cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooper Discoverer HTP LT 16" tires for my Big Horn

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
Well...I have gotten 5 years and about 30000 miles on the China Bombs on our 3055RL Big Horn. I did put the spare on last spring because one tire was looking a bit tired.

I was at Discount Tire today getting a truck tire fixed and talked with the manager about new LT tires for the Fiver. When I brought up LT vs ST tires, he told me they sell and install more LT tires on fivers than ST. We discussed the options...ranging from G114 GY's and Michelin Ribs to other brands and the above mentioned Coopers...In the end, after telling him I was not looking for cheap, he still recommended the much less expensive Cooper Discoverer HTP LT 16" tires...and he said they are made in the USA.

Has anyone had any experience with these tires? The 3042 pound rating per tire for these Coopers is easily within the confirmed loads on each axle of our Big Horn. Axle loads are under 5500 pounds per axle. The trailer will get similar miles put on it for the next 3 years so time and mileage will be well within design parameters. Any experienced opinions are welcome...not interested in a LT/ST debate

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye
70 REPLIES 70

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
I’m not seen much in here any more because of reasons beyond my control.

But, Isn’t the truth worth knowing?

FastEagle

Yes -ALL- the truth is worth knowing!.:C

What are....
the "reasons beyond your control" - why you're not - "seen much in here any more"?..:@

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Rick
I have used the Coopers on my rollback and had good results from them. I am using Goodrich Commercial t/a's on my 5er now for a couple of years and love them.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

momanor
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
I don't recollect stating that well known tire brands in China are producing a quality product.............. .

NC Hauler wrote:
The MIchelin Tire plants as well as other well known brand named plants that are now manufacturing THEIR tires in China have CHOSEN to CONTINUE to produce a QUALITY product and show their affiliation to said "named manufacturer"...,"

Did I misunderstand?:)

I think the Chinese will cheat the others
eventually. I can not understand why companys are so willing to trade their reputation to save a few dollars.
2005 Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4 S/B QC SLT 48re 3:73 Pullrite 16k Superglide
2003 HR Alumascape 26RK

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

tomden2
Explorer
Explorer
I have:
Cooper Discoverer
Radial AST
LT 245/75R16
Load Range "E"

They were on my Gulf Stream Yellowstone 5er when I bought it new in 2004. Still on (I know the time limits). I make at least 1 trip a year of over 6,000 miles, plus shorter ones. Never had a problem, and am ready to replace with the same if I don't buy a new unit. Still plenty of tread.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
I don't recollect stating that well known tire brands in China are producing a quality product.............. .

NC Hauler wrote:
The MIchelin Tire plants as well as other well known brand named plants that are now manufacturing THEIR tires in China have CHOSEN to CONTINUE to produce a QUALITY product and show their affiliation to said "named manufacturer"...,"

NO, I reckon in my diatribe on quality products that come out of China, I got carried away..As far as I know, the ONLY China manufactured tire that has connections to the United States as far as "manufacture origin" IS Goodyear, and it's well known about the defects of that tire. I should have been more specific...I've heard nothing about Quality issues with Continental or Michelin, (though Michelin is more world wide like Continental)...

so, when it comes to GY Marathon tires, the testimonies from those who have owned them as well as reports on the internet searches prove out that the Marathon manufactured in china was/is a bad product....thus the reason, as I also stated that it was being brought back to the USA to help raise the Quality standards that were lost in China.

As stated by another poster, if not on this thread, another one....The manufacturer can start out with good intentions and expecting to retain "world class" status, but once this element has left that particular manufacturing plant, it doesn't necessarily mean that those Quality practices will remain in place...because Quality manufactured products cost more and take more training for the work force...something that China seems to be sadly lacking in when it comes to their manufacturing processes...

I'm human and make mistakes or type before I think of what I'm typing...and I'll admit it..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

NC Hauler wrote:

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
As Jimnlin says ST tires were problematic even when most were made in the USA and Canada. It is more a low bid issue than where they are made. Chris

True statement...more of a try at a "bandaid fix" to manufacture a tire that would work on our TT's and 5er's...

