cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fueling up at a truck stop

jimmac28
Explorer
Explorer
I need some help on fueling up my new to me diesel at a truck stop. I’m taking a trip from Chicago to Nashville, so this will be the first time I’ll have to stop on the road with the trailer.

I know with the fifth wheel its better just to go through the truck fuel racks, but how does the pay part work and is there anything that I have to be aware of?
2014.5 DRV Tradition 385RSS
2013 Ford F350 Diesel DRW
57 REPLIES 57

jimmac28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice, this thread has sticky written all over it. 🙂
2014.5 DRV Tradition 385RSS
2013 Ford F350 Diesel DRW

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, I have a 5 gallon diesel can that I use for my Kubota tractor. When going out of state, I put it in the bed full just in case.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
avvidclif1 wrote:
laknox wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
I try to make all my stops at Wally World where they have diesel. Not only is it cheaper than the freeway truck stops but I use their credit card which gets anywhere from 5-15 cents off/gal. That adds up in a hurry. We ran 3700 mi last month on a trip and several times the difference in truck stop and Walmart was 30-35 cents/gal.

I will admit they don't want big rigs at their pumps and designed them that way but by being creative I've managed to get in everywhere I wanted to without unhooking.

Wally World has an app for their store and you can specify w/fuel pumps. Gas Buddy works real well also. I also use Gas Buddy to see which side of the state line to fill up on. Missouri diesel is 40 cents/gal cheaper than Illinois for example, same brand station just on different sides of the Mississippi.

I usually drop off the DW at the door of the store to get any needed supplies and then fill up and go back and pick her up.

Now if they ever put the diesel pumps in the middle instead of on the end I'm in trouble.

I use Gas Buddy regularly, but I do have an issue with them in that they rarely verify station info. Wrong phone #'s and, more importantly for us diesel-burners, listing stations as having diesel when they, in fact, do not. Have run into that several times and nearly been burned when running near-empty.

Lyle

That's why I carry a 5 gal can in the back.

Smart move!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
I try to make all my stops at Wally World where they have diesel. Not only is it cheaper than the freeway truck stops but I use their credit card which gets anywhere from 5-15 cents off/gal. That adds up in a hurry. We ran 3700 mi last month on a trip and several times the difference in truck stop and Walmart was 30-35 cents/gal.

I will admit they don't want big rigs at their pumps and designed them that way but by being creative I've managed to get in everywhere I wanted to without unhooking.

Wally World has an app for their store and you can specify w/fuel pumps. Gas Buddy works real well also. I also use Gas Buddy to see which side of the state line to fill up on. Missouri diesel is 40 cents/gal cheaper than Illinois for example, same brand station just on different sides of the Mississippi.

I usually drop off the DW at the door of the store to get any needed supplies and then fill up and go back and pick her up.

Now if they ever put the diesel pumps in the middle instead of on the end I'm in trouble.

I use Gas Buddy regularly, but I do have an issue with them in that they rarely verify station info. Wrong phone #'s and, more importantly for us diesel-burners, listing stations as having diesel when they, in fact, do not. Have run into that several times and nearly been burned when running near-empty.

Lyle

That's why I carry a 5 gal can in the back.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hess stations like for every pump handle to be green (Hess-Green). Sometimes diesel pumps have orange handles.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rjsurfer wrote:
I just wish there was some convention at these gas stations that could point you to the diesel pump, something like a green light or cone on top of the pump so you could see it from the road.

I rarely use truck stops, no need, but I dislike driving up to a station slower than I would like to get the lay of the land so to speak before pulling in.

What I have learned is to avoid stations that have their pumps perpendicular to the road, pumps that are parallel or at some angle to the main road are usually easier to navigate with a fifth wheel.

Ron W.

Most all stations here in AZ have a green background on their sign boards at the street to designate diesel. I can't think of a single on here that doesn't. In CA, I've seen a green sign used for a different grade of gas, but not often.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
avvidclif1 wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
In the 13 years that I ran a diesel, I never used the trailer truck lanes. Sometimes the RV lane on the auto side and a lot of times the diesel pump in the auto lane if no specific RV pumps are designated.

First diesel p/up truck in 1985 - 6.9 Ferd.

Rarely found the need to use the truck (semis w/trailers) lanes at truck stops - but in 1985, not too many RV lanes for diesel.

Caveats at the *NON*-RV lanes:
Usually the truck pumps are high-flow - BEWARE !!
"Hit the top" (full) with one of those and you *WILL* be 'wearing' diesel..:D

As others have indicated - no matter which you use, *if* you have to go back inside...pull up (clear the pump).
*Very* unhappy truckers if you don't.

~

Often "normal" gas stations sell diesel at the same price as the truck stops - however you must "eyeball" the access *before* you commit to entering when towing.

Always double check your choice of nozzles at pumps that have both gasoline & diesel.
Diesel designation - (and smell) - should be obvious....but double check anyway.
DON'T rely on the usually green handle!
An error can be costly in time and money..:(

~

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish there was some convention at these gas stations that could point you to the diesel pump, something like a green light or cone on top of the pump so you could see it from the road.

I rarely use truck stops, no need, but I dislike driving up to a station slower than I would like to get the lay of the land so to speak before pulling in.

What I have learned is to avoid stations that have their pumps perpendicular to the road, pumps that are parallel or at some angle to the main road are usually easier to navigate with a fifth wheel.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

saddleup
Explorer
Explorer
Man, a lot of you guys have some good coordination going on with your DW's...that would never work for me ha ha - we are always on different wave lengths so to speak.

Also, never had a problem maneuvering at the gas stations with my travel trailer. The diesel pumps are always on the outside islands. Worst thing that I have to deal with is a car blocking my access to the diesel pump and the driver is taking their time in the store. As far as the maneuvering, I would expect it to be even easier now that I have a fifth wheel.
Jim & Kristie
2002 F-350 PSD, 4X4, Lariat, crew cab, long bed, SRW
2015 Cougar X-Lite High Country 28SGS 5'ver
Reese 16K & Tekonsha PrimusIQ digital controller
The K9 crew: Ginger the terrier, & the Yorkies - Heidi & Dora

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer

Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAS43 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Truck stops are usually easy off and on the freeway. So who cares if they are 4 cents a gallon more????? $.04 X 30 gallons = $1.20 savings, big deal.

No worries on clearance.

No worries on old fuel.

Out here I see more then 4¢ difference. More like 10¢ plus the fee for a credit card purchase. You may not consider it much savings but for many like me it adds up in a year, probably a couple of fill ups.
And as pointed out there is usually a fuel stop close to those big truck stops that has better prices, the same fresh fuel, and is just as easy in/out, even with my doubles. I have even seen truckers using them because they are less crowded. JMO

I will also use the other places if they have a RV line but in general I have my stops figured out along I-5 border to border where we do most of our traveling.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Truck stops are usually easy off and on the freeway. So who cares if they are 4 cents a gallon more????? $.04 X 30 gallons = $1.20 savings, big deal.

No worries on clearance.

No worries on old fuel.

Out here I see more then 4¢ difference. More like 10¢ plus the fee for a credit card purchase. You may not consider it much savings but for many like me it adds up in a year, probably a couple of fill ups.
And as pointed out there is usually a fuel stop close to those big truck stops that has better prices, the same fresh fuel, and is just as easy in/out, even with my doubles. I have even seen truckers using them because they are less crowded. JMO

Chalkie
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
{SNIP}You usually find that the diesel hoses have a green handle. However, I have found some to be colored yellow.

Practically all the gas stations that have diesel fuel advertise their price in a green color.{SNIP}

How true. Seems BP uses yellow which is common in the UK. But, really? You are not in the UK here, so give me a break. Also, you need to watch out for what percent bio-diesel you are getting. My truck is only certified for 5% so if I hit a pump that says 15-20% I move on if I can. A few times I have had to take what I can get, but fill up again as soon as I can.