cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disc brakes NOT working with GM integrated control

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
This applies to my 2008 Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500.

We had brakes upgraded to disc brakes which are EOH (Electric Over Hydraulic). The GM (General Moters) ITBC (Integrated Trailer Brake Controller) is NOT designed to work with EOC systems and ours DID NOT.

With help from members of this forum and from the NuWa Forum I found three possible solutions:

1> Bypass the ITBC with an after market controller such as the Tekonsha P2 or P3. I really did not like this idea, but knew it would work if I couldn't do anything else.

2> There is an adapter, the HBA-CAM (Hydraulic Brake Actuator-Control Adapter Module), which is designed to work with my HydraStar actuator. This costs about $85. I was certainly prepared to try this before the after market controller

3> Some very good friends on this forum and the NuWa forum suggested that I try electric brake magnets wired in ahead of the actuator which would "fool" the ITBC into sending the current that would engage the actuator. They were confident this would work for me because it was working for them.

Today, I happened upon a tire/trailer shop where the owner had just replaced brakes for a friend. We made a deal for two brake magnets for $ 5.00. I came home for lunch, wired in the magnets and my brakes and ITBC are working normally. I have just returned from a test drive with delight.

I am hoping my experience may help someone else. BTW, I understand that the more recent GM models (last few years) are now compatible with EOC systems. That would be great.
4 REPLIES 4

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I had known about the fix with the magnets. I have a 2013 3500 GMC Duramax pulling a Lifestyle with disc brakes. I had the dealer put in a prodigy controller because my IBC would not work with the disc brakes. Live and learn so they say!

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
We had this with our 2011...the simple fix is to wire two brake magnets into the pig tail of the fifth wheel...it "fools" the controller into believing you have electric brakes and will immediately send power to the disc brakes. Worked for us for 4 years. This problem was corrected in our 2015 Chevy.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Good information; thanks for the post. Fortunately, my factory brake controller does work with hydraulic/electric.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. I have heard of the magnet trick for GM owners. I owned a 2011 Duramax with integrated controller and towed a fiver equipped with disc and a Titan pump. For that set-up, I had to use the Titan T4846000 module between the wiring coming into the trailer and the pump. Worked great.
On my current 2013 Duramax with integrated controller towing a Dexter disc equipped fiver with a Dexter pump, I had to use the Hydrastar Hba-Cam. Works well in this set-up, too.
From what I understand, the 2015 and newer GM trucks do not need either of these....but can't say for sure.
I love these forums...always good info from a lot of great folks.
Safe travels.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL