cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frameless window blows off in transit

bapple
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Keystone Avalanche 300RE. While in transit we lost one of our emergency exit windows. We have contacted Keystone and they don't think it is a warranty issue. Has anyone else lost one of these windows?
35 REPLIES 35

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
That's what the one in our bedroom looks like.

x2

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, longer arm.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

Longer arm but I suspect for a bigger window.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This IMHO is the best latching system for an escape window. Have this in rear of living area and bedroom. This window won't pop out UNLESS I forget to close it!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
Trying to undertand why you would ever open the emergency hatch windowin the first place. They are intended to be opened in an "emergency" I've never had mine open!

I have two of them. One down in the living area and the other is up in the bedroom on the street side. To get a cross breeze in the bedroom we have to open it.
The one in the living area is large enough to be a slider. The one up in the bedroom is small and if you had 1/2 as a slider then you couldn't squeeze out of it.
The window in our bedroom is an emergency hatch window, but it is also a crank open window, so yeah, we open that thing all the time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Trying to undertand why you would ever open the emergency hatch windowin the first place. They are intended to be opened in an "emergency" I've never had mine open!

I have two of them. One down in the living area and the other is up in the bedroom on the street side. To get a cross breeze in the bedroom we have to open it.
The one in the living area is large enough to be a slider. The one up in the bedroom is small and if you had 1/2 as a slider then you couldn't squeeze out of it.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the post. That was something I had never thought about. I'll check mine out every once in a while now.
Moose

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
I had no idea those safety exit windows blew out so often...

Who the hell wants to admit to FUBARing simply latching a window? :B I =thought= I'd latched mine properly, but I saw it swinging and was able to get stopped before I lost it.

Lyle

I had a problem with the window on my last wilderness. was the bed room one. Did it least twice. never before or after on other RV's. I had to resort to putting a home made fix on the latching mechanism.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jim@HiTek wrote:

Who the hell wants to admit to FUBARing simply latching a window? :B I =thought= I'd latched mine properly, but I saw it swinging and was able to get stopped before I lost it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
bapple wrote:
We have a 2017 Keystone Avalanche 300RE. While in transit we lost one of our emergency exit windows. We have contacted Keystone and they don't think it is a warranty issue. Has anyone else lost one of these windows?
You might try Trekwood for the window if you get no satisfaction from the builder/dealer. They show about $300 for the window though.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Snip...
I did find somebody on EBay in MI who had a selection of Kinro windows. Not mine unfortunately. Did not bookmark their site but the location is Adrian, MI & I recall that Adrian is in the name of the business. Do recall seeing some frameless windows listed as well.

Good luck.

Me, I am going to try & order one through a boatyard where I do my annual trailer refit every April. Change it myself.

That could very well have been Bontragers RV Surplus located in White Pigeon, MI. They are a very large surplus company and probably would have the window you are looking for. I have been there many times and am always amazed at the inventory of parts they have. Located somewhat near Adrian and also near Elkhart, where most RV's are made.
Barney

Thankyou. My kind of place.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995