cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comments from the peanut gallery please!

Rhyph
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the market for a new... something? We haven't quite decided on what we want between 5th wheel or a 5th wheel toy hauler. There is a lot of appeal to us in a toy hauler for flexibility. We don't have anything implicit to haul, other than our Mini Roadster, but that's a stretch goal. More importantly we have our racing cyclocross and road bicycles, grill/smoker, maybe golf cart some day, etc.

We're definitely not new to RV ownership (~15 years), we've had 5th wheels and more recently coaches and are looking to go back to a 5th wheel type setup. We have a pretty high expectation in features/options and wants.

What's most compelling towards pushing us towards a toy hauler is the floor plans we're looking in to. There are a few manufactures with some 1.5 bath models. We like the idea because while it's usually just the two of us traveling, my mother tends to go with on occasion. We have this idea that once we get to a destination, we can offload and disperse some of the toys, and that just becomes her space (bed, bath, etc) for privacy in the evenings.

I'm looking for feedback on what I have boxed together in my mind as the 3 contenders to choose between.. I'd like to hear about owner experiences, thoughts on brand difference, things I should watch out for etc.

The 3 in consideration are (in no particular order and not even from these dealers):

Forest River - XLR Thunderbolt 415 AMP

Heartland - Road Warrior RW 415

Keystone - Raptor 415TS

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and wisdom!
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420
2014 Ram 3500 CC DRW 4x4 Longhorn
8 REPLIES 8

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
If you're planning on hauling horses, you pretty much are stuck with going the toy hauler route. Any of the three you referenced will be well suited to both your camping and livestock-hauling needs.
08 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6 sp manual
08 WW FK 2100
08 Rhino, 99 Honda TRX 400

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RW 415 and it's been great. Flexibility is certainly one of the best reasons for going the TH route. One thing to consider, the three choices you selected are BIG trailers. Having said that, I think you couldn't go wrong with any of them so pick the one that has the features you like best....then do it. Life is too short and we aren't getting any younger.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

gsitexas
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We will also be purchasing a 5th wheel within the next two years. I was considering most of the models you mentioned until I learned about the Momentum line of toy haulers from Grand Design.

Check them out very carefully, I think you will be quite impressed with the company, the product and the involvement by management to ensure a quality product.

FYI, I have no affiliation with Grand Design, I just hope to own a Momentum toy hauler in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Keith

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
I personally prefer the general decor of a toyhauler (somewhat modern) vs a 5er that looks like the designer was stuck in the 1970s.

If I was to go to a bigger trailer, it would be a 5er TH, as that "flex" room would come in handy.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
we went from a 5er to a toy hauler a couple years ago

our likes and dislikes
- cyclone has less storage then the montana 5er we had
- the rear 1/2 bath is sweat when you are all dirty from the trail
- dual fridges are awesome
- our daughter doesn't use the loft as much as we thought she would
- having the garage space to put stuff (bikes/totes/etc) is very nice
- the rear could be a 2nd living space; we don't use ours for that tho
- being able to take 4 quads along is a huge plus; but if that isn't a requirement it'd be a tough choice between a 5er & a TH
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

invstr55
Explorer
Explorer
If you have high expectations in regard to quality and options then please be aware that DRV is starting to produce TH. They are in a different price range from the options you have listed but just wanted to let you know of another option.
2015 DRV Fullhouse
2015 Breakout
2015 Spyder Limited
2015 F350hd Dually

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, the XLR and Raptor are in a close race for first. The Road Warrior is a distant third.

We had a Cyclone with a half bath in the back. After a while, we realized it was a waste of space. It had its own black tank with a separate dump valve. Draining a separate tank with the valve at the back was just added time at the Flying J. At our races, we usually just locked that door. I'd rather it had been a closet. If you have a legit reason, it makes sense. But for us, we won't get another one with a half bath.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been considering a toyhauler 5th wheel because of the flexibilty.
The garage area will haul stuff and once you get setup in a spot, the garage can be converted for a variety of uses

In the past it would have been handy to allow me to better take care of my 95 year old Dad who lived with us. The ramp would've allowed me to roll his wheelchair inside.

Currently we have the need for a craft area so my DW can do her jewelry making and scrap book making thing...

I would turn it into an entertainment center/ man cave.

All three look nice Just keep in mind the weight of the units and the size of truck you'll need to tow them safely.