nice and takes you to the next step, but our SB is almost as nice as a CC with a better bunkhouse. Happy New Year.
2011 Silverback 31B2
2017 F350 Superduty, Crew Cab, 8' box, 4x4, 6.7 PSD, Lariat, Loaded
BD3 Trailersaver air hitch
Tire minder TPMS
Disc brakes and gas shocks

clydengail
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 SB model 29RE with the cathedral slides. Yes we do have some run off by steps in heavy downpour but it is not a big issue. I don't normally come and go in heavy downpours. We have been very pleased with the quality of our rig and only minor issues. I don't think you can beat the qualty for the price. There are always bigger and better rigs. Just depends on what you need/want and what you can afford.
TV - 2007.5 GMC Duramax 4x4 Ext Cab
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '06 SB 33LBHTS and it's been a great RV. Though we are down to 1 child VS 2 traveling w/us, it still serves the purpose. No major probs w/ it in 10 years of owning it. Both dealer and CC have been great if anything came/comes up. The SB is of same quality/materials and workmanship as CC but at a lower price due to some things not being std (sort of like a Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis). As much as we'd like to upgrade to a new RV, sadly, neither CC or SB offers nothing that triggers our fancy and though another FR RV does, price diff is making our SB look pretty good.

This is our 1st ever RV and before buying, asked a lot of questions, looked at what was at campgrounds/dealers lots, read up on mfr's. All said and done, CC/SB won out. As told to us when we were looking, find a floorplan you like, then evaluate EVERYTHING throughout the coach to see what you like/don't like. If there are several things that you don't like, don't say "We will make it work"----you won't be happy. Went to Hershy RV show and looked at upwards of 20 BH 5ers w/ notebook in hand (both wife and i had one). Wrote down likes/dislikes of each we went in, then made a spread sheet to compare 'em. Wife knew what she was looking for and so did I. CC/SB had them all. Unit sits outside next to garage in sun all summer and inside storage barn during the winter. Still looks great and no decals issues. Waxed each spring. Overall, very happy w/ the SB. FWIW, everything is still orig and working except tires (replaced as needed) and axles which CC replaced due to bent axles and I added Equi-Flex susp.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mike2Wheels - why did you buy it then? didn't you check it out first? Doesn't say a lot for your ability to distinguish cheap from quality....our 2009 has been fantastic over the years - and going strong.

One must remember most folks can't spend 70,80, 100+K for their RVs, maybe you should trade up.

For our first 5ver, we've been very satisfied. Maybe like so many other things, they just don't make them like they used to....

Mike

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I would choose the cc over the sb.:)
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't speak for the Silverback, but the Cedar Creek looks like a real bargain to me, with all the quality features they have at a very reasonable price.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Cedar Creek is a "best buy" in it's class
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

MrCrabby
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 35RL with the cathedral slides. Never noticed an issue with the rain. Its our first Forest River product, but we've gotten good customer support from them. Only minor issues since new, and they were all addressed under warranty. Even had the warranty work done at a closer dealer with not issues on approval.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2014 F350 Lariet 6.4 LWB

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Silverback 35fl. It has cathedral ceilings on 3 of the slides; the living room slide is flat. One of the bedroom slides is next to the rear door and the rain runs off onto the steps (or whoever is standing on the steps). Having lived with them now for almost 2 years I think they're a dumb idea, probably from marketing. In the Silverback line, everything is cheap, cheap, cheap.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
momanor wrote:
Does anyone here have a Silverback with the cathederal slides. We are interested in this brand but it looks to me that water will sheet off the door side slide and anyone entering or leaving will get soaked in a downpour.

Yes I have the 29IK with the cathedral slide and the rain doesn't affect anyone coming or going through the door.

However if someone came to my door during a downpour that wasnt living in the 5er with me, I'd probably let the dummy stand around in the rain anyway. But that's just me.

momanor
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here have a Silverback with the cathederal slides. We are interested in this brand but it looks to me that water will sheet off the door side slide and anyone entering or leaving will get soaked in a downpour.
2005 Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4 S/B QC SLT 48re 3:73 Pullrite 16k Superglide
2003 HR Alumascape 26RK

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really like the Silver back peaked slide outs until I noticed theY lost a lot of cupboard space with them.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I like our Silverback's basement situation better than the Cedar Creek line. We have 2 levels, which provides more horizontal storage. some of that is taken up by the spare tire...which if every needed is easier to get out than cranking down the tire which is mounted under the unit on the CCs. Our 2009 also has real blinds, which we like.

Our unit has been pretty good for us.