Low bids can be made because the labor expenses to manufacture the tires are drastically cut due to cheap labor and quality is an after thought, ....remember the old saying, "Quality goes in before the name goes on"?....not so much now a day's...in some of these countries, it's more like , "damn the quality and full production ahead".......:R It's really not Rocket Science, a lot of these countries manufacturing tires in the "2000 yrs time frame", are not held to a standard that we are here in the US in the past decade...main reason, here in the United States, there is SO much Customer input into the media, internet, and Government intervention that Quality HAS to be an integral part in one's manufacturing process or your business won't survive....In China and other countries, it's all about money and IF they send bad toy's (lead), poison dog food and are importing a whole lot of other things that aren't safe and Quality is an after thought...THEY DON'T CARE.....THEY HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY, The US Government is AFRAID of China, We're AFRAID we'll make them mad:E..if we try to reel them in and tell them we're not going to import their non-quality products...not going to happen.....

Basically, one needs to use a little common sense and do some research when purchasing tires for a TT or 5th wheel...I personally will look at the manufacturers reputation of Quality and with me, will look into their background and manufacturing processes and goes as far to see what kind certifications they've achieved in their manufacturing processes, ie where does their Quality rate. My companies "motto" as I've stated numerous times is , "Quality without COMPROMISE"....that word COMPROMISE covers quite a bit when broken down into a step by step building/manufacturing process....The part of my company that I now work in is brake calipers/EPB's and believe me, if we had a recalls or failures in the field with THIS product, we would be out of business...Quality, Quality, Quality is the #1 biggest part of our manufacturing process...it should be the same with everything manufactured...sad to say, some countries aren't "held" to a higher standard than others are...IF the company in China is a Goodyear, Michelin, etc..., whatever plant and it hasnt' been SET UP from the start as it's parent company, OR, was operating just like parent plant, but start taking "short cut's" in the manufacturing process.....then Quality isn't being enforced and there isn't much we as the customer can do about it here in the United States, because China isn't held to the standard that manufacturing plants here in the US of A are held to, AND THEY ARE'NT HELD RESPONSIBLE...it's sad, but a fact that once researched is proven out, as are personal testimonies by so many not only on this site but easily found on other internet sources....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not seen much in here any more because of reasons beyond my control.

But, Isn’t the truth worth knowing?

This is a direct quote from Cooper Tires; “The replacement tire must have a maximum load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity of the original equipment tire.”

Full reference provided on request.

FastEagle

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Jimnlin says ST tires were problematic even when most were made in the USA and Canada. It is more a low bid issue than where they are made. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
The MIchelin Tire plants as well as other well known brand named plants that are now manufacturing THEIR tires in China have CHOSEN to CONTINUE to produce a QUALITY product and show their affiliation to said "named manufacturer"...,

Are you including the Goodyear Marathons? Many reports of failures of the Chinese Marathons. I have read some reports on this forum and others that Goodyear has moved the Marathon manufacturing back to the states but I haven't seen any.

Goodyear is a really big tire company with manufacturing plants around the globe. They from time to time produce Marathons in different plants depending of production slot availability. This can vary by tire size also. So because say a 15" was produced somewhere other than china does not mean other sizes are also. They only make about two runs per year of each size. Also according to Goodyear all tires are equal in quality or lack of it and it is not dependent on were it is manufactured. Chris

But,but,but-According to NC tire manufacturers producing well known tire brands in Chins are producing a quality product. I understand the world wide global economy but the fact is Goodyear did not choose to produce a quality tire in China.

NC-I agree to your follow up on the Chinese made Goodyear Marathons being a big mistake. Thanks

I don't recollect stating that well known tire brands in China are producing a quality product. I know Sailun is, I would imagine that Michelin is, but it's obvious that GY Marathon tires were not being produced in China with a high standard of Quality. The better known, well known brands that we recognize here in the United States that may move their manufacturing plants to China doesn't necessarily mean that the Quality processes will reflect those that are being held to in the USA....As I stated, it will depend on the plant, from the Manager down to the workers, and if Quality standards aren't enforced, then we see what we get from China....they don't seem to be as interested in manufacturing a quality product like in this country and also other countries that can be attested to...as seen with their pollution issues, they really don't seem to care how much pollution their manufacturing plants are creating, here in the US, it's just the opposite to an extreme.

My personal opinion is that China doesn't feel they have to "play by the rules" that more competent manufacturers play by and set higher standards of quality to make their products "world class".

If GY opens a plant in China to save money on labor and doesn't re-inforce quality standards in the manufacturing process, shame on them, evidently they don't care..or they finally saw the light and saw their reputation was being tarnished and brought the manufacturing back to the states where Quality processes will be adhered to.

Chris and I pretty much agree when it comes to these tire threads. I don't see where I disagreed with him on anything, other than stating that Sailun has attained certifications that would have me look at their product, believing they do have Quality processes integrated into their manufacturing processes.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
The MIchelin Tire plants as well as other well known brand named plants that are now manufacturing THEIR tires in China have CHOSEN to CONTINUE to produce a QUALITY product and show their affiliation to said "named manufacturer"...,

Are you including the Goodyear Marathons? Many reports of failures of the Chinese Marathons. I have read some reports on this forum and others that Goodyear has moved the Marathon manufacturing back to the states but I haven't seen any.

Goodyear is a really big tire company with manufacturing plants around the globe. They from time to time produce Marathons in different plants depending of production slot availability. This can vary by tire size also. So because say a 15" was produced somewhere other than china does not mean other sizes are also. They only make about two runs per year of each size. Also according to Goodyear all tires are equal in quality or lack of it and it is not dependent on were it is manufactured. Chris

But,but,but-According to NC tire manufacturers producing well known tire brands in Chins are producing a quality product. I understand the world wide global economy but the fact is Goodyear did not choose to produce a quality tire in China.

NC-I agree to your follow up on the Chinese made Goodyear Marathons being a big mistake. Thanks
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

True statement....if quality is lacking, or there are "flaws" in the manufacturing process of a particular tire, (ie , "problem-some", odds are under "controls" are carried out and a "process alert" put on that particular product....it won't get any better...one would "normally" put a "hold" on the product and no product would leave the plant until the problem was solved...THAT is how our plant would handle it...It is a Quality personnel, Industrial Engineers, Design Engineers, Technicians, Supervisors, down to the operators that may be involved that all come together to discuss any issue that might be at hand and
"5Y" it and tear the entire process down, step by step until a fix is found...It is a very elaborate "problem solving" team that works on a fix to the problem and the customer is also involved, (with us it would be the auto manufacturer" and we HAVE to present EVIDENCE that problem is solved and THEN it has to bear out.....

I've really simplified what all a company/plant/manufacturer like mine HAS to go through just to fix every or any issue that might arise, we do everything within our power to make sure a possible "return" NEVER leaves our plant

It SHOULD be the same with any manufacturer, but it's not....and Chris is right, it could vary from one plant to another. My company has plants all over the world and has their "hands" in quite a few things and to keep that reputation, our motto is "Quality Without Compromise" and it's back by our credentials and certifications and awards that we've not only achieved TS 16949 and ISO 14001, but have also been awarded accolades from BMW, Volvo, Ford, GM and Chrysler as one of their top suppliers and "Zero defects" manufacturers....Some companies where these higher quality standards aren't in place or enforced are those that send out defective products....So yes, one plant in the United States manufacturing a particular tire could do much better than one in China manufacturing the same product, especially if processes haven't been put in place AND ENFORCED...heck, for that matter it could happen in the USA, one plant on the west coast could be a miserable failure with a lot of issues, one on the east coast could be a World Class manufacturer (as my company is)....

Didn't mean to go on, and this probably isn't the best analysis, but having been in manufacturing for approx.. 41 years as an Apprentice, Technician, Engineer and Supervisor, I know that QUALITY is the mainstay in any manufacturing plant that wants to be a success and build a good reputation...and if you're a Tier 1 World Wide Manufacturer, you REALLY have to work at keeping a stellar reputation NO MATTER WHERE one of your plants is located...Quality should follow along with the move; from the plant manager all the way down to the person/operator that is involved in the manufacturing process.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

Goodyear Marathons had to have been a total failure in China...I do understand they are moving the manufacture of the Marathons back to the US, (if they haven't already), but the plants didn't conform to producing a good quality product and it came back and bit GY where it hurts.....Sometimes a plan works and sometimes it doesn't. Don't know how much training GY put into the training and hiring of those that ran those plant(s) in China, but Quality in a product is something that is addressed everyday in the manufacturing process.

You are correct, I couldn't include GY Marathons made in China in that list, but again, I also didn't see the ISO/TS certifications from the China GY plant(s) that I saw, and still see with the Sailun tire Manufacturing plant in China. (It's actually something you HAVE to earn, you can't buy it or "inherit" it:).
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet