cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior Stairs

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2012 Carriage Cameo F37RSQ and there are several areas of the entry steps that are compromised. I am holding them together with "band-aids". Has anyone replaced their stairs and what make and model did you use. I am leaning toward a similar type to OEM and not something that folds into the RV.

Thanks
57 REPLIES 57

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to thank everyone for helping me out. You gave me a lot of good information, and now I have to do my "home work" comparing products and checking fit to my 5er. Temporarily, I put a 6x2 under each frame to keep the weight off the frame so it won't slip further, until I come up with a stair that will work for the RV and my budget. Again, Thanks All!

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that Morryde will work before you decide on the steps that fold into the camper door. The steps fold out over the door threshold. Some doors are tight fitting on the bottom at the threshold and do not have room to close after the steps are installed. I installed them in 2008 Cardinal and had to modify the door by cutting it and the screen door off. Not an easy task.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
Durb: Thanks for getting back on track and answering my original question. Yes, the OEM is Old Hickory. I had the same problem, and I applied rivets to the cross piece. Now, the metal sides are splitting. I am currently looking into Flexo, Alumi tread and Moreride. I have not been able to find another Old Hickory. Do you know the model or Glowsteps or Torquelift that will fit? I don't want to go Lippert. I don't think their quality it up there. Even though, the Moreride look good, I don't want to do any modifications to the inside of the RV to make them fit. Thanks again for keeping to the subject.

As mentioned, I bought mine used. The width was exactly the same as the Old Hickory and the mounting holes aligned perfectly with the Glowsteps. I was lucky with the 4 step model as it is perfect for me. The only difficulty I had was Carriage wrapped the skirting around to the frame which made the mounting nuts difficult to access.

I live where it rains a lot and I felt the tread surface would be more slippery than the Old Hickory. I applied some after market grip tape and feel very secure with the steps. The Glowsteps are a quality product; one can see the reason for their cost. They can also be locked in the stored position as a security measure.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelc wrote:
Durb: Thanks for getting back on track and answering my original question. Yes, the OEM is Old Hickory. I had the same problem, and I applied rivets to the cross piece. Now, the metal sides are splitting. I am currently looking into Flexo, Alumi tread and Moreride. I have not been able to find another Old Hickory. Do you know the model or Glowsteps or Torquelift that will fit? I don't want to go Lippert. I don't think their quality it up there. Even though, the Moreride look good, I don't want to do any modifications to the inside of the RV to make them fit. Thanks again for keeping to the subject.

Have you looked into the HD steps like mine? Looks like the 4 step are out of stock.

rvautoparts.com 1224-7 ALUM BOXED Elkhart Tool and Die Entry Step 3 Manual Folding $266.28

Mine are 1424 Aluminum Boxed at $388 but are out of stock.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
I have a 2008 Carriage that came with old Hickory steps; I believe that was the name. Two top rivets failed making them unusable each time it happened. A dollar and fifteen minutes later a shoulder bolt and a nylock from the local hardware store made them better than new.

Since, I got a good deal on Glowsteps when my friend upgraded his Imagine to a Solitude. I liked the OEM steps for convenience, but the Torquelifts have an extra step and are more stable. I'm happy with the Glowsteps but wouldn't drop full retail for them.

YES, Glow Steps would be my choice "IF" my steps were like a diving board.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Only place to pull in has a one foot high curb a couple feet from the RV, what do you do? Stair treads out of level.

Me I just don't fold down last step.

WOW!! I have been EXTREMELY lucky - I have never had to park next to a one FOOT high curb. Come to think about it, I have NEVER seen a one foot high curb.
Now you're making stuff up just to justify the folding steps.
Like I said, there are pros and cons to both. Why can't you leave it at that???
It doesn't take a one foot high curb to confound the steps. I have had to move my trailer because the uneven ground was too close to the trailer where the steps came down and wouldn't allow them to deploy. I had to move the trailer because of the steps!! If I had dropped the trailer, and unhooked the truck, and then found out the steps wouldn't work I'd have been really, really PO'ed. If you RV long enough and don't always stay on concrete slabs, you will eventually find yourself moving your trailer because your steps won't work.

REAL world experience right there folks!!!!!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cptnvideo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Only place to pull in has a one foot high curb a couple feet from the RV, what do you do? Stair treads out of level.

WOW!! I have been EXTREMELY lucky - I have never had to park next to a one FOOT high curb. Come to think about it, I have NEVER seen a one foot high curb.

Not making it up, I have seen photographic evidence.

WHY are you so defensive???

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Not bashing just being honest. IMO the solid steps have no advantages. ๐Ÿ™‚

100% agree! No Bueno Solid steps in my opinion. GlowSteps offered me a free set if I would evaluate them but I kindly declined as I am more than happy with these simple, solid and trouble free.

The extra step was not really needed. It is handy if needed.

People only know the CHEAP flimsy steps so the THINK standard are no good. These are VERY solid with no compromise.

I agree 100% , I have the Glowsteps , prior to that had the fold out suspended three step design ,never an issue . Never needed to adjust , they were solid . These Glowsteps IMO are a pain , they always require adjustment ,they never seem to be entirely level ,have talked to Glowsteps about the problems ,they even sent me some longer adjustment legs, but still are not that level . If I level to get the bottom two steps level ,then the upper two are not ,and the other way around .

I would not recommend them unless they were more or less able to be leveled on certain fifth wheels . I could add a step ,talked to Glowsteps about that ,gave them all the measurements etc , and they advised against it , reason they sent me a free set of longer adjustment legs ,unfortunately they didn't help . The height of my fifth wheel just doesn't work with the four step design of the Glowsteps .

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Our daughter has the solid LCI steps that fold to the inside of the trailer. The one thing she does not like is fact that you have to clean off the steps before you fold them as they dump all the debris into the trailer. The other problem is if you are parked in storage with another RV close, you cannot fold down the stairs to access you trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Aluma tread would be my choice of the three, but not sure about comparable prices. I know the Glowsteps are expensive, but not sure about the Aluma steps.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Carriage that came with old Hickory steps; I believe that was the name. Two top rivets failed making them unusable each time it happened. A dollar and fifteen minutes later a shoulder bolt and a nylock from the local hardware store made them better than new.

Since, I got a good deal on Glowsteps when my friend upgraded his Imagine to a Solitude. I liked the OEM steps for convenience, but the Torquelifts have an extra step and are more stable. I'm happy with the Glowsteps but wouldn't drop full retail for them.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cptnvideo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

It doesn't take a one foot high curb to confound the steps. I have had to move my trailer because the uneven ground was too close to the trailer where the steps came down and wouldn't allow them to deploy. I had to move the trailer because of the steps!! If I had dropped the trailer, and unhooked the truck, and then found out the steps wouldn't work I'd have been really, really PO'ed. If you RV long enough and don't always stay on concrete slabs, you will eventually find yourself moving your trailer because your steps won't work.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Everyone has to have the latest and greatest without considering the disadvantages. If they had installed quality steps on these RV's we would not have the fold down plain and simple.