cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front Storage Bay Weight Limitations

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea how much weight the front storage area under the overhang where the spare tire is kept can hold? My Forest River 5th wheel has a thin metal floor. It doesn't seem like much weight can be in there without some extra bracing. I'd like to install my four lifeline 6V batteries in there if I can but each battery weighs 90Lbs. Can that area hold 360Lbs.?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
6 REPLIES 6

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Go to home depot or any hardware store and get a piece of angle iron and run it frame beam to beam c channel or I beam that they use for a frame and drill a 5/16" or 3/8" hole for the bolts your using..a 1.25 x 1.25 size angle iron should be more than enough to hold you battery boxes and some, Plus if the floor of the front is to thin put down a 1/2" plywood..
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a CYA from the MFG.

Throw some 1/2" ply down and set your battery boxes on it. Your pin should be able to handle 20%+/- of the 5er's GVWR. Sounds like the only reason they are telling you a light weight is because of the thin metal. Beef up where the batteries go and I would think you'd be fine.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
I contacted Forest River about the weight limits on my 5th wheel front storage compartment. They said 75-100 pounds. I guess if I had a 2nd battery in the empty plastic battery box that's installed in there, I could safely add an additional couple of boxes of tissues. I guess I'll be investing in a couple of pieces of angle iron to span the width and rest them on the I-beam frame before putting in batteries or anything else for that matter.

That's pathetic, IMO. Just one more cheap-out by a mfr. :M

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Forest River about the weight limits on my 5th wheel front storage compartment. They said 75-100 pounds. I guess if I had a 2nd battery in the empty plastic battery box that's installed in there, I could safely add an additional couple of boxes of tissues. I guess I'll be investing in a couple of pieces of angle iron to span the width and rest them on the I-beam frame before putting in batteries or anything else for that matter.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
That area is designed for a generator.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

My area has about 1/8โ€ steel deck there... I have an Onan 6500 AND 2 Lifeline Grp 31 AGMโ€™s there
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet