cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tank filling by itself

bobsbbq
Explorer
Explorer
We recently upgraded to a new to us 2002 Sunny Brook Mobile scout. I emptied the fresh water tank about 1 week ago using the pump. Today I noticed water coming out the overflow on the fresh water fill compartment. We stay on city water all the time, I have a 40 psi regulator as we'll. the only thing I can imagine is the water is back flowing through the pump in to the fresh tank, and slowly. I would have thought there would be a one way valve to prevent this? Has anyone had a similar issue? I do have a valve next to the pump I can shut off, but I would have to remember to open it every time or you can burn the pump up.
5th Wheel 2002 Sunny Brook Mobile Scout 31BWFS
8 REPLIES 8

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
Check your weater valve positions,I had the same thing happen this spring.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would contact ShurFlow. They may send you a new pump.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, check valve in pump is leaking. Just went through this. Go to Camping World and buy 1/2" check valve. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the flexible 1/2" to 1/2" flexible line. Unscrew the 1/2" connection from the pump outlet and screw on one end of the flexible line, screw the other end of the flexible line to the check valve (with arrow pointing away from the pump) then screw the line that you took off of the pump to the other end of the check valve. Confusing? This will work.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a tank fill valve on your city water?
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Valve next to pump...........?
Typically there are no shut off valves for the pump. Water Heater yes..pump no.
And pump can run dry without harm..they are diaphragm pumps and only move about 1/8"

You probably have a Shurflo Classic (model 2008) as it is the one mostly used by OEM. That pump has been phased out.....parts still available (Check valve 94-237-00..about $12)

You could also just install a 1/2" in-line check valve in pump suction or discharge line. Shurflo has one......#340-001
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
Check valve in the water pump. If it's an older pump, replace it. If not, replace the check valve.....most RV parts store keep them in stock. Valve about $10. Easy repair.
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

bobsbbq
Explorer
Explorer
This was one of the things I looked for, but did not find any plumbing to support this mod. The other thing is if there was a mod to fill from city it would fill the tank in 15-20 min max. Not a week. Thanks for the suggestion, maybe it is just a bad pump.
5th Wheel 2002 Sunny Brook Mobile Scout 31BWFS

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
Water should not back feed thru the pump. This is likely your problem. You could rebuild the pump head or just get a new pump. OR the previous owner may have created a system to fill the water tank from the city water lines. This is a popular mod. See if your unit has the valving that would allow water to come from the city lines into the fresh water tank, bypassing the water pump.