cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior Stairs

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2012 Carriage Cameo F37RSQ and there are several areas of the entry steps that are compromised. I am holding them together with "band-aids". Has anyone replaced their stairs and what make and model did you use. I am leaning toward a similar type to OEM and not something that folds into the RV.

Thanks
57 REPLIES 57

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not been able to locate any "bounce" steps with the same dimensions as the OEM steps, so I guess that is out. The "GlowSteps" will fit, but the pricing is not competitive with other steps even though they are aluminum. The Morride steps will fit only if I modify my entry and cut into the base of the screen door. So, I have decided, for now, to see if I can repair the current stairs. I have purchased a 90 degree piece of metal, cut it to length of the bottom of the frame and in process of gluing and installing rivets through it and into the frame for additional support. After that is done, I will get jack stand on each side for additional support. By the way, I do not have any issues with the bounce of the first step of the OEM stairs. I am almost 78.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
mileshuff wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

They are far from my top contender ,a good set of three or four step suspended would be my next choice if the time comes .

Biggest complaint with conventional folding steps is the bounce you get when stepping on them. Many nickname them diving board steps. Entire trailer bounces.

I chose the Torklift Glowsteps. They are rock solid. No more bouncing.
I don't understand the issue with a bit of "bounce", unless you're are mobility limited. An able bodied person shouldn't have any issues with the normal fold-out steps. I'm 73 and it is simply a non-issue.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
My 5th wheel came with the MorRyd solid step. NEVER had an issue with level or being solid on the ground. And adjusting has NEVER taken more than several seconds.

MorRyd's are very good solid steps. However, many like myself who store their RV at a storage lot cannot use them. The spacing between rigs makes it impossible to fold them out without pulling the trailer out of the spot.

I went with Torklift Glowsteps as they can be extended only as far as needed.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

They are far from my top contender ,a good set of three or four step suspended would be my next choice if the time comes .

Biggest complaint with conventional folding steps is the bounce you get when stepping on them. Many nickname them diving board steps. Entire trailer bounces.

I chose the Torklift Glowsteps. They are rock solid. No more bouncing.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I got Glowsteps for 6 years and never have any problem to adjust the high or to be uneven.That the best steps you can buy.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
My 5th wheel came with the MorRyd solid step. NEVER had an issue with level or being solid on the ground. And adjusting has NEVER taken more than several seconds.

Canโ€™t compare the MorRyde to the glow step , the only thing they have in common is they contact the ground . The MorRyde are solid steps , you either raise or lower , and all the steps remain level when at the right height. Glowsteps are accordion . Iโ€™d take the MorRyde any day over the glowstep .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
joelc wrote:
The "GlowStep" so far is the top contender, but I have read that when the steps leg is adjusted they may not be level, and the latch system seems questionable. The price is another big factor to consider. The Morride step will not fit my threshold unless I do a serious modification. I am still looking, but for now I have rigged up a support under my current steps so they will be safe an won't deteriorate further.

All suspended steps do bounce or at least have the potential for bounce.
The bounce compromises the stability of the steps.
Comparing a suspended steps to a ground contact steps is apples and oranges.
Suspended is OK for many but they simply cannot provide the solid stability of a ground contact step.

I donโ€™t disagree as far as stability, sure the suspended do have some give . Mine had very little , Iโ€™m sure there are others that are flimsy, mine were not .

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Well said, Lantley.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cummins2014 wrote:
joelc wrote:
The "GlowStep" so far is the top contender, but I have read that when the steps leg is adjusted they may not be level, and the latch system seems questionable. The price is another big factor to consider. The Morride step will not fit my threshold unless I do a serious modification. I am still looking, but for now I have rigged up a support under my current steps so they will be safe an won't deteriorate further.

All suspended steps do bounce or at least have the potential for bounce.
The bounce compromises the stability of the steps.
Comparing a suspended steps to a ground contact steps is apples and oranges.
Suspended is OK for many but they simply cannot provide the solid stability of a ground contact step.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
joelc wrote:
....The "GlowStep" so far is the top contender, but I have read that when the steps leg is adjusted they may not be level, and the latch system seems questionable...

I don't know where you read all this but I don't believe it. Having had Glowsteps for 6 years, I can assure you it is not correct.
There are 3 adjustments for the height of the top of the steps and 5 adjustments on the bottom of the legs. This allows for getting the steps level regardless of the slope of the terrain. And the latch mechanism is solid. Once latched and pinned, there is no way for it to come out. They are rock steady when deployed given the supports at the top and the ground at the bottom.
The Glowstep is still my first choice for steps!

You can read my previous post on glowsteps . Yes there is nothing I can do to get "ALL" four of my steps level. I'll repeat again ,went as far as talking on the phone with a rep. Changed the adjustment legs to the longer ones , gave them my measurements etc etc etc .Does not matter what adjustment I do , I try all three adjustments ,adjust the legs, but I do not get all four completely level ,believe it or not ,but it's a fact . I have tried everything . It is what it is .

As far as the latch system ,yes its solid . If you forget to pin it ,it falls just slightly ,and will scare you to death ,but won't cause an issue I guess unless someone panics .

The glow steps are far from my first choice , I spent 12 years with a three step set up that was suspended , solid , no need to adjust ,always level , NEVER an issues .

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
joelc wrote:
....The "GlowStep" so far is the top contender, but I have read that when the steps leg is adjusted they may not be level, and the latch system seems questionable...

I don't know where you read all this but I don't believe it. Having had Glowsteps for 6 years, I can assure you it is not correct.
There are 3 adjustments for the height of the top of the steps and 5 adjustments on the bottom of the legs. This allows for getting the steps level regardless of the slope of the terrain. And the latch mechanism is solid. Once latched and pinned, there is no way for it to come out. They are rock steady when deployed given the supports at the top and the ground at the bottom.
The Glowstep is still my first choice for steps!
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another GlowStep satisfied customer here. Hands down the best mod I have done to our 5er. Couldn't have been easier to install, 4 bolts and done. I have had both knees replaced and going from a 3 step to a 4 step made all the difference in the world to me. Good luck.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.