cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric problems?

hoytman63
Explorer
Explorer
the last two years on one of the hottest days had air on and it kicked out the breaker on the pole. tried turning off everything that ran on electric and still kicked the breaker right at pole right away. Buddy camping by me hooked to another pole, we switched, his ran great while mine blew the breaker again, so it was not the pole. Took off shroud cover and looks brand new which it should. I brought it to the dealer and they plugged it in a 110 outlet using a regular orange extension cord and ran it on high for 3 days and found nothing. Last year it did the same thing. does anyone know what it could be and why it's kicking off the 30 amp. breaker at pole and not the 15 amp. breaker in the camper?
10 REPLIES 10

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Apples and oranges. Buddys AC the same as his ? BTU's, Hi efficiency vs standard
Lots of variables. Only a meter can confirm. Guessing is just that, a guess. Breaker, bad outlet, too much power being used creating low voltage.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
^^ Yup, Op said it was clean.

Next step is to get an amp draw reading. Need a clamp-on ammeter.

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Are you sure the electric side of the water heater was off?

Any chance you checked the voltage? Still odd for the 30 amp pedestal to trip before the 20 amp branch circuit if was as you said.

For best performance get the roof shroud off and see if the coils need cleaning.

By 'roof shroud and coils' do you mean the plastic cover over the air conditioner

and the cooling fins on it?
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I suspect the breaker is in the hot sun? If so, put something over the pedestal like a bucket or even a beach towel to get the hot sun off it. Breakers lose a percentage of their value due to the heat build up. They work on heat to begin with. I vented my breaker box inside my RV due to severe heat build up and breakers tripping in extremely hot weather. No more problems. I used to keep a vinyl peace to cover pedestals in hot areas.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to use the 50amp pigtail to your 30A. Here in the summer can be pretty tough to keep the trailer cool.
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you turned off the converter or not but it can draw some serious amp's on a 30 amp if the batteries are low or you have a bad battery.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
OP said his buddy was running just fine on his pole. The OP switched to it and had the same problem. Also said the coils looked like brand new.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
When everyone is using a lot of power in the CG, the parks voltage drops and that can cause the current to rise and trip the breaker.
So it's now your RV's problem, it's the parks - especially if it's an older under wired park.
You should monitor the incoming voltage and shut you AC off if it's too low as this will kill your AC and some other appliances.

X2
I sadly have been at several sporting event CG's and on a real hot day the CG can't take the load and their main breakers are tripping or they can't supply the power needed for everyone which in turn shuts yours off at the shore station.

We have one CG that when it is really hot they 'insist' that the big coaches use only 'one' of their ac units or they are 'outta the park'!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Are you sure the electric side of the water heater was off?

Any chance you checked the voltage? Still odd for the 30 amp pedestal to trip before the 20 amp branch circuit if was as you said.

For best performance get the roof shroud off and see if the coils need cleaning.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When everyone is using a lot of power in the CG, the parks voltage drops and that can cause the current to rise and trip the breaker.
So it's now your RV's problem, it's the parks - especially if it's an older under wired park.
You should monitor the incoming voltage and shut you AC off if it's too low as this will kill your AC and some other appliances.