cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite Brand of 5th Wheel Toyhauler.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the title says. We just sold our 2010 Fuzion 383 because the Spyder and the motorcycle won't fit.

Now we're looking for toyhaulers with separate garages. We have no need for the second bathroom and outdoor kitchen and television. We're leaning toward 38-39 feet, definitely not over 40 feet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and the reasons you like that particular brand and/or model. We are looking for ones a couple years old, but not over 3 years old. New if the price is right, but actually prefer to let someone else fix the bugs.

So let me have 'em...please.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"
23 REPLIES 23

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
if you order a GD 351m new then order it with the upgraded 8k lb axles, they come with disc brakes and add to the ccc. i do not believe genesis offers any with separate garages anymore but not sure. attitude by eclipse used to as well. there is always a custom toyhauler builder in mesa arizona named dune sport.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
After much looking, we have moved the Grand Design Momentum 351M to the short, short list. It has most everything we want, with an 11 foot garage. But they don't make it easy, the same model number has a bunch of different lengths. Hard to know what to believe. About the only thing I don't like is the stupid second bathroom, I'd much rather have the room for storage off the kitchen/living room. It seems to tick all the boxes though.

So many out there are very nice but have no access to the bathroom and/or bedroom with the slides in. That's not a complete deal breaker, but it is an added con.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So far, Heartland Torque is my favorite brand...and only brand.
It's a basically new 4 year old unit that to date, I've towed once cross state and driveway camped in the heat wave and some friends stayed in it.
Impressions so far.
Towed high n tight like it was on rails, even 80 mph and into typical eastern WA headwind/crosswind with zero issues or bad behavior. No wdh or sway control. (not a 5ver, but speaks to the quality from a component standpoint) Axles are overbuilt and sturdy, greaseable shackles, and shocks and some fancy bump stop things on the wishbones between the axles and all the lights and brakes work as they should.
Couple minor issues that were more like a new "warranty" type thing or in-attentive previous owner thing.
Converter is a WFCO all in one unit. Not impressed by that cheap component, but it works I suppose.
Everything else works as designed except the awning motor is a weak pos.
They cheaped out on the stove, it has no ignitor....Not sure I even understand that... but it came with a new bbq lighter so bonus I suppose!

My only real quality complaint is the wallpaper backed stuff on the ceiling is stretching or pulling away at several of the joints. Typical of other campers but looks like ____.

Right now I have no reason to believe that it's not a good quality camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input. We're looking, but we realistically are figuring to buy this fall. Always glad to have new brands to look at. I've not heard of the Genesis Supreme line, but will be sure to check them out.

That's one thing to love about the internet: the ability to see tons of models without leaving home. ๐Ÿ™‚ But nothing really beats seeing something in person. I have noticed that 36' models usually have about the same living space as the 38' models because that 2' goes onto the garage. And sometimes they add in the extra bathroom, so you actually lose real living space. And outside storage is kind of skimpy in some of these bigger models.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Y-Guy
Right now with the backlog of RV orders I'd take my time. IMHO quality goes down faster when there is pressure to produce higher quantity. You've been very active here so you know the drill.

I do think the GD quality has dropped some, I say that just based on the feedback on here and other owners. Though probably not big enough for your needs check out the Northwood Desert Fox and the Outdoor RV line (both are part of the Nash family), I'd also spend some time looking deeper at Genesis Supreme line too. Personally I've heard to many horror stories about FR to feel good about them, but that's just me. KZ has always seemed to be more of a regional brand, once Thor bought them I expected to see that change, but it still hasn't Both KZ & Jayco still maintain their 2+ year warranty, while GD dropped theirs.

You know this too, but a good dealer can make or break you. Right now on so many groups I'm hearing about massive warranty work backlog and challenge of getting parts.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, we haven't seen much of the KZ line, not sure why. We see a lot of Dutchman, Fuzion, and Forest River. Having owned a Fuzion for 10 years, I'm aware of the shortcomings there, but I was thinking Forest River was a good brand, but I may be confused.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I would go ATC if I could afford one!

From my touring of the Momentum line not owning one, just looking close at them I wasn't impressed. I rather have a KZ Venom toy hauler. But these rigs are getting even more flimsy these days. I really don't like the flimsy feal of the Grand Design units. I've owned a 44' long KZ New Vision toy hauler with triple 7K axles and it held up good. But that was years ago. Things may have changed since then, but the walk through gave me a better impression on the newer KZ units. I was looking at the Sporster line, I'm not in the Venom price range!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered an ATC, but I have read good things about them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My next door neighbor just bought a GD Momentum and it's very impressive. Seems well put together and they bought it used but not more than about 5 years old? I can't remember the model year. It's around 35-36' but has a shorter garage. I definitely like the interior height inside but that thing is tall and that could cause some clearance problems in some less developed areas.

I'd like an ATC, though. Those things are just built super well. Utilitarian but nice. I'm a big fan of the all aluminum exterior and roof. I know they make TT and GN style models but I'm not sure if the latter come as short as you are wanting. I think an ATC is a trailer you can buy and maintain and it'll last indefinitely, which is not the case with most other styles.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB