cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding usable camp sites

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm currently pulling a 34' fifth wheel and really don't worry about finding a site that will work. With that said, in the future I need to switch to a trailer that is more handicapped friendly for my DW. Looking at getting a TT toy hauler, probably 34' box, overall 38'. So in order to use the ramp for a wheelchair I need a reasonably level site that is 50' long. My question is how difficult is it to find such sites? Especially in federal and state parks? In commercial CGs I guess I will be limited to pull thru sites and maybe needed longer power/sewer lines. All inputs appreciated.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos
20 REPLIES 20

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is 38' and our TV is a long bed dually and yes, we're limited, especially if we want enough room behind to bring down the ramp. This is our first summer with it, but we've still managed to find spots in county/state parks to accommodate us though. However, they aren't the spots we want sometimes. Like we spent the weekend 2 weekends ago at Flatiron Reservoir, and all the lovely waterfront spots were too short despite being pull throughs. The site we had was nice enough but the "view" was of the road beyond the campsite.

We haven't tried federal as most of those around here are way up in the mountains and the hubs isn't comfortable enough yet to drive up windy mountain passes.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be limited in your choices of sites. With a 38' trailer and full-size pickup, you will be 58-60' total.

In your shoes, I would look for a shorter trailer, unless you are willing to accept limited choices of sites.

Some sites you will have enough length for the trailer, and then can un-hook and park the truck beside the trailer, or angled in.

IMHO your biggest issue is going to be bathroom accessibility, if your wife is using a walker or wheelchair. Most RV bathroom doors are too narrow for either one. So take a hard look at the bathroom layout.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am, almost, full time staying exclusively in state, county and municipal parks. I don't remember the last time I had a site that my long bed, crew cab TV and 30' FW didn't fit. That's about 52' total.
Larry

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Double check with Google maps, you can zoom in from above and some parks you can actually walk down the CG roads. (Doesn't work on tablets or mobile devices)

Works in Watkins Glen State Park, NY

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at a lift for your current rig?
google RV handicap lifts and you will find quite a few options.
www.coachlift.com/rv-lift/

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
In these scenarios, I suppose you will eventually figure out what to bring along with you to cover the bases the best you can... Obviously all sites will be alittle bit different...

I saw a RV one time that had a power lift platform for a wheel chair...

I am always sitting at our local WALMART Parking lot driving MS DAISEY for grocery shopping and I see alot of handicapped folks coming and going. Most of them are carrying a folded-up wheel chair and they get it out of the back of their van's and car's and get it setup then the handicapped person gets out of the car and gets in it...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS