cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 and Reflection 150 series?

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
First let me say I am totally aware of the “concerns” of pulling a 5er with a 1/2 ton pickup ..... BUT I have a wonderful 2016 F150 Lariat and am tired of dealing with the stress of travel trailer sway on longer trips, even after trying 4 different WDHs professionally installed!
Because my F150 MaxTow 4WD is paid for and us having just returned from a 2,000 mile Florida trip pulling our 32’ TT, I am seriously considering the GD Reflection 150-series 260RD with its low pin weight and short length to stay well within my F150’s payload capacity. My question is: has anyone else with a newer F150 made this same move from a TT to a small 5er and has it completely solved the sway issue with crosswinds and traffic? We’ve traveled with our combination for the last 16 months and had just upgraded the tires to “XL” (extra-load) rated to reduce sway/tail-waggle, but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference. We encountered 20-30mph crosswinds during this trip on Interstates and it was exhausting, reducing the enjoyment of the 12-day vacation.
My wife & I are semi-retired and love to camp for a couple of weeks at a time and, even though we LOVE our 2019 32’ TT, I am done with the stress of the amount of sway with this combination (knowing an F250 would likely cure that, but trading isn’t an option, and I don’t believe the Hensley would eliminate it with the F150), so we are considering a light 5er like the Reflection 150 series, especially with it being only 6” taller than our current TT.
2015 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
2019 Heartland North Trail 27RBDS UltraLite Caliber Edition (previous)
2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB (previous)
2012 Jayco Swift 154BH (previous)
28 REPLIES 28

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Partsbob wrote:
As far as tire pressure in the TV, I run 45# cold in all 4 to allow for the added load. We’ve decided to bite-the-bullet and have ordered the Hensley Hitch in hopes it will do what we need to be comfortable towing our 32’ TT, since it does come with a 60 day money back guarantee.
Thanks again to all!
Welcome to the Hensley fold! Hensley will be sending me and Barney our commission check soon . . . (just kidding!) 😉

A funny story - I spent maybe a year on this forum (about 17 years ago) going back-n-forth with many about the Hensley and whether it would work with my V8 4Runner to pull a 25' ultralight. In the discussion process there were some great people who among their numbers were many who owned Hensleys and also some pretty smart engineering types. We even got a real Hensley aficionado into the conversation named Andy (worked for a Canadian RV dealership), who was somewhat famous for hooking up a small Dodge car to a big trailer, to demonstrate how well the Hensley worked. There were also many nay-sayers in the conversation, which got quite lively.

So there were those all over the spectrum (such as some who said, "Let me know when you're towing with this setup so I can be in another state!"), but it really served to hash-out all the issues well.

Another forum member who had a Hensely was getting a 5th wheel, because his wife was into horses, and was selling his trailer and Hensley. Turned out the guy was local to me in the Phoenix area, so I bought it from him. So I had the hitch sitting in my garage even before getting my own trailer (which is in my sig).! I would take people out into the garage and proudly show them the hitch that would make it all possible. Of course, most of them didn't know much about towing and had not idea what the hitch was about! In fact, I'm sure some of them thought I was a little nuts for buying this hunk of used metal for almost $1500 (which was a good deal considering what they were going for new) when I didn't even have the trailer yet!

But we've never looked back or regretted the decision and my wife was fully onboard after experience the tail-wagging-the-do with a rental trail. She thinks it's one of the best investments we've made.

So happy trailering to you - I don't think you will ever regret your decision!
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
As far as tire pressure in the TV, I run 45# cold in all 4 to allow for the added load. We’ve decided to bite-the-bullet and have ordered the Hensley Hitch in hopes it will do what we need to be comfortable towing our 32’ TT, since it does come with a 60 day money back guarantee.
Thanks again to all!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see this mentioned but some rv trailer owners don't increase the rear P tires pressure on the truck to max psi (44 or 51 psi) when towing/carrying a load. They use what the door post tire placard tells them which is generally around 35 psi. Granted there is no load capacity gain above 35 psi on a P tire in a truck or trailer application but going to max psi stiffens the sidewalls and helps eliminating sway issues. Just a thought.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the added info, I’ve already spoken to Terry at Hensley and making a decision tonight, but it does sound very promising in solving our issue with sway.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
I've not towed a 5th wheel like Barney, so I can't speak to that, but I can't speak highly enough about the Hensley. The story of how we got it was we rented a trailer before buying and the rental place had a weight distributing hitch on it, but we experienced severe tail-wagging-the-dog. My DW said to do whatever it took to never have that again. I already knew about the Hensley from being on here and immediately began looking for one, in which I "lucked-out" and managed to buy mine used from someone locally for about half a new one (I'm actually the 3rd owner).

And the Hensley is low maintenance too. In 16 years I've popped the bearing caps off to inspect on three occasions. The initial time, the previous owner had left it sitting outside (on the ground?) and I found that some water had migrated in. I replaced the bearings and then inspected it a couple times since and change the grease, but everything looked good both times after the initial.

Oh, they also recommend shooting some grease into it every thousand miles, through the two zerks. Easy peasy!
Hensley Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having towed both 5th wheels and regular travel trailers, the last 15 years or so with a Hensley hitch, I believe the TT/Hensley combo tows better than the 5th wheel. There is no chucking or excess movement of any kind either left, right, up, or down and the whole thing is much lower to the ground so it seems to track better with less effect from side winds. Once you tow with the Hensley, you will not believe how comfortable a tow can be.

The combo must be set up correctly (the owners manual is clear on how to do it) and the trucks brake controller set to have the trailer lead the truck slightly when braking. If the above are done, the whole towing experience will be a pleasure. The manufacture of the hitch is very helpful if necessary and there are tons of owners of the hitch that can help you set it up if you need the help. There is also a Facebook group about the hitch.

I found it very easy to both install and adjust the hitch and did it 5 times, including both of my sons trailers.
I have no reservation at all in recommending the Hensley hitch to anyone. It does exactly what they advertise. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
towing with a Hensley/PP it feels very similar to towing a fifth wheel - i had a PP setup on my 33ft wildwood with my previous F250 and it towed excellent, world of difference from the Reese dual cam i started out with.

I would recommend that to anyone with a longer TT or a shorter wheelbase TV.

When i moved on to a Fiver, i gave the setup to my father to use with his then 2010 Tundra and 2011 KZ 32ft TT and he enjoyed that setup for three summers.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS, I’m going to take your advice and look deeper into the Hensley/ProPride option, after spending the last 3 hours looking at Reviews and YouTubes of people who have gone to that hitch for exactly the same reason we were considering moving to a 5er, since we truly enjoy the TT we own.
Thanks to all you 5er owners who stepped up to help a TT owner work towards the right solution when I cold have posted this in the TT Forum instead!!

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
.The 20% tongue weight is basically why a fifth wheel tows so well. No reason you can't have 15% or 20% tongue weight on a travel trailer.

The big difference on the 5th wheel trailer and a bumper pull, it the pin weight is over the rear axle. The travel trailer, has the pin weight 3 or 4 feet behind the ear axle of the truck. Any side movement on the trailer now has a nice long lever arm to move the rear end of the truck. Increasing tongue weight on the travel trailer will make it more stable, but then you have to make sure you are not over the trucks rear axle rating.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info & suggestions! As far as weight check: not yet, just never the right time while traveling and no scales near home. However, I based the 750# tongue weight figure based on dry specs plus a very heavy foam mattress and a fully packed front storage, as well as carrying 15 gallons of fresh. Of our (4) 40 gallon tanks, only the fresh is totally in front of the axles and why we always dump the others before leaving campsites. We do have a tote as well.
Regarding the Hensley, it would be such a huge risk because of the cost to our budget, only to find it didn’t correct the issue with no recourse. If there was a guarantee it would solve it, then less risk. BTW, the GVRW of our TT is 7400# and we can’t be close to that.
Yes, we would really like a 5er, but we also really love this TT’s layout and size, plus we got a really good deal on it.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Partsbob wrote:
Snip... and I don’t believe the Hensley would eliminate it with the F150),snip...

I don't know why you believe that unless you have owned one and used it. Believe me, the Hensley would solve your sway problem. 🙂 Seems to me you are going to throw a whole lot of money at a new 5th wheel trailer to solve a problem that the Hensley would solve very easily - for a fraction of the cost.

If you REALLY want a 5th wheel then disregard my message above.:B
Barney
Hafta agree with Barney here! I have the setup in my signature going on 16 years, have towed it over the highest, windiest mountain passes numerous times . . . even with the wife driving it! As you can see, my tow vehicle has a very short wheelbase and is a mid-size SUV, but there is absolutely zero tail wagging the dog.
Hensley Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Partsbob wrote:
Snip... and I don’t believe the Hensley would eliminate it with the F150),snip...

I don't know why you believe that unless you have owned one and used it. Believe me, the Hensley would solve your sway problem. 🙂 Seems to me you are going to throw a whole lot of money at a new 5th wheel trailer to solve a problem that the Hensley would solve very easily - for a fraction of the cost.

If you REALLY want a 5th wheel then disregard my message above.:B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you have one or more tanks forward of the axles, as a test try filling them completely and have the the other tanks empty. That may increase the tongue weight to an amount that will work. Yes, it might be too much weight for your truck but you already know that more truck is needed for any of the trailers you want to pull.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried increasing your tongue weight? For myself, I would try increasing the tongue weight before I spent a bunch of money on anything else. The 20% tongue weight is basically why a fifth wheel tows so well. No reason you can't have 15% or 20% tongue weight on a travel trailer